Author Topic: Poll: List BitBTC:BitUSD as a Featured Market  (Read 1944 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I can always test it with 3x3 to see if it looks ok.

Sounds great!

Offline svk

This would actually be a good move. Why the hell don't we have that as the internal market?
Maybe more people would use Bitshares if we did.

It is one internal market, we just arent showing/promoting it. Im not sure what you mean by THE internal market since the BTS token is the only thing that exists initially.

I agree with mf-tzo that we could show other cross markets too such as BitUSD:BitEUR. svk was worried about having too many markets on the page - maybe after the first 6 BTS markets we could have one row of 3 cross markets. A 3x3 grid would look good: BitBTC:BitUSD, BitEUR:BitUSD and BitGLD:BitUSD.

I can always test it with 3x3 to see if it looks ok.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline speedy

• View Profile
This would actually be a good move. Why the hell don't we have that as the internal market?

It is one internal market, we just arent showing/promoting it. Im not sure what you mean by THE internal market since the BTS token is the only thing that exists initially.

I agree with mf-tzo that we could show other cross markets too such as BitUSD:BitEUR. svk was worried about having too many markets on the page - maybe after the first 6 BTS markets we could have one row of 3 cross markets. A 3x3 grid would look good: BitBTC:BitUSD, BitEUR:BitUSD and BitGLD:BitUSD.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I think bitEur:bitUsd pair would be interesting...I am hesitating to convert my BTS to bitEur at the moment because 1) the back and forth of checking if biteur is at fair price just confuses me 2) not much liquidity for biteur 3) I hesitate to sell my BTS for an iliquid asset such as biteur.

But if I can trade directly biteur for bitusd I can only check this exchange rate which I am familiar with, it will increase biteur liquidity,avoid the back and forth for checking the price, I would be less hesitant to exchange my bitusd for biteur, I will be able to do the normal fiat exchange without risking my BTS potential upside.

Bitusd:BitBTC also will be obviously interesting.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline speedy

• View Profile
Like you say it's a one-liner. I'm open to changing it, but I prefer to keep 6 markets in the featured list, so we'd need to replace one of the old ones. If we were to do this I think bitEUR would be the obvious market to replace.

We could also allow the users to select their preferred market, either through a drop-down or simply linking it to the recent markets list (show the 6 most recent markets for example).

Making it dynamic based on volume is expensive in terms of resources because this information is not available directly from the client and would need to be calculated by looping over all the thousands of market combinations..

Thanks svk!

Making it dynamic is not needed right now. We want to focus our user's attention (and money) on the key markets. Yes a history of preferred markets is great for experienced users, but new users (and viewers of the website) need to be shown what to look at first.

If you have to take 1 away then yes I agree sacrifice bitEUR. BitBTC:BitUSD is way more important.

Once this takes off people will ask themselves "why am I still leaving my money on BitStamp where it can be hacked, AND is not earning me any interest?"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:53:41 am by speedy »

Offline svk

Like you say it's a one-liner. I'm open to changing it, but I prefer to keep 6 markets in the featured list, so we'd need to replace one of the old ones. If we were to do this I think bitEUR would be the obvious market to replace.

We could also allow the users to select their preferred market, either through a drop-down or simply linking it to the recent markets list (show the 6 most recent markets for example).

Making it dynamic based on volume is expensive in terms of resources because this information is not available directly from the client and would need to be calculated by looping over all the thousands of market combinations..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
send a pull request on github and let the devs know about this discussion, too!

Offline speedy

• View Profile
I posted this buried in another thread but it deserves its own thread IMHO. Sorry if this is boring but I just get so frustrated with the price and I see this as a way to keep people using our blockchain.

Can we make the BitBTC:BitUSD market one of the featured markets? It doesnt matter if it has low-volume right now, people need to know about it before they will use it. BitShares is after all supposed to be a way to trade Bitcoin without counterparty risk, and people overwhelmingly want to do that with the cost basis in dollars, not in BTS.

Our competitors are thinking about how to write a contract for it: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/1435/anyone-interesting-in-options-futures-cfd-market-contract We already have this market setup but for some reason we are not advertising it. Our implementation with the supporting wallet website will of course be better than some random ethereum script.

We need to publicize this market everywhere: https://wallet.bitshares.org/#/market/BitBTC:BitUSD/Guest/buy
Add to that the upcoming bond-market, and the BitBTC:BitUSD market will be impossible for traders to ignore BitShares because its so useful.

The change is a one-liner (I tested it locally):
Code: [Select]
$scope.featured_markets.push "BitUSD:#{main_asset.symbol}"
$scope.featured_markets.push "BitCNY:#{main_asset.symbol}"
$scope.featured_markets.push "BitBTC:BitUSD"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:18:11 am by speedy »