Author Topic: East and West - Join us on Mumble and meet your fellow community members  (Read 4829 times)

Offline fuzzy

34 in right now!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

The challenge we face is complex and to do with the organizational structure of a horizontal hierarchy where there is no 'inside' and 'outside', no efficient top-down corporate structure, making business operations, such as branding and PR and getting anything done to a professional "official" standard very difficult.  This is a side-effect of the decentralisation required to be secure from government shutdown. 

It's not about a communication problem between East and West, it's a systemic problem about the structure of the way BitShares works.  It's a complex problem that can't be solved by an ad-hoc meeting with no agenda, plus the last one of these events needed a vocal translator, a professional, rather than someone from the community.

Still, I'm curious to see what comes of the event and might be able to attend some of it.

It is precisely that lack of sufficient top down corporate structure identified that is a large contributing factor to our lack of communication.
Traditional, hierarchical structures are very efficient in one KIND of communication: one way,  top down communication where an order us issued from the top of the structure and limited communication is allowed to occur in the opposite direction.

As for a communication between the east and west...I agree. It was yet another PR blunder that effects the entire user base. It was done in a way that marks yet again what happens when people aspiring to lead decide to do so by fiat without the input from all the system's actors.  Even today's corporate structures recognize this.

This is actually one reason I believe we should do this. Because we need a way to help build communication bridges that help the community work through the damage to confidence caused by these events.  The first step in this process is trying to find the cultural similarities and differences of our community's participants...and to try to assess the common goals.

As for branding,  it has never been an issue of branding.  It is an issue of selling people on the merits of a crypto ecosystem that actually gives them a choice on how to move forward.  Branding is not that hard.  Sell them a system that gives THEM control in a way they don't currently have.  Of course these unilateral decisions without even informing the community and smaller investors make that vision a bit tough to sell...because they are ultimately elaborate lies with no substances if we don't back them up with actions that prove at least an intention to move in that direction.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:40:40 pm by fuzzy »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
The challenge we face is complex and to do with the organizational structure of a horizontal hierarchy where there is no 'inside' and 'outside', no efficient top-down corporate structure, making business operations, such as branding and PR and getting anything done to a professional "official" standard very difficult.  This is a side-effect of the decentralisation required to be secure from shutdown. 

It's not about a communication problem between East and West, but still I'm curious to see what comes of the event and might be able to attend some of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:55:53 am by matt608 »

Offline JoeyD

Can we start this thing off today by coming up with a big-national anthem?
I'd we vote on it, I'd like to put up "Recovery", by Justin Bieber as a candidate

Who is this biebuh guy anyway. I never listened or heard a single song from bieboo, but judging from all the reactions I've seen, you might guarantee an all time low attendance record with that. Although you might attract screaming teenage girls instead. Hmm, chances are we could sell that recording as effective wildlife repellent, if the girls are young enough they even might work as mosquito repellent. Or are the noisy female  mosquitoes attracted to high pitch squealing, biology is not my strong point.

Offline fuzzy

Can we start this thing off today by coming up with a big-national anthem?
I'd we vote on it, I'd like to put up "Recovery", by Justin Bieber as a candidate

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
I don't mean to be confrontational. : ) I agree, spoken word leaves far less to be misunderstood.  And the mumble space is a great tool that I hope gets more and more use.   I only mean to bring light, to dispel the idea that getting the public together is the more efficient / productive use of time.   The forum is a good example of this.  more than 50% of the public has nothing useful to contribute and will happily waste your time, piss and bicker, for as long as you are willing to give it to them.   Private, select, focused groups, will always out perform the public.  That was my only agenda / angle in saying that.

The above sentiment isnt meant in regards to this meeting, and I hope not to detract from it. : ) 

I always look forward to mumble sessions, because you never know whats going to come up.  I'm also extremely interested in hearing from the Chinese folks.  I will definitely try and make the meeting.  Thank you for putting this on,  it's appreciated.

Yes, so true Xeldal. Some people got together, and talked, and talked, and talked, and talked and talked. After days and weeks and months, they wondered why world was still the same :)
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Xeldal

You are  correct.  I also think this event might actually  contain elements of discussion about the elephant in the room at some point.

I'm not going to push that personally,  but it might seem to be something worth considering.

I won't prohibit people from expressing themselves. In fact, I think it is important that we start to establish a regular "real-time" vocal dialogue, because the forums have an obvious history of being an ineffective tool when it comes to clear communication. There's a reason why diplomatic relations are best conducted around a table and in person. We will try the next best thing - a virtual conference.

They are also typically in private.

While this may be true, I made this analogy for the purpose of illustration. There are private spaces, and there are public spaces. The forum is a public space. The dev hangouts are public spaces. This will also be a public space. The "diplomacy" that I alluded to was to suggest that each individual will have to make their own choice about how to conduct themselves. I have a feeling most of us will chose to do so with dignity, and I will continue to encourage this tactic.

I don't mean to be confrontational. : ) I agree, spoken word leaves far less to be misunderstood.  And the mumble space is a great tool that I hope gets more and more use.   I only mean to bring light, to dispel the idea that getting the public together is the more efficient / productive use of time.   The forum is a good example of this.  more than 50% of the public has nothing useful to contribute and will happily waste your time, piss and bicker, for as long as you are willing to give it to them.   Private, select, focused groups, will always out perform the public.  That was my only agenda / angle in saying that.

The above sentiment isnt meant in regards to this meeting, and I hope not to detract from it. : ) 

I always look forward to mumble sessions, because you never know whats going to come up.  I'm also extremely interested in hearing from the Chinese folks.  I will definitely try and make the meeting.  Thank you for putting this on,  it's appreciated.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
You are  correct.  I also think this event might actually  contain elements of discussion about the elephant in the room at some point.

I'm not going to push that personally,  but it might seem to be something worth considering.

I won't prohibit people from expressing themselves. In fact, I think it is important that we start to establish a regular "real-time" vocal dialogue, because the forums have an obvious history of being an ineffective tool when it comes to clear communication. There's a reason why diplomatic relations are best conducted around a table and in person. We will try the next best thing - a virtual conference.

While this may be true, I made this analogy for the purpose of illustration. There are private spaces, and there are public spaces. The forum is a public space. The dev hangouts are public spaces. This will also be a public space. The "diplomacy" that I alluded to was to suggest that each individual will have to make their own choice about how to conduct themselves. I have a feeling most of us will chose to do so with dignity, and I will continue to encourage this tactic.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:23:24 am by crypto_prometheus »
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Xeldal

Offline fuzzy

Feels good that people are starting to recognize this is the issue...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:19:33 am by fuzzy »

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile

- Cicero

Offline JA

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

"Ladies and Gentlemen ... Let's Get Ready to Mumbllllllllllllllle!"

Lol. ...ridiculous.

Tuck Fheman

"Ladies and Gentlemen ... Let's Get Ready to Mumbllllllllllllllle!"

Offline fuzzy