Author Topic: Strengthening other people's understanding of why BitShares exists  (Read 5954 times)

Offline robrigo

Lots of useful discussion in this thread, thank you David P. and Globally Distributed. Could it be that in order to find the early adopters BitShares needs right now, we need to appeal to the why? I think we need to target early adopters before we target the main stream at this point in time. We want the idealists, the entrepreneurs, promoters, and the makers to join in on the action.

Maybe you are right that most people do not care why, but is that also true of most early adopters?

There is a case to be made that BitShares ambition appears too complex. Making clear the devs focus can help with that. Making it clear what support they are lacking might also help attract the right developers.

As I see it, the benefits of blockchain technology follow from what are five distinct classes of usage:
Class 1: Money
Class 2: Money transport
Class 3: Tokens with value pegged to match other assets
Class 4: Tokens that are explicitly linked to real world assets
Class 5: Zero value applications, such as private key signing

The 'Why' of BitShares should be obvious following from the opportunity that Class 3 offers for markets and financial toolkits. It's the 'how' and 'what' of BitShares that will attract new devs and early adopters. If they do not understand the why that follows from Blockchain technology, then what use will they be?

I wonder you also need to consider who you want to attract.. are you wanting individuals or institutions engaged?.. Financial institutions will be starting to look more seriously at what options are available now that the BoE and UK.gov are getting involved. You will not attract the big fish by underestimating their ability to already see the bleeding obvious.. the why is there for everyone to understand.. it is what makes BitShares unique that needs selling.

Thanks for the breakdown of blockchain value proposition from your perspective. It is useful food for thought. Considering the peer to peer & distributed nature of the BitShares community, I think the "Why" is subjective. We all should ask ourselves why we are here to find the answer.

Me personally? Well first I will mention that coming to this community has taught me a lot of things that I didn't know or were unaware of. I'm thankful for that. I want to support, promote, and learn about peer to peer technologies to devolve corruptive forces of power in traditional societal institutions, promote personal freedoms and promote more liquid democracies. This is why I mentioned earlier that I identify with C the most in the OP's poll. I want to see Wall Street (as Ken mentioned earlier), the Federal Reserve, and the election system fixed, and other gatekeepers pacified. (such as the music industry... Go PeerTracks!) I want to be able to use my money privately without G man snooping on me or tracking my movements... with the assurance someone that doesn't even know me can't take my assets from my accounts. I really like the idea of a non violent & contract free, digital economy.  Friends that I have spoken with about these topics also feel frustrated with the state of our country, and many people are disillusioned, embittered, and generally feel that the government doesn't work for them anymore, but instead the money. A lot of people feel like they can't have an effect on social outcomes and that the government will get its way. They think voting doesn't matter because the system is rigged (me too). A lot of smart people and potential early adopters have no idea what the value proposition of a blockchain is, and need to be helped along and brought into the fold! Working towards the reduction of absolute control over money by nation states to a manageable level, while also making it more democratic and transparent are why I am here. Is this a political agenda, or a moral one? Am I wrong in presenting BitShares this way to people? It seems to have resonated with some that are willing to listen to my BitShares inspired madness. Whatever it is... this is a fascinating experiment.

It is important not to conflate our own personal ideas of what BitShares is with the motivations of the community as a whole... like David mentioned earlier.  8)

I like to envision BitShares as a way to "opt-out" of the old system and into a distributed & fairer one which can be independently audited. Of course right now the utility, usability, and protocol stability isn't there yet. And the regulatory aspects are murkier still.

The platforms already building out UIA driven services and other use cases (such as B2B) for the UIA such as gateways are, as @bitsapphire mentioned, probably the first services that will take off using BitShares.

The demographic that haven't been told "why" yet but could be building an innovative business models with UIAs, or even useful tools (technical / educational) are the ones I'm targeting first. I want to present the concepts to local people and businesses and try to spark a micro economy around BitShares. But to do it right, we need the fiat gateways and nice point of sales / mobile apps.

I want to be on the prong that targets people and brings BitShares to people. Any institutions I target would be more likely a startup than a large bank. Maybe eventually a VC firm? But it is very important and possibly more fruitful to have the community members that are courting institutions like the BoE.

If we want to be honest about why bitshares exist I think "Making Money" should be addressed.

My understanding is that Bitshares is a profitable company (or at least that was the idea originally). A company that doesn't need huge buildings to operate, middlemen costs and other costs but can operate automatically in a profitable way! This should be the main pitch of why Bitshares exists!

The nice thing about this profitable company is that you do not need to be wealthy in order to be an early adopter and get shares. Everyone can secure his wealth without the need of a Bank and become his own bank without the need to hide his money under his mattress.

Bitshares of course secures the liberty and strengthens the human independence (since we have bitassets) but if the shareholders of BTS do not make money then it is a dead end.

Agreed... the investment opportunity shouldn't be disregarded. To expand on the lack of needing lots of wealth, one of the first things I like to talk about potentials that could become BitShares early adopters is that they can theoretically lend their skills to the ecosystem and be paid in BTS.  If they can create wealth for BitShares with their productivity, they can receive equity from the network in return, either by creating a delegate campaign and being voted in or joining a delegate team. Even if you are cash poor, if you want to join the cause and are motivated you could potentially be paid for those efforts.

Also, I really like the "BitShares is profitable freedom" quote. Not sure who coined it at the moment, but I know it was either on these forums or mumble.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:21:32 pm by robrigo »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
If we want to be honest about why bitshares exist I think "Making Money" should be addressed.

My understanding is that Bitshares is a profitable company (or at least that was the idea originally). A company that doesn't need huge buildings to operate, middlemen costs and other costs but can operate automatically in a profitable way! This should be the main pitch of why Bitshares exists!

The nice thing about this profitable company is that you do not need to be wealthy in order to be an early adopter and get shares. Everyone can secure his wealth without the need of a Bank and become his own bank without the need to hide his money under his mattress.

Bitshares of course secures the liberty and strengthens the human independence (since we have bitassets) but if the shareholders of BTS do not make money then it is a dead end.

Offline davidpbrown

Lots of useful discussion in this thread, thank you David P. and Globally Distributed. Could it be that in order to find the early adopters BitShares needs right now, we need to appeal to the why? I think we need to target early adopters before we target the main stream at this point in time. We want the idealists, the entrepreneurs, promoters, and the makers to join in on the action.

Maybe you are right that most people do not care why, but is that also true of most early adopters?

There is a case to be made that BitShares ambition appears too complex. Making clear the devs focus can help with that. Making it clear what support they are lacking might also help attract the right developers.

As I see it, the benefits of blockchain technology follow from what are five distinct classes of usage:
Class 1: Money
Class 2: Money transport
Class 3: Tokens with value pegged to match other assets
Class 4: Tokens that are explicitly linked to real world assets
Class 5: Zero value applications, such as private key signing

The 'Why' of BitShares should be obvious following from the opportunity that Class 3 offers for markets and financial toolkits. It's the 'how' and 'what' of BitShares that will attract new devs and early adopters. If they do not understand the why that follows from Blockchain technology, then what use will they be?

I wonder you also need to consider who you want to attract.. are you wanting individuals or institutions engaged?.. Financial institutions will be starting to look more seriously at what options are available now that the BoE and UK.gov are getting involved. You will not attract the big fish by underestimating their ability to already see the bleeding obvious.. the why is there for everyone to understand.. it is what makes BitShares unique that needs selling.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline robrigo

Some people don't need to understand why, they just need what.  You are a what-er which is also why you had the incredible vision to come to BitShares in the first place.  The masses are not what-ers, they are why-ers.  When they feel  a why they are more likely to take action than if they just hear a what.

Saying shit doesn't make it true.

Most people do not aspire to why, they just want to know what they can a product can do for them. They aspiration to why is a luxury. When it comes to money, mainstream will be looking for function not form. Useability and useful capability will win. Political aspiration et al, are a secondary consideration for most people most of the time.

The only point you could argue is that PR/Marketing or whatever we're calling it now, needs multiple threads of efforts on multiple fronts.. but do it right!

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile
Some people don't need to understand why, they just need what.  You are a what-er which is also why you had the incredible vision to come to BitShares in the first place.  The masses are not what-ers, they are why-ers.  When they feel  a why they are more likely to take action than if they just hear a what.

Most people do not aspire to why, they just want to know what they can a product can do for them. They aspiration to why is a luxury. When it comes to money, mainstream will be looking for function not form. Useability and useful capability will win. Political aspiration et al, are a secondary consideration for most people most of the time.

The only point you could argue is that PR/Marketing or whatever we're calling it now, needs multiple threads of efforts on multiple fronts.. but do it right!

I agree on all fronts. Especially that why is a luxury - a luxury, which luckily, all except those starving to death can afford.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:59:57 pm by Globally Distributed »
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline davidpbrown

• View Profile
That's not new! I learnt nothing watching that video.. it's near evangelical on a simple idea.

Get real. Blockchain technology is an inspiration; BitShares is one instance of that.
If you want to inspire, then you need to be doing something new and if you don't know what that is, how do you not know!?

Why does BitShares exist? Because Blockchain technology offers decentralised third party authority. BitShares[What] is more interesting since it isn't a new Why. What is that it offers options on pegging value of digital tokens to real world assets, in a way that allows markets to speculate on those assets future value. There is potential there both for assets pegged to fiat and other asset being useful as exchange of value in the way normal currency is and to those who want to speculate and rip profit from the flux in markets.

Some people don't need to understand why, they just need what.  You are a what-er which is also why you had the incredible vision to come to BitShares in the first place.  The masses are not what-ers, they are why-ers.  When they feel  a why they are more likely to take action than if they just hear a what.  It's important you watch the video a few more times so that you don't try to bring another rebuttal about the importance of what because I strive not to spend an eternity convincing people of things.

Btw this may just be your why - We at Bitshares believe we should always challenge the status quo by building technology that outcompetes other technology by providing greater utility.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:44:28 pm by Globally Distributed »
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline davidpbrown

The key is, "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."

That's not new! I learnt nothing watching that video.. it's near evangelical on a simple idea.

Get real. Blockchain technology is an inspiration; BitShares is one instance of that.
If you want to inspire, then you need to be doing something new and if you don't know what that is, how do you not know!?

Why does BitShares exist? Because Blockchain technology offers decentralised third party authority. BitShares[What] is more interesting since it isn't a new Why. What is that it offers options on pegging value of digital tokens to real world assets, in a way that allows markets to speculate on those assets future value. There is potential there both for assets pegged to fiat and other asset being useful as exchange of value in the way normal currency is and to those who want to speculate and rip profit from the flux in markets.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:04:20 pm by davidpbrown »

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
.. Properly, if it wants to succeed in the longer term, it need to be that BitShares is seen to be predicated on the same thoughts that make Blockchain technology work; namely, the decentralising of third part authority. If you make it more complex, then you will dilute its potential.

I think this is true. BitShares can be many things, but rather than try to encompass all that we should promote a simple takeaway - the centralization is failing, we're decentralized.
my 2 cents.

and "Power to the People" is a simple message.

eg "We build BitShares because we understand that power in the hands of the many, is better than power in the hands of the few."

ooh blimey with this 500th post, I become a Hero Member  8)
Congratulations on your 500th post and becoming Hero Member  :) 

• View Profile
frankly what I was suggesting above, is related to the why would they want to use it; why we are creating it, is incidental to why others should want it.

My analysis of your points is this: Answering "why would they want to use it" results only in highlighting benefits - which are "what" statements, and not "why" statements.  Answering "why we are creating it" does result in a "why" statement - and that's what we are trying to uncover.  With no true "why" you only have 12 point plans outlining benefits - which is proven not to sell as well (e.g. Tivo, see explanation in the linked video)

The key is, "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."

Learn more by watching the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline davidpbrown

.. Properly, if it wants to succeed in the longer term, it need to be that BitShares is seen to be predicated on the same thoughts that make Blockchain technology work; namely, the decentralising of third part authority. If you make it more complex, then you will dilute its potential.

I think this is true. BitShares can be many things, but rather than try to encompass all that we should promote a simple takeaway - the centralization is failing, we're decentralized.
my 2 cents.

and "Power to the People" is a simple message.

eg "We build BitShares because we understand that power in the hands of the many, is better than power in the hands of the few."

ooh blimey with this 500th post, I become a Hero Member  8)

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

my 2 cents.

Offline davidpbrown

I understand not wanting to exclude anyone based on different sets of beliefs.  My only feedback is that what you and Ben are proposing are "what" statements. The video that robrigo shared, also in my signature, demonstrates the power of "why" -- which is that statements that appeal to the most basic, emotional brain with "why" are the best for achieving network effect.  Hope you watch the video. And let's come up with some more "why"!

Well the obvious tweak is to suggest that "We at BitShares are looking to create a tool that will enable people widely.." or similar but frankly what I was suggesting above, is related to the why would they want to use it; why we are creating it, is incidental to why others should want it. What it can do for them, is more important than why it was created. Suggest then what the tool is capable of and allow the user to consider why they might use it or suggest why their neighbours do. Just not tribal statements like "We all believe in the toothfairy."

If we limit why people might use BitShares, then we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
D Other

We at BitShares (ok, me in particular) believe that Wall Street is broken. Banks are no longer paying us appropriately and what's worse we are now being forced to pay them. This has got to change through technology as the "Market Makers" have proven that the system is currently rewarding corruption. A DE-centralized Exchange such as BitShares(.org) is proving that decentralization removes the ability to cheat and rewards the savers and investors instead of penalizing them.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

• View Profile
I'm not sure why you'd be against option B.  Are you mostly arguing against use of the "we" statements?

Yes.

"BitShares is" is much stronger than any "We believe" .. everyone has an opinion and a belief. Just evidence of why people should want BitShares in their life and avoid the direct talk on behalf the community.

You can suggest that BitShares is supported by a strong community with a diverse skillset and here is how you can become more involved. Obviously in basic marketing there is the attraction that "All your neighbours are doing it", so having something that alerts people that they are not alone is important but BitShares is not a political campaign.

None of those statements above jumped out at me. Some alone the lines of what Ben suggested is better.. BitShares is disruptive blockchain technology that helps individuals take control over their own wealth and assets. There's a myriad of statements that could be made but the point is they need to be suggested relative to the technology not relative to the fanbase. The technology should be seen to be more significant than just its community's ambitions.

I understand not wanting to exclude anyone based on different sets of beliefs.  My only feedback is that what you and Ben are proposing are "what" statements. The video that robrigo shared, also in my signature, demonstrates the power of "why" -- which is that statements that appeal to the most basic, emotional brain with "why" are the best for achieving network effect.  Hope you watch the video. And let's come up with some more "why"!

kudos robrigo

Offline davidpbrown

I'm not sure why you'd be against option B.  Are you mostly arguing against use of the "we" statements?

Yes.

"BitShares is" is much stronger than any "We believe" .. everyone has an opinion and a belief. Just evidence of why people should want BitShares in their life and avoid the direct talk on behalf the community.

You can suggest that BitShares is supported by a strong community with a diverse skillset and here is how you can become more involved. Obviously in basic marketing there is the attraction that "All your neighbours are doing it", so having something that alerts people that they are not alone is important but BitShares is not a political campaign.

None of those statements above jumped out at me. Some alone the lines of what Ben suggested is better.. BitShares is disruptive blockchain technology that helps individuals take control over their own wealth and assets. There's a myriad of statements that could be made but the point is they need to be suggested relative to the technology not relative to the fanbase. The technology should be seen to be more significant than just its community's ambitions.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
BitShares is technology used to increase the potential for sovereignty of every individual in the planet.

Offline robrigo

Instead of "We at Bitshares believe in challenging the status quo and building technology that makes life simpler for all."

What about something along the lines of:

"BitShares [is a tool that] enables those that believe in building technology that makes life simpler for all by [facilitating a non-violent and voluntary, contract free digital economy] and challenging the status quo."

That way, the statement doesn't speak for everyone by saying "We at BitShares" but instead speaks to a specific group:

"Those that believe" X
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:23:00 pm by robrigo »

• View Profile
This looks foolish.  >:(

Unless BitShares only has ambitions to be niche, you need to promote BitShares against its function and not your perception of the ambitions of those who use it. For all the importance of community, you will never provide a simple statement like that which does not push people away. BitShares should not be political in motivation but in effect. It's fine for those contributing and developing it to express their politics but that should not be confused with BitShares itself.

Properly, if it wants to succeed in the longer term, it need to be that BitShares is seen to be predicated on the same thoughts that make Blockchain technology work; namely, the decentralising of third part authority. If you make it more complex, then you will dilute its potential.

What you could do along the lines of the OP, is note how BitShares functionality lends itself to those ambitions. Please don't confuse the potential uses of the tool with the tool itself! BitShares should be created unrestricted for others to use as they want, not because they subscribe to some niche political ideology. The OP as proposed appears pretentious, wanting to appear to speak on behalf of all.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:40:44 pm by Globally Distributed »

kudos robrigo

Offline davidpbrown

This looks foolish.  >:(

Unless BitShares only has ambitions to be niche, you need to promote BitShares against its function and not your perception of the ambitions of those who use it. For all the importance of community, you will never provide a simple statement like that which does not push people away. BitShares should not be political in motivation but in effect. It's fine for those contributing and developing it to express their politics but that should not be confused with BitShares itself.

Properly, if it wants to succeed in the longer term, it need to be that BitShares is seen to be predicated on the same thoughts that make Blockchain technology work; namely, the decentralising of third part authority. If you make it more complex, then you will dilute its potential.

What you could do along the lines of the OP, is note how BitShares functionality lends itself to those ambitions. Please don't confuse the potential uses of the tool with the tool itself! BitShares should be created unrestricted for others to use as they want, not because they subscribe to some niche political ideology. The OP as proposed appears pretentious, wanting to appear to speak on behalf of all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:07:04 pm by davidpbrown »

Offline robrigo

I think all the statements are pretty close together in that they say similar things that most people would agree with on all three.

I see A and C options as politically charged statements that cater to or romanticize certain idealism in association to BitShare on a far from center pendulum swing. They pigeon hole the why of BitShares to a certain segment. Where B is a more generally inclusive and balanced statement.

Solid analysis, I think you're right in that B is more general and inclusive, and A + C (increased autonomy of persons, increased respect of personal freedoms) could be argued to be a subset of "making life better".

It's easy to attack a politically charged statement, but it could also have more emotional impact. At the end of the day, we want to make BitShares something that seems so intuitive and natural that people ask themselves "Why aren't I paying attention to this / supporting this / using this?" As Simon said in the TED talk, people didn't go to Martin Luther King's civil resistance rally for him, they did it for themselves.

You are probably correct that we shouldn't seek to exclude a demographic by making statements that lean too far from the center.

• View Profile
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."

i would say what + why are important :)

+ 1 why -> how -> what
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:54:01 pm by Globally Distributed »

kudos robrigo

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

i would say what + why are important :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think all the statements are pretty close together in that they say similar things that most people would agree with on all three.

I see A and C options as politically charged statements that cater to or romanticize certain idealism in association to BitShare on a far from center pendulum swing. They pigeon hole the why of BitShares to a certain segment. Where B is a more generally inclusive and balanced statement.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline robrigo

Out of the ones you listed, I like C the most. I think that strengthening human rights and enabling freedom will resonate with future users, and addresses a problem that many are aware of in the world (eroding freedoms).

Glad you are thinking about the "Why" of BitShares existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% ... nice pitches ..
Just a short remark:
Bitshares -> BitShares

• View Profile
BitSharers,

Why does BitShares exist? 

If any of these is the best explanation of "why" bitshares exists, please vote for it, and if none are the best, choose 'other' and please say how you really feel below.

A We at Bitshares believe in challenging the status quo and building technology that allows people to be more independent.  The Bitshares Decentralized Exchange that we built is making people more independent every day.  People get access to peer-to-peer trade, savings accounts, provably fair voting, world currencies, business contracts, crowd funding, practically free remittance, reputation verifiers, music downloads, and much, much more -- it's all instant peer-to-peer transactions with no middlemen on an open source network.

We at Bitshares believe in challenging the status quo and building technology that makes life simpler for all its users. The Bitshares Decentralized Exchange that we built is helping people across the world get better opportunities to meet their needs in life and work.  People get access to peer-to-peer trade, savings accounts, provably fair voting, world currencies, business contracts, crowd funding, practically free remittance, reputation verifiers, music downloads, and much, much more -- it's all instant peer-to-peer transactions with no middlemen on an open source network.

C We at Bitshares believe in challenging the status quo and building technology that gives people greater personal freedom and strengthens human rights across the world. The Bitshares Decentralized Exchange that we built is helping people find freedom to choose and freedom from transgression everyday. People get access to peer-to-peer trade, savings accounts, provably fair voting, world currencies, business contracts, crowd funding, practically free remittance, reputation verifiers, music downloads, and much, much more -- it's all instant peer-to-peer transactions with no middlemen on an open source network.

D Other
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:27:02 pm by Globally Distributed »

kudos robrigo