Author Topic: How to use one account on two separated machine?  (Read 4384 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Afaik yes .. unless you import privkeys from external sources ..

I am having accounts and subaccounts, with vesting balances on certain accounts. How best to have them on separate machines?
IMHO it's best to have a wallet which contains all your accounts (always create new account in this wallet), then export keys to other wallets for trading or running delegates.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

I am having accounts and subaccounts, with vesting balances on certain accounts. How best to have them on separate machines?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline vikram

Note that external sources can also include genesis and vesting balances.

I would recommend sticking with the wallet JSON backups whenever possible, and only trying to regenerate childs keys if necessary.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline monsterer

if you want to only handle funds and market with your account you are goos to go with only the active key ... if you want to register a new subaccount or want to change you public data field you are required to have your ownet key imported ..

Both can be imported with just wallet_import_private_key ..

They can be exported witg wallet_dump_account_private_key with the parameters owner_kry and active_key .. read the help to the command

But is storing only the owner key sufficient to maintain a backup?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
if you want to only handle funds and market with your account you are goos to go with only the active key ... if you want to register a new subaccount or want to change you public data field you are required to have your ownet key imported ..

Both can be imported with just wallet_import_private_key ..

They can be exported witg wallet_dump_account_private_key with the parameters owner_kry and active_key .. read the help to the command

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I would not recommend this for normal usage.

If it is a registered account you can probably get away with it, but you need to make sure you import both your owner key and active key into both wallets.
Why both? Is there something wrong in my understanding above?

Nvm you are right--for normal usage you should only need to import your active key.

What is not 'normal usage'?  And how to import owner key?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline vikram

If it is a registered account you can probably get away with it, but you need to make sure you import both your owner key and active key into both wallets.

Nvm you are right--for normal usage you should only need to import your active key.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline vikram

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I need to use one account on two machines (one GUI, one CLI). I imported master private key (dump public key shown in Keys tab). Then I tried to send fund to TITAN account but it only shows in one machine (I think...) How can I solve this? Send to address?
you imported the private key of active key, or private key of owner key? Maybe some issue related to this.. I had succeeded with importing both keys.

Private key of owner key I guess. Thanks for your help :)

you only need to import the active key (and all private keys for older active keys if available) .. and I recommend to have a different active and owner key for security reasons ... if your active key is compromised you can still use your account name (tied to the owner key) and generate a new active key .. funds in the active key might be lost .. but the user name is not ... unless your owner key is stolen

Read more:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14344.new#new

Offline bytemaster

I suggest using the light wallet if you want 1 account on 2 machines.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline monsterer

Exactly which key does one need to export in order to get this to work?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I need to use one account on two machines (one GUI, one CLI). I imported master private key (dump public key shown in Keys tab). Then I tried to send fund to TITAN account but it only shows in one machine (I think...) How can I solve this? Send to address?
you imported the private key of active key, or private key of owner key? Maybe some issue related to this.. I had succeeded with importing both keys.

Private key of owner key I guess. Thanks for your help :)
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
I occasionally run same wallet on different machines.

After some heavy use of one wallet/account,
the other wallet didn't reflect the changes anymore.

I guess, one wallet/account had generated more keys than the other wallet had.

To catch up with the other wallet, I had to
Code: [Select]
wallet_regenerate_keys <account_name> <number of keys to generate>
Depending on <number of keys to generate>, this can take some time.

then
Code: [Select]
rescan <block number from where to update the other wallet>

This wasn't the most pleasant experience. At the moment, I would suggest not using same wallet/account on separate devices (I wonder how it will work if I use 'public account' account instead of 'titan account').

Moreover, the wallet where I 'regenerated' the keys suggested moving funds to another wallet/account as it considered itself not safe to use (I don't remember the exact phrasing).