Author Topic: BitShares 0.7.0 Feedback  (Read 10660 times)

Offline gnarl

• View Profile
Windows 7x64.  0.7.0
While loading the blockchain, the messages "Last Block was synced" and popup message "Catching up, processing # of #" is stuck and does not display progress. Leading you to think it has crashed.

It also appears to still have a memory leak, unless its supposed to use 1.666gb of memory while loading the blockchain.

When the log files stop getting bigger, I assume it has crashed and File\Quit and then eventually kill the process.

Second try at loading, it apparently downloaded 100days  of blockchain before running out of memory. After restarting it and letting it run for a couple hours, now used over 2gb of memory

default log had this error repeated a few times
7272015-03-24T01:14:45        th_a:?unnamed?          operator () ] Error during update checking: 11 eof_exception: End Of File
stringstream     {}     th_a  sstream.cpp:109 fc::stringstream::peek     {"str":""}     th_a  json.cpp:454 fc::json::from_string         MainWindow.cpp

p2p log was full of these while it was active
2015-03-24T01:55:21 p2p:message read_loop            read_loop ] disconnected 0 exception: unspecified   The file handle supplied is not valid
    {"message":"The file handle supplied is not valid"}     asio  asio.cpp:37 fc::asio::detail::read_write_handler_with_buffer::operator ()     {"len":16}
    p2p  stcp_socket.cpp:94 bts::net::stcp_socket::readsome         message_oriented_connection.cpp:182
2015-03-24T01:55:21 p2p:send_queued_messages_task send_queued_messages ] Error sending message: {"code":0,"name":"exception","message":"unspecified","stack":[{"context":{"level":"error","file":"asio.cpp","line":37,"method":"fc::asio::detail::read_write_handler_with_buffer::operator ()","hostname":"","thread_name":"asio","timestamp":"2015-03-24T01:55:21"},"format":"${message} ","data":{"message":"The file handle supplied is not valid"}},{"context":{"level":"warn","file":"stcp_socket.cpp","line":136,"method":"bts::net::stcp_socket::writesome","hostname":"","thread_name":"p2p","timestamp":"2015-03-24T01:55:21"},"format":"","data":{"len":16}},{"context":{"level":"warn","file":"message_oriented_connection.cpp","line":245,"method":"bts::net::detail::message_oriented_connection_impl::send_message","hostname":"","thread_name":"p2p","timestamp":"2015-03-24T01:55:21"},"format":"unable to send message","data":{}}]}.  Closing connection.         peer_connection.cpp

The latest default.log file has grown to over 82mb, and the p2p log file is 98mb.  Is there no logfile size limit?

Deleted logs, config.json, node_config,json,  peers.leveldb files, and restarted. Same memory leak and stuck on block problem.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Thanks robrigo, I will wait for 0.8.0 which should be right around the corner and then give your suggestion a try :)

Offline robrigo

Here's my experience with 0.7.0 so far:

- Download the linux version, realize it's just the cli, not the gui. Have to compile it.

- For some reason, BitShares 0.7.0 decides it's a good idea to resynchronize the whole blockchain. 5-6 hours go by.

- When I come back home and check on the progress, the wallet needs to be unlocked. No problem -- or so I thought;
   The unlock never really happened, the little dots were going for 7 minutes, at which point I closed the window.
   The process didn't die. A pkill BitS later and it's gone.

- Re-run BitShares, let it sync the remaining 14 days that were left. Realize ~90% of my funds are missing.

Guys, I'm sorry but this is easily the most buggy piece of software I've had the displeasure of interacting with over the last decade and a half. And I've used software. A lot.

The only two positive things:
  - The wallet appears to be very noticeably faster.
  - No segfault this time (previously [0.6.0] it segfaulted while syncing the blockchain)

FYI this is on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Besides removing all files/dirs except wallet/, is there a way to convince the software to properly reflect my funds once again? I realize they are there, as long as I have the private keys (which I do, in backup plus the accounts do show up, it's the balance that's wrong)

Hey karnal. Here are some steps you can take to fix your balance:

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds

In particular, try this for the effected accounts:

Code: [Select]
wallet_regenerate_keys ACCOUNT_NAME 12000

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Here's my experience with 0.7.0 so far:

- Download the linux version, realize it's just the cli, not the gui. Have to compile it.

- For some reason, BitShares 0.7.0 decides it's a good idea to resynchronize the whole blockchain. 5-6 hours go by.

- When I come back home and check on the progress, the wallet needs to be unlocked. No problem -- or so I thought;
   The unlock never really happened, the little dots were going for 7 minutes, at which point I closed the window.
   The process didn't die. A pkill BitS later and it's gone.

- Re-run BitShares, let it sync the remaining 14 days that were left. Realize ~90% of my funds are missing.

Guys, I'm sorry but this is easily the most buggy piece of software I've had the displeasure of interacting with over the last decade and a half. And I've used software. A lot.

The only two positive things:
  - The wallet appears to be very noticeably faster.
  - No segfault this time (previously [0.6.0] it segfaulted while syncing the blockchain)

FYI this is on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Besides removing all files/dirs except wallet/, is there a way to convince the software to properly reflect my funds once again? I realize they are there, as long as I have the private keys (which I do, in backup plus the accounts do show up, it's the balance that's wrong)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:53:03 pm by karnal »

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
After installing 0.7.0  on Windows I am getting the following message:

"An error occurred while trying to start. Please try restarting application."

Regardless of how many times I restart or try again after rebooting computer, I continue to get this same message.

I have also tried renaming config.json. When I restart it creates a new config.json file but I continue to get the same error message.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Offline milkmeat

• View Profile
  • BitShares: milkmeat
the client seems lost connection very easily.
Mac version 0.7a
On bottom right corner it becomes "not connected" every few minutes, I have to restart the client to reconnect.

Offline Reiner

• View Profile
I dont find nowhere how to upgrade.
Have i deinstall first the old version?
Or can i just click the new *.exe
Have i to load the blockchain again? My internetconnection is very slow.
Edit later ...
So i just install without deinstalling.
Installation works fine. First version that work for me on my old xp laptop
But what is that a new version 7-a?
ok ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:54:41 pm by Reiner »

Offline CryptoN8

• View Profile
Any hints on getting it to sync? It appears to be stuck, and I have tried a rescan from the Console.

I'm running version: (with the -a patch notification after upgrade install from 0.6.2)

{
  "blockchain_name": "BitShares",
  "blockchain_description": "Decentralized Exchange",
  "client_version": "0.7.0",
  "bitshares_revision": "480b4ec1df374b4b81b814ac8ba3eab013ff93dc",
  "bitshares_revision_age": "4 days ago",
  "fc_revision": "374f141f0a31fb362a2eb3fc982acf57107cc5bc",
  "fc_revision_age": "26 days ago",
  "compile_date": "compiled on Mar 17 2015 at 17:07:43",
  "boost_version": "1.57",
  "openssl_version": "OpenSSL 1.0.2 22 Jan 2015",
  "build": "osx 64-bit"
}

UPDATE / FIXED:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=15114.msg195525#msg195525
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:34:31 am by CryptoN8 »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I do notice however though during startup that the disk access for whatever reason is extremely high. Why so much disk access? Is there some kind of complete reindexing taking place at startup?
The client loads the full chain database's data and indexes from disk into memory or into some kind of cache at startup.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
please  provide a way to  update path  manually

0.7.0-a patch  can‘t check update  on my network
so i find some good guy to transfer  to me
two files
web.json &web.dat

the json cotains
{
  "majorVersion": 0,
  "forkVersion": 7,
  "minorVersion": 0,
  "patchVersion": 97,
  "signatures": [
    "2071d654dfc5b180debd3ed8e9825c45df16435a5064d886d2d413a37291bb9a65351170e85eb65d78d5a65b6c0bfd4a544ddaa1c48c364957032152fa625c9911",
    "1f2b77f98303cefb0524575bcd0cadc3a2508964f3093b45bc101e4eb8d7355ab137d5dd9086c9af1851befefa64e69317a5d57ac6d700baffc7a28028b347ff05"
  ],
  "releaseNotes": "Fixes transfers to subaccounts and several small display issues\n",
  "updatePackageUrl": "https://bitshares.org/0.7.0-a.pak",
  "timestamp": "2015-03-18T18:57:45"
}

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
That seems to be the case. And I see no rationale for this rule in any shape or form.

It's not a rule in itself. It is an unfortunate side effect of the market rules concerning shorts, namely that shorts with a high APR are preferred over those with low APR.

The market engine is being worked on. In the new version, shorts at the price feed will be ordered by APR and shorts with a limit below the feed will be ordered by their limit. See https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1443 .
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline ag

• View Profile
there is shorts at feed price, and bids above feed. orders are not matching. I don't understand.

Interest of those shorts are too low. Need to be higher than other shorts.

Ohh...Marvelous! Outstanding! You guys  are on a hot streak  in the last 5-6 mo...streak of novel ideas how to kill the market, that is.

So, one guy put a 50% interest short order on bitBTC with price limit at 60000 BTS/BitBTC. I happen to have to grandfather my short. Are you telling me I can't grandfather my short unless I put more than 50% interest rate ???? Come on... this has to change NOW. It's an emergency.

By the way, the 60000 BTS/BitBTC 50% interest order is for 0.002 BTC. Does it really block ALL creation of new bitBTC unless interest is higher than 50% ? If so, this is just plainly unforgivable. I'm gonna spoil all the other markets also.

That seems to be the case. And I see no rationale for this rule in any shape or form.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
there is shorts at feed price, and bids above feed. orders are not matching. I don't understand.

Interest of those shorts are too low. Need to be higher than other shorts.

Ohh...Marvelous! Outstanding! You guys  are on a hot streak  in the last 5-6 mo...streak of novel ideas how to kill the market, that is.

So, one guy put a 50% interest short order on bitBTC with price limit at 60000 BTS/BitBTC. I happen to have to grandfather my short. Are you telling me I can't grandfather my short unless I put more than 50% interest rate ???? Come on... this has to change NOW. It's an emergency.

By the way, the 60000 BTS/BitBTC 50% interest order is for 0.002 BTC. Does it really block ALL creation of new bitBTC unless interest is higher than 50% ? If so, this is just plainly unforgivable. I'm gonna spoil all the other markets also.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:20:00 pm by inarizushi »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I do notice however though during startup that the disk access for whatever reason is extremely high. Why so much disk access? Is there some kind of complete reindexing taking place at startup?

Also re the memory usage.. @tonyk2.. the more markets you open the more data you are loading the more gets put into memory. I think this might have been done for the sake of real time data updates going faster rather than attempting to write updates to your hard disk. Updates come in.. more data gets feed into memory depending on what screen you left it on I suppose. In my test I only went to the one market I normally go to.. BTS/BitUSD.

With that in mind.. I am not a programmer.. but I cannot think of an elegant solution from an infrastructure perspective in a p2p network where you don't have that situation in an end client. The only alternative is to centralize that.. which as you know would not be acceptable to a decentralized network... unless...

The other alternative to this that would certainly speed it all up and reduce client resources is going to a web solution.. which we have seen.. it's lighter and puts all the data crunching at the server level instead of the client. That might be what you want to focus on if you do not have system resources available. Running 32bit can't be helping you much either.

I don't know how technically feasible it is to move a client wallet to a web wallet.. far as I know currently it's not possible.. but once it is then it's going to be awesome.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+