Author Topic: Wiki.bitshares.org should be syndicated from github.com/BitShares........ right?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline betax

• View Profile
Also arhag:  You have a ton of potentially useful proposals scattered all about the forum. What would you think about organizing them on some central repo with descriptions and author attribution? I think it would be a good idea to keep these gems from getting buried in the forum.

Well, I have already sort of started that process with this post. But as I mentioned in that thread, I would really like to start seeing a list of post-1.0 features ordered by priority on an official roadmap. Once we have a process in place where people can submit formal proposals for changes or new features to the core devs and have them actually maintain a prioritized list of features to implement on an official roadmap, I would be happy to tidy up my proposals and officially submit them as part of this formal process.

But many people have been asking the core devs for a proper roadmap for a while now, and so far nothing. And GitHub issues and milestones are not a great tool for that and, as you can see in that linked thread, apparently one shouldn't derive any meaning or expectations from the fact that an issue happens to be tagged for any particular milestone.

We need at least a sticky that lists all proposals and links to the original forum, just like you have done in that thread. I believe most of us have already thought similar ideas. but if we can index those proposals we would start a single place for discussion to formalise the solution.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Also arhag:  You have a ton of potentially useful proposals scattered all about the forum. What would you think about organizing them on some central repo with descriptions and author attribution? I think it would be a good idea to keep these gems from getting buried in the forum.

Well, I have already sort of started that process with this post. But as I mentioned in that thread, I would really like to start seeing a list of post-1.0 features ordered by priority on an official roadmap. Once we have a process in place where people can submit formal proposals for changes or new features to the core devs and have them actually maintain a prioritized list of features to implement on an official roadmap, I would be happy to tidy up my proposals and officially submit them as part of this formal process.

But many people have been asking the core devs for a proper roadmap for a while now, and so far nothing. And GitHub issues and milestones are not a great tool for that and, as you can see in that linked thread, apparently one shouldn't derive any meaning or expectations from the fact that an issue happens to be tagged for any particular milestone.

Offline robrigo

Hey gamey if you haven't already, please hook up with robrigo so he can get you into the slack and mumbles.
I think he's settin something up for this weekend so we can coord this.
Thanx :)

This post made my day  :)

:)

;)

To clarify what Ken said: I have made a separate slack team to organize this effort so I can invite local Detroiters that I meet without bringing a bunch of unknown users into the NullStreet slack. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.

Even better...also coordinated with the board of directors-delegates-PR team and make another slack for it in Denver and San Diego! This should fix the wiki, the marketing, the bts price and all...

Haha tonyk. I understand your cynicism. I don't think this is a silver bullet by any means.

I'm attempting to tap into the local maker and entrepreneur community to find a team that I can work on this with. What I'd like to do with Bitshares Institute is distill an explanation of what bitshares is that can be tailored to different early adopter demographics... and eventually everybody. I haven't claimed this will fix the wiki, marketing, or price... but all we can do is inspire others to join the cause, make a solid attempt to add some value to the ecosystem, and find more users that derive some value from the network. In particular I think it would be really cool to find a way to enable artists outside of the music industry with UIAs somehow... like painters, sculptors, and other content producers. I can tap into these demographics locally with the right model and create materials that can be replicated in other metro cities.

If you think you could use a Slack style software to organize a group of people than by all means go for it. It's a great way to aggregate information about different topics and collaborate. All I'm trying to do with the Bitshares Institute slack is communicate with a team I'm starting to further the development of educational materials, documentation, and the like. I don't think we need a separate slack for each geographic area unless there are similar initiatives... which is also why I am inviting anybody that wants to join and add their thoughts. I understand a lot of this already happens in Nullstreet which is also great, but by making a separate team I can add anyone I locally that I want to collaborate with.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Hey gamey if you haven't already, please hook up with robrigo so he can get you into the slack and mumbles.

;)

Mine too:)  :P

zerosum

;)

To clarify what Ken said: I have made a separate slack team to organize this effort so I can invite local Detroiters that I meet without bringing a bunch of unknown users into the NullStreet slack. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.

Even better...also coordinated with the board of directors-delegates-PR team and make another slack for it in Denver and San Diego! This should fix the wiki, the marketing, the bts price and all...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:36:28 am by tonyk2 »

Offline robrigo

;)

zerosum

;)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I agree that we should refactor the bitshares wiki and overall documentation into a gitbook format!

What if I told you I've been strategizing a Bitshares project to serve a purpose very similar to that described by  Ethereum Builders? https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/03/20/ethereum-builders-experiment/

@gamey I think he means something anyone can easily send a contribution to via gitbooks, like http://ethereumbuilders.gitbooks.io/guide/content/design_rationale.html

Bitshares Institute will include peer to peer community driven learning in a cMOOC format on p2pu.org, to contribute to the set of learning materials and beginner documentation and foster a strong open source community of collaborators and create materials to help on board new comers to the bitshares ecosystem.

Anyone who wants to be involved with "The Redocumenting" please PM me.  8) I've been getting heads together in Detroit to work on this but would love to expand Bitshares Institute to other locales and it sounds like you would be a great contributor to the effort Ken!

Bitshares Institute is currently working on:
-finishing the Wikipedia.org initial draft
-Syllabus
-Glossary of terms
-Launching website MVP
-Delegate proposal

Other ideas
-Organize community proposals in one place until it can happen on the blockchain
-Evolve the technical documentation of the codebase where we can.
-Support the p2pU course with video material explaining for concepts and practical use cases.
-Work on materials other embassies can use to educate their local communities about Bitshares.

I've been trying to keep this under wraps but as you can tell the bitshares community is in dire need of more educational materials, updated documentation and filling in the gaps, tutorials (video or otherwise). There has been some great work in this area by Max, Riverhead, Xeroc, Cass, and many others. The goal of bitshares institute is to expand on that and help fill in gaps of understanding / reduce the barrier to entry, cognitively and practically!

edit: here's an outline of the topics I wanted to cover at the last meetup- it starts to describe the role I see a Bitshares embassy like Bitshares Institute taking. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZMwEbDLn5WaxISweAXgdtlJoARhyXgFFS4Z0cI5Tb4/edit

+5%  This has been a huge problem with bitshares for some time.  At one point I was really into trying to push this, even offered to work cheaply in VA but changed my mind over pursuing this because of certain people/decisions involved.  Keep up the good work.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I'm not sure what you are getting at.  The community wiki just needs an account to edit (wiki.bitshares.org).  However, there are 2, the other by the developers that has very technically oriented documentation.  Usually I create accounts for wiki.bitshares.org, on request but some others can do it.  If you wish to edit the wiki on wiki.bitshares.org tell me and I'll create you an account.
Honestly I don't know what you mean by syndicated?

Gamey, I'm not attacking you in any way.
I know tech docs and user docs are totally different but both need to be in a place where we can all pitch in. The job of building and maintaining just the docs alone is going to get way too big for one person to handle. I'd like to help with both the DNS and wiki stuff, but both need to be (dare i say) centralized someplace like github for this. Gitbook would be a major plus.

Doesn't github allow you to syndicate your content from their site to wiki.bitshares.org? I'm sorry, I thought they allowed that. Even the bts website could be hosted from github too.

Rob, I can help you out with just about everything you listed below too.

I sent fuzzy all my personal info if you guys wanna hangout/skype at some point.

By helping Bitshares, I am helping our ePlug project. Of course I have an agenda. I'm also financially vested in Bitshares now and as I can afford it and my trust is earned I am dumping more and more into Bitshares as time goes on. I will do whatever it takes to make my investments succeed.
I'm with ya.

I didn't think you were attacking me in any way, I'm just not understanding why gitbooks is any better than the wikimedia software for collaboration, so I am confused.  I have no ego tied into wiki.bitshares.org, except that it still has a lot of value.

Seems easier to just update wiki.bitshares.org.  If you want to research how to dump wikimedia to a gitbook then feel free, I can get you access or run the process myself.  I actually have been wanting to do a database backup of the site.  Just get the community to agree they think it is a good idea.  I am not sure if the Chinese wiki has been updated lately, I'd need to check the logs.

I don't know what you mean regarding "DNS stuff"...  Are the guys who tried to resurrect it still working on it ?

I'm just lost why you think it is needed to move it all to github.  Just more work that IMO doesn't help with the underlying problem - out of date documentation.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I'm not sure what you are getting at.  The community wiki just needs an account to edit (wiki.bitshares.org).  However, there are 2, the other by the developers that has very technically oriented documentation.  Usually I create accounts for wiki.bitshares.org, on request but some others can do it.  If you wish to edit the wiki on wiki.bitshares.org tell me and I'll create you an account.

Gamey, I'm not attacking you in any way.
I know tech docs and user docs are totally different but both need to be in a place where we can all pitch in. The job of building and maintaining just the docs alone is going to get way too big for one person to handle. I'd like to help with both the DNS and wiki stuff, but both need to be (dare i say) centralized someplace like github for this. Gitbook would be a major plus.

Doesn't github allow you to syndicate your content from their site to wiki.bitshares.org? I'm sorry, I thought they allowed that. Even the bts website could be hosted from github too.

Rob, I can help you out with just about everything you listed below too.

I sent fuzzy all my personal info if you guys wanna hangout/skype at some point.

By helping Bitshares, I am helping our ePlug project. Of course I have an agenda. I'm also financially vested in Bitshares now and as I can afford it and my trust is earned I am dumping more and more into Bitshares as time goes on. I will do whatever it takes to make my investments succeed.
I'm with ya.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline robrigo

I agree that we should refactor the bitshares wiki and overall documentation into a gitbook format!

What if I told you I've been strategizing a Bitshares project to serve a purpose very similar to that described by  Ethereum Builders? https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/03/20/ethereum-builders-experiment/

@gamey I think he means something anyone can easily send a contribution to via gitbooks, like http://ethereumbuilders.gitbooks.io/guide/content/design_rationale.html

Bitshares Institute will include peer to peer community driven learning in a cMOOC format on p2pu.org, to contribute to the set of learning materials and beginner documentation and foster a strong open source community of collaborators and create materials to help on board new comers to the bitshares ecosystem.

Anyone who wants to be involved with "The Redocumenting" please PM me.  8) I've been getting heads together in Detroit to work on this but would love to expand Bitshares Institute to other locales and it sounds like you would be a great contributor to the effort Ken!

Bitshares Institute is currently working on:
-finishing the Wikipedia.org initial draft
-Syllabus
-Glossary of terms
-Launching website MVP
-Delegate proposal

Other ideas
-Organize community proposals in one place until it can happen on the blockchain
-Evolve the technical documentation of the codebase where we can.
-Support the p2pU course with video material explaining for concepts and practical use cases.
-Work on materials other embassies can use to educate their local communities about Bitshares.

I've been trying to keep this under wraps but as you can tell the bitshares community is in dire need of more educational materials, updated documentation and filling in the gaps, tutorials (video or otherwise). There has been some great work in this area by Max, Riverhead, Xeroc, Cass, and many others. The goal of bitshares institute is to expand on that and help fill in gaps of understanding / reduce the barrier to entry, cognitively and practically!

edit: here's an outline of the topics I wanted to cover at the last meetup- it starts to describe the role I see a Bitshares embassy like Bitshares Institute taking. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZMwEbDLn5WaxISweAXgdtlJoARhyXgFFS4Z0cI5Tb4/edit
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:15:25 pm by robrigo »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The wiki.bitshares.org site is really out of date and as Bitshares progresses it's only gonna get worse.
I'm trying to learn everything I can about BTS before dumping much more money into this. Oh, and yes, I plan on dumping a lot more into this :)

I'd like to help with the wiki but it needs to be syndicated from github first.
Heck, once it's up to date you could even publish it to gitbook so we can all download it as an [always-up-to-date] eBook (pdf, mobi, epub, etc).
A Bitshares 101 second edition if you will.

The Bitshares Toolkit Wiki should move to:
github.com/BitShares/bitshares/toolkit/wiki (or something like that.)

I'd like to contribute to the DNS (.p2p, .dac) stuff too, but it will need to be up on github as well.

Can someone please make the mods on github and get the wiki syndicated so we can start helping out, learn about BTS much faster, and never see outdated docs again?
Please and thanx :)
  -ken

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:51:54 pm by gamey »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The wiki.bitshares.org site is really out of date and as Bitshares progresses it's only gonna get worse.
I'm trying to learn everything I can about BTS before dumping much more money into this. Oh, and yes, I plan on dumping a lot more into this :)

I'd like to help with the wiki but it needs to be syndicated from github first.
Heck, once it's up to date you could even publish it to gitbook so we can all download it as an [always-up-to-date] eBook (pdf, mobi, epub, etc).
A Bitshares 101 second edition if you will.

The Bitshares Toolkit Wiki should move to:
github.com/BitShares/bitshares/toolkit/wiki (or something like that.)

I'd like to contribute to the DNS (.p2p, .dac) stuff too, but it will need to be up on github as well.

Can someone please make the mods on github and get the wiki syndicated so we can start helping out, learn about BTS much faster, and never see outdated docs again?
Please and thanx :)
  -ken
www.PalmPay.chat