Author Topic: Compiling Bitsharesx Daemon on Linux Ubuntu 12.04 32bit  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Thom

Indeed, if you have a system with 8GB of ram you're only able to access ~3.5GB of it with a 32 bit OS. This was the major reason for why a 64 bit architecture was created, not for speed.

I would be surprised if the BitShares code wouldn't compile on ubuntu 12, tho it might be a real pain to get the mix of packages you need to do so that don't conflict with your existing set. In my experience I've found it's easiest to use the recommended baseline of ubuntu 14.04 and follow the build instructions on the wiki. That worked for me at least.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
"You could try download the source code and compile under 32bit Linux by yourself." Tried that, Didn't work.
Post the error message here.

"By the way, since the full-node client is memory sensitive by now, it's unlikely to work well under 32bit environment (if it doesn't support 4G of RAM)." I have over 8GB of ram.
I'm just curious why you don't use 64bit if you have 8GB of ram.
"ls -l" will print why it's not working, I did it already. Nothing that helped resolve the issue, just said not 64 bit environment.
We could know if it's a file permission issue by command 'ls -l'. Would you like to post the output here? However I gets another error message under my Ubuntu if the permission is incorrect. Don't know the behavior of your Linux distribution though.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline vikram

"You could try download the source code and compile under 32bit Linux by yourself." Tried that, Didn't work.

You have to compile yourself for 32 bit. If it didn't work please post error messages.

Offline bitshareshelp

• View Profile
Please post error messages so people can help.

All it says is:

./bitshares_client --daemon
root@server:~/bitsharesGUI-0.6.2-linux-x86_64# ls
bitshares_client
root@server:~/bitsharesGUI-0.6.2-linux-x86_64# ./bitshares_client --daemon
-bash: ./bitshares_client: No such file or directory

Try this:
Code: [Select]
ls -l

Did you download the 64bit binary from github release page? I don't think it will work under 32bit Linux. You could try download the source code and compile under 32bit Linux by yourself.

By the way, since the full-node client is memory sensitive by now, it's unlikely to work well under 32bit environment (if it doesn't support 4G of RAM).

"By the way, since the full-node client is memory sensitive by now, it's unlikely to work well under 32bit environment (if it doesn't support 4G of RAM)." I have over 8GB of ram.
"ls -l" will print why it's not working, I did it already. Nothing that helped resolve the issue, just said not 64 bit environment.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

All it says is:

bitshares_client

Try this:
Code: [Select]
ls -l

Did you download the 64bit binary from github release page? I don't think it will work under 32bit Linux. You could try download the source code and compile under 32bit Linux by yourself.

By the way, since the full-node client is memory sensitive by now, it's unlikely to work well under 32bit environment (if it doesn't support 4G of RAM).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:32:28 am by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bitshareshelp

• View Profile

All it says is:

bitshares_client

Offline vikram

Offline bitshareshelp

• View Profile
Hi, has anyone succeeded in doing this?
Unlike most coins, bitshares is giving the error that it only accepts 64 bit distributions...is there a fix for this for a 32bit linux ubuntu server?
Thanks