Author Topic: cn-members is abusing his mod powers  (Read 5813 times)

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
cn-members came on Mumble and we talked about all this. We agreed there needs to be a happy medium between massive censorship, and devs being careless with their words.

I proposed to him a very simple solution:

1. Statements, Proposals, blogs, and posts should be peer-reviewed by the dev team before publishing. Their collective social intelligence should be much greater than the sum of their parts, and sufficient for anything blatantly bad PR.

2. The finalized text should be given to a dedicated Chinese community member to translate, to post along-side the text simultaneously.

To this, cn-members told me that they asked for this exactly, many many times over the past year. He said that the problem has come down to habits, and that the dev team needs to be proactive in changing their habits.

Can a dev comment on the above proposal? Are you aware the Chinese has been asking for this? Is there any reason why this cannot be implemented into your communications?

I didn't know this was going on.. but when ths PR thread came out this was exactly what I suggested regarding training devs and changing the culture. It's not the easy way, but it's the better way... and everyone in the end is better for it.

I think this makes sense... I just don't think it is a priority vs. the demands being made on everything else. I can see how this proposal would be treated as a 'we will get to that later' type thing. Problem is the issue festers.

I see no reason why stuff can't be peer reviewed before release. It's just good sense.

This doesn't seem to be all of it.  If this were all of it I'd agree 100%

No it's not all of it. The Chinese members who are now the puppet masters are still extremely pisssed about the merger. They want to delete Adams completely undeserved 30 million BTS BM decided he should get by way of that merger. The Devs bonus pay may be an issue too.

Do you have source?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Tuck Fheman

What merger?

The merger of BitShares, Vote, and DNS into one all-consuming super-powerful mega-supreme-overlord DAC to rule them all. BTS supply was inflated to 2.5 billion from 2 billion to effectively "buy out" these chains and have BM and the rest of the devs focus on one DAC instead of creating many mini-DACs.

Riots ensued. Them was dark times...

It was comparable to the Toba Catastrophe.
(thanks /r/history for boosting my online perceived IQ by 2 points)

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
What merger?

The merger of BitShares, Vote, and DNS into one all-consuming super-powerful mega-supreme-overlord DAC to rule them all. BTS supply was inflated to 2.5 billion from 2 billion to effectively "buy out" these chains and have BM and the rest of the devs focus on one DAC instead of creating many mini-DACs.

Riots ensued. Them was dark times...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:25:45 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline karnal

• View Profile
For those of us who are new..

What merger? Who's Adam?

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
cn-members came on Mumble and we talked about all this. We agreed there needs to be a happy medium between massive censorship, and devs being careless with their words.

1. Statements, Proposals, blogs, and posts should be peer-reviewed by the dev team before publishing. Their collective social intelligence should be much greater than the sum of their parts, and sufficient for anything blatantly bad PR.

2. The finalized text should be given to a dedicated Chinese community member to translate, to post along-side the text simultaneously.

To this, cn-members told me that they asked for this exactly, many many times over the past year. He said that the problem has come down to habits, and that the dev team needs to be proactive in changing their habits.

Can a dev comment on the above proposal? Are you aware the Chinese has been asking for this? Is there any reason why this cannot be implemented into your communications?

I didn't know this was going on.. but when ths PR thread came out this was exactly what I suggested regarding training devs and changing the culture. It's not the easy way, but it's the better way... and everyone in the end is better for it.

I think this makes sense... I just don't think it is a priority vs. the demands being made on everything else. I can see how this proposal would be treated as a 'we will get to that later' type thing. Problem is the issue festers.

I see no reason why stuff can't be peer reviewed before release. It's just good sense.

No it's not all of it. The Chinese members who are now the puppet masters are still extremely pisssed about the merger. They want to delete Adams completely undeserved 30 million BTS BM decided he should get by way of that merger. The Devs bonus pay may be an issue too.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
The post on bm blog was a misunderstanding. CN members has a tough job of building communication bridges between western com. members and chinese members who suffer more from clumsy communication on BM side because of the language barrier.

I know someone from China who speaks very good Mandarin (well, obviously) and also very good English.

Should I point this person to the forum?:)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
tl;dr don't censor. don't remove parts of users posts.

I'm against censorship too and I hope this case is considered a lessons learned.

also, regarding toast's post: he moved his thread.

Tuck Fheman

Well at least we are doing censorship right... The Chinese are the masters of it

"the Chinese" is a bit broad, no?  perhaps, "the Chinese government"?

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
For those who read this before cn-members remove this post,

This is getting way out of hand. Dozens of threads over the past few weeks have been deleted by 'cn-members', and is making others and myself feel like we are being silenced unjustly, even violated.

Micromanaging voices does not go unnoticed, and if your intention is to have better PR, there are better methods than following the footsteps of your own government. I should not have to worry about what I can or cannot say here, and if I'm getting a sock shoved in my mouth, don't expect me to not fight back.

Have you forgotten the principles of freedom and liberty that hold BitShares together?

The OP has a good reminder for what BitShares stands for - to secure freedom and liberty that we hold so dear to.

There was a long thread of discussions on the "new Professional PR Spokesman appointed for BitShares" from a number of participants (about 6/7 pages). It disappeared without a trace. "we are being silenced unjustly, even violated." sums it.

Well at least we are doing censorship right... The Chinese are the masters of it

I hope this is not the direction we are moving into. It is a worrisome development.

"BitShares - to secure complete censorship of ideas, expressions and all information deemed not suitable for you to consume"

Is this what we want for BitShares?

Edit: Thanks to the community asking for it, the thread re-appears here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14511.msg188664#msg188664.  But the OP was censored and re-written with 'approved information' by the mighty mod.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:25:43 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fuzzy

I can't think of a single time when keeping the public ignorant to truths they need to understand turns out well for anyone.  It doesn't matter what the intentions are...
This line of reasoning brings us to the paradigm when we excuse others from evolving to deal with the truth., adapt and empower us all, and gives credence to the idea that any single person is better qualified to dictate the circumstances with which others must live. ...

One can argue is for the greater good but who are they to decide for others?  Are we making the same mistakes as those who put us in our current paradigm?  Are we being too short sighted?

What do we get when we walk away from our principles out of fear that someone who took the easy road will win? 

Trust me...this isn't just a question I'm asking all of you. It's a question I'm asking myself first and foremost lately.  I don't have the answer but  I know what feels right and I know what got us here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:35:54 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Tuck Fheman

Probably not supposed to talk about it ( ::)), but it was mainly the fact that toast was gonna allocate his pay to other delegates while he helps out with Music for a bit.
Here is some Random Discussion about it https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14379

thanks, now I get what this PR post was about.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Let's do cn members and the bonds of western and chinese members a favor and not accuse each other.

The post on bm blog was a misunderstanding. CN members has a tough job of building communication bridges between western com. members and chinese members who suffer more from clumsy communication on BM side because of the language barrier.
  +5%

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Let's do cn members and the bonds of western and chinese members a favor and not accuse each other.

The post on bm blog was a misunderstanding. CN members has a tough job of building communication bridges between western com. members and chinese members who suffer
more from clumsy communication on BM side because of the language barrier.

+5% thank you
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline mint chocolate chip

Probably not supposed to talk about it ( ::)), but it was mainly the fact that toast was gonna allocate his pay to other delegates while he helps out with Music for a bit.
Here is some Random Discussion about it https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14379

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

Tuck Fheman

That's the second reference to Toast's "infamous" post.  I'm pretty bummed I don't get to read it.

ditto, would looooove to read it if anyone snagged it.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Can anyone briefly summarize what Toast's post was about?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline wasthatawolf

That's the second reference to Toast's "infamous" post.  I'm pretty bummed I don't get to read it.

Offline mint chocolate chip

The now infamous post by "Toast" and the "BitShares has PR" post were both removed from public visibility recently.

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
My intention was to help the communication between multiple parties in a more effective way without causing confusion .
It's 4:00 AM in my time and I'm still trying to do that .

It was never the intention of silence you .
If you ask around , you would know I help many people expressed their opinions .

Sorry to hurt your feeling . I must go to sleep now .
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
What subjects was he censoring?

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
For those who read this before cn-members remove this post,

This is getting way out of hand. Dozens of threads over the past few weeks have been deleted by 'cn-members', and is making others and myself feel like we are being silenced unjustly, even violated.

Micromanaging voices does not go unnoticed, and if your intention is to have better PR, there are better methods than following the footsteps of your own government. I should not have to worry about what I can or cannot say here, and if I'm getting a sock shoved in my mouth, don't expect me to not fight back.

Have you forgotten the principles of freedom and liberty that hold BitShares together?

I'm thinking of starting another forum if this keeps up.