Author Topic: where do i find the privat key of my bitshare wallet ?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
When running "blockchain_get_account <account>" you will see the public keys for owner and active .. they may be the same ..

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
How to get hold of the owner_key? Does owner_key need to be imported into the empty wallet too?
The wallet from which you generated your account name should have the private key for the owner key.
Depending on when you created your account it might be the same as the active key. Whats the account names? I can check from the blockchain

After regenerate keys, I still have the "unknown name" for past tx of registration type although it resolves the transfer-type tx.
Maybe you need to use a larger number
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds#Regenerate_account_transaction_keys

I meant what command can I use to show the 'owner key' in the original wallet.

Code: [Select]
wallet_dump_account_private_key <name> owner_key
I tried the site - http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds#Regenerate_account_transaction_keys, I can recover the 'account names' for all transfer-type tx but strangely account-registration-type tx still have the 'unknown' values.
If you have not imported the owner key that might be the reason .. registration for subaccounts have to be signed with the owner key of the father account .. but don't nail me on that ..

owner_key as in literally the word "owner_key". Okay, I get it now. 

The registrations were for normal accounts (no subaccounts).
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How to get hold of the owner_key? Does owner_key need to be imported into the empty wallet too?
The wallet from which you generated your account name should have the private key for the owner key.
Depending on when you created your account it might be the same as the active key. Whats the account names? I can check from the blockchain

After regenerate keys, I still have the "unknown name" for past tx of registration type although it resolves the transfer-type tx.
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds#Regenerate_account_transaction_keys

I tried the site - http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds#Regenerate_account_transaction_keys, I can recover the 'account names' for all transfer-type tx but strangely account-registration-type tx still have the 'unknown' values.
If you have not imported the owner key that might be the reason .. registration for subaccounts have to be signed with the owner key of the father account .. but don't nail me on that ..

Offline cube

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline cube

• View Profile
It seems.. by using json backups it's possible to recover lost account names, which is not possible by using exported keys.
I can confirm this!

I have a wallet with two accounts and I like to split it into two wallets of one account each. I wish to avoid all the 'unknown name' problem.  Any idea how to go about?

1) make a backup of your wallet
2) dump the "owner_key" for the accounts (these give access to the registered name) and store them offline/securly
3) dump the "active_key" for access to the funds and trading
wallet_dump_account_private_key <name> active_key
4) import your active_key into an empty wallet
wallet_import_private_key <wif-active_key>
5) regenerate some keys
wallet_regenerate_keys <account> 20000
6) rescan
rescan

done

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:25:51 pm by cube »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It seems.. by using json backups it's possible to recover lost account names, which is not possible by using exported keys.
I can confirm this!

I have a wallet with two accounts and I like to split it into two wallets of one account each. I wish to avoid all the 'unknown name' problem.  Any idea how to go about?

1) make a backup of your wallet
2) dump the "owner_key" for the accounts (these give access to the registered name) and store them offline/securly
3) dump the "active_key" for access to the funds and trading
wallet_dump_account_private_key <name> active_key
4) import your active_key into an empty wallet
wallet_import_private_key <wif-active_key>
5) regenerate some keys
wallet_regenerate_keys <account> 20000
6) rescan
rescan

done

Offline cube

• View Profile
I can confirm this!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I can confirm this!

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
yes i do work with the backup but i was just curiouse if i can do a privkey backup too
i will try the console
thanks a lot
if so if would recommend to use
wallet_dump_account_private_key (or so) instead .. it takes "owner_key" and "active_key" as parameter .. ghe first one gives access to you account name .. the latter gives access to the funs in the account only

Offline roselee

• View Profile
yes i do work with the backup but i was just curiouse if i can do a privkey backup too
i will try the console
thanks a lot

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I would recommend to do a backup instead of working with palintext unencrypted privkeys

Offline Methodise

today i wondered where i might find the privat key of my bitshares.
in the wallet i didnt find it
does such a thing exist in a bitshare wallet ?
and if where do i find it ?
thanks a lot for answers

Top right - username -> advanced -> console ->  wallet_dump_private_key

I hope that helps.
BTS: methodise

Offline roselee

• View Profile
today i wondered where i might find the privat key of my bitshares.
in the wallet i didnt find it
does such a thing exist in a bitshare wallet ?
and if where do i find it ?
thanks a lot for answers