Author Topic: FollowMyVote Video: "Powered by BitShares"  (Read 2966 times)

Offline mint chocolate chip

FMV was a startup that needed financing.

Normally startups do not turn to other startups for their financing.

jaran

Thanks Ben, but can you elaborate on where the synergies are regarding voting?

For example here is a dis-synergy: When BitShares has prediction markets people will start to use it for things like predicting when the president kicks the bucket. How will that go down well with Californian voting officials who are employing that same blockchain for voting services?

Blockchains are basically about anarchy (at least till now).

^^^^ this.

Depending on politicians to grow our ecosystem is not a very wise strategy IMO, certainly not worth 30M BTS even at the current marketcap. Time investment wasn't too great, but this should always have been viewed as a long term manuever, and was / is not suitable for our current level of maturity.

Hell, we don't even eat our own dogfood in regards to voting, so how much credibility could we have? Don't we believe in our stuff enough to use it ourselves? Demonstrate your tech first, then market it. We should have used it internally or had plans to along with FMV IF that was the best way to go. I don't believe it is, There are far more important things to do first IMO.

Well said.  The 30M shares is a dark cloud hanging over the project. 

Offline Thom

For example here is a dis-synergy: When BitShares has prediction markets people will start to use it for things like predicting when the president kicks the bucket. How will that go down well with Californian voting officials who are employing that same blockchain for voting services?

^^^^ this.

Depending on politicians to grow our ecosystem is not a very wise strategy IMO, certainly not worth 30M BTS even at the current marketcap. Time investment wasn't too great, but this should always have been viewed as a long term manuever, and was / is not suitable for our current level of maturity.

Hell, we don't even eat our own dogfood in regards to voting, so how much credibility could we have? Don't we believe in our stuff enough to use it ourselves? Demonstrate your tech first, then market it. We should have used it internally or had plans to along with FMV IF that was the best way to go. I don't believe it is, there are far more important things to do first IMO.

That said, all this is retroactive armchair quaterbacking. I can certainly see how difficult the proposition was that Adam brought to Stan / Dan. Picture this scenario - Adam is turned down but went to NXT who pulled off the demo to politicians as well as implemented it internally for proposals. Then explain that choice to BitShares shareholders.

So don't be too hard on Stan / Dan. Hindsight is always 20/20. But will it happen again? Not if Stan / Dan use the review board.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:57:19 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
@newmine .. never heard about vote being closed-source .. IIRC there is a voting branch on github

I am pretty sure that is for Bitshares VOTE which is completely seperate from Follow My Vote stuff. https://github.com/BitShares/vote

FMV does claim to be an open source technology, but so far I cant find the source.

You even have to "request" a demo as of now.

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
when can we try vote function  on at least devshares?

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
Is there a way for me to give away my "voting token" to a representative who could vote in my behalf and reverse his decision if I don't agree with him on particular issues?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

You need to think bigger, Pinky.

Block chains certainly contribute to our communities anarchical aspirations, but governments aren't going away any time soon.  To conquer the world, we need a many-pronged approach, some of which play nicely with The Powers That Be.

You have heard us say many times that, while we want to appeal to the tribal crypto community as much as possible, we also want to make inroads into many demographics that have never heard of crypto.  Supporting certain government sanctioned activities can make crypto more acceptable to that half 90% of the world's population.

We want to appeal to special interests for everything from "save the whales" to "end the Fed",  from preppies to preppers, and from the politically active to the politically exasperated.  Each of these requires a different message to bring them to BitShares.  Each has one thing in common:  the desire to be heard!  This is where we plan to make use of the tools of polling, petitions, and voting.  Almost everyone has some issue they care about that can be approached under the motivation of giving them a voice to express their opinion.

So Follow My Vote is a great on-ramp mechanism which, when coupled with good marketing strategies, can bring people into our ecosystem who didn't even know they cared about crypto technology.

Then there's Dan's vision of a global small town where people interact based on reputation rather than anonymity.  Certified identity verification technology, essential for voting and petition and demographically aware polling will contribute greatly to a society where your reputation is an asset you will want to behave well to protect.

That's why the latest Follow My Vote video is particularly interesting. It shows how to bootstrap your public identity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJstfzHBU38

Success of BitShares depends on expanding beyond the world of the crypto-literate.  We will soon be able to do opinion-based targeted marketing funnels you have not yet dreamed of.  Follow My Vote is a key ingredient in that far bigger strategy.

Of course, when you want to deal anonymously you should have a way to do so.  But reputation based transactions are a huge untapped opportunity.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:45:18 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
The value to society is incalculable.  The marketing value of Vote to BitShares is potentially gigantic.  There is a great deal of synergy between all these transaction/ledger based technologies.

I enjoyed the video, comes across with great energy, though it was a touch hard to follow.....no pun intended.

Follow My Vote is proprietary software and will never make Bitshares profitable if by some far off chance it does take off. It will only make BM, AK and his team rich, not the Bitshares holder.

That would be news to me.....certainly not the value proposition I bought into :)

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

That made me laugh.....perhaps the president will have to develop thicker skin.  Predictions aren't personal are they?

The synergy is in the fact that all these use cases rely on the core invention....secure transactions and record keeping without trusting a centralized authority.  My point is this, if millions of people decide to  utilize the BitShares blockchain because they trust it enough to do voting......surely they will come to use it for banking, trading, markets etc. 

More reliable voting would be closer to representative democracy than we have now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:37:32 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@newmine .. never heard about vote being closed-source .. IIRC there is a voting branch on github

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
The value to society is incalculable.  The marketing value of Vote to BitShares is potentially gigantic.  There is a great deal of synergy between all these transaction/ledger based technologies.

I enjoyed the video, comes across with great energy, though it was a touch hard to follow.....no pun intended.

Follow My Vote is proprietary software and will never make Bitshares profitable if by some far off chance it does take off. It will only make BM, AK and his team rich, not the Bitshares holder.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:52:35 pm by speedy »

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:42:26 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I still dont see how Vote is going to increase demand for BitShares.

With BitAssets its clear - 1 BitUSD requires $3 of BTS. How does Vote compare to that value proposition?

People use cryptocurrency because they want to break free of control systems like banks and governments etc. Given thats true its a colossal waste of time to pitch blockchain solutions to California voting officials.

Vote to me will always be the epitome of BitShares' lack of focus. What was that number again - 30million BTS? I thought Ethereum was supposed to be the project that tries to do everything.

But hey what do i know.

If I had known that the merger was going to bring on so much Vote baggage I would have gone 100% BitUSD back then.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:10:23 pm by speedy »

Offline fuzzy

Giving Credit where it is due...

Click^ for video

Another Screenshot...

This is a great opportunity for everyone who generally spends their energy worrying to instead use that energy to stand up and share this with the world!
Tweet it!
Facebook it!
Tumblr!
Share it!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:17:32 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D