Author Topic: Potentially weak spots  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Come-from-Beyond

• View Profile
There was my thread about hypothetical attacks on BitShares somewhere. Those attacks were technical ones, targeting implementation of BitShares. In this thread I'd like to list potentially weak spots in BitShares concept. I don't provide very detailed descriptions, it all was already discussed on BitcoinTalk. If short description is not enough - ask me and I'll explain the details.

The goal of this thread is to write down the info somewhere, to get peer review, to be pointed where I'm wrong and maybe to help to improve BitShares.

1. Delegate election is not very "democratic". The top delegate - market.cn.group101 - got only 16.71% according to https://bitsharesblocks.com/delegates. The issue can be completely or partially solved with another voting approach.
2. Delegates control the only mean of communication available to bots and smart contracts. The same problem as in a state that controls all mass media arises. Humans can use other means of communication (e.g. this forum) but DACs don't have this option. The issue can be solved by introducing something leading to "separation of powers".
3. Delegates validate blocks one by one. Several branches of the blockchain may exist and compete against each other. Voted-out delegates may generate a fake blockchain to trick newly connected nodes. Something similar to Economic Clustering (Nxt) could solve this issue completely. Validation of every block by 51 delegates may solve the issue of competing branches.

These are 3 main points. There are some more but I need more time to analyze them and make sure that BitShares indeed work as I understand it.