Author Topic: I Want to Add a Trollbox to the Web Wallet  (Read 1855 times)

Offline robrigo

We already have an IRC channel @ freenode (#bitshares) with some 15 people in it ..
Can we use freenode with irccloud.com? I could register #bitshares-trollbox and put a bot there if desired

Yep, freenode channels can be used with irccloud.com.

The only downside is that in order to participate, you would need to register an account with irccloud.com. So I guess it would come down to whether or not we want to add reliance on their 3rd party service to the client. On the plus side, I think IRC cloud is one of the more light weight ways we've found to achieve this.

We talked about adding the IRCCloud register form to the IRC chat embedded into the client, and display it on the sidebar that the IRC channel output would display to, only if the user doesn't have a username already configured, i.e. the first time you use it. Otherwise your username and password could be saved in localstorage or some client side configurations, and the BitShares IRC accessible seamlessly.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
We already have an IRC channel @ freenode (#bitshares) with some 15 people in it ..
Can we use freenode with irccloud.com? I could register #bitshares-trollbox and put a bot there if desired

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
From my limited knowledge wouldnt the saved IRC settings be stored in the same place the web-based wallet stores its brain-wallet password & settings, i.e. in cookies.

Im not sure what the equivalent to that is in the qt-wallet. But getting a trollbox working on wallet.bitshares.org first would be a good start.

I definitely think you should message Valentine & jcalfee to get agreement on this before you start working on it.

Offline thread

• View Profile
If I add some IRCCloud connection info inputs, where would I want to store the settings? Would this go in local storage? Is there anything else that functions this way ?

Offline thread

• View Profile
So I've caught the do-a-thing bug from robrigo and the BitShares Institutes idea, and we think building a trollbox via IRC is going to be a good value for my contribution since I have some node, angular, irc experience. I have a couple questions that would be really helpful answered, though, and of course further thoughts would be great as well.

First of all, I'm trying to figure out if the actual run-time qt wallet includes a running node service. It seems that the JS IRC solutions I'm finding depend on at least a small node shim, presumably since browsers don't do real sockets.

It seems that node is not used by the GUI, so adding a little translation middle-man there is not an option... so we're looking at irccloud.com. This nifty, mostly-free service will allow us to use IRC over a websocket connection, thereby eliminating any new, client-side dependency.

My plan is to add some options to the preferences (default off) to define the irccloud connection info. Setting this up would toggle visibility of a "#bitshares IRC" nav item on the inner end of the top-right navigation. Toggling _that_ would cause a right (resizable) sidebar to appear. This sidebar would show a spinner until it establishes a connection to freenode #bitshares (perhaps one day #bitshares-trollbox) at which point, the chat history and input line at the bottom would be shown.

I'm hoping that by hiding the functionality in the settings, I can appeal to folks who would rather not deal with any of this functionality.

However, I think it would go a long way to making the experience more friendly, particularly to new people as they can get their questions answered.