Author Topic: Mining BitGold and BitSilver?  (Read 10114 times)

Offline fuzzy

Have I missed something regarding the whole minebitshares pool concept?

I thought this pool was targeted towards people with mining hardware, mostly those who got into it before the bitcoin mega-miners put the little guys with their GPU or 1st gen ASIC hardware out of the practical competition of producing bitcoin through mining. I know the pool is mining the alt coins, allowing them to be effective miners thru the pool in that space.

If that is still the target audience of minebitshares, it seems like a very small audience to me. It is mostly those with above average tech skills who have invested in mining hardware. Or is the utility being proposed here aiming at the low end hash rate hardware like GPU / CPU? Even so, how many non-techies (the ones that care about Taylor Swift for example) have the know how or desire to setup their hardware to mine in this pool?

I just don't get the optimism of this thread for mining every day things like pizza & CDs. As for the benefit to the crypto-currency ecospace, I do see the stimulus for that and the good will it engenders to the altcoin fanboys, just can't make the connection to a broader appeal or the bridge into mining everyday "stuff" if it's predicated on owning mining hardware.

I actually agree with you on your point about Pizza and CD's, but I also have to disagree with you on another point:  Multipools essentially allow you to put sell pressure on the highest value cryptocurrencies at any given time and get paid out in the crypto of your choice.  So MineBitShares actually has three primary purposes:
1) to give miners an incentive to mine bitshares (instead of hating it because it is not something they can use their high-price equipment to mine)
2) taxable income for miners is calculated at the time you mine the coin (so the value at the time you mined it).  Seeing as most altcoins go down in value, mining things that actually track real world assets' value gives miners one heck of a valuable protection mechanism from the tax man.
3) a reason to hold something whose value will be less volatile and will pay interest, which helps bitshares---especially if people decide not to sell.  Or better yet, they decide to trade bitAssets for other bitAssets and BTS.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Thom

Have I missed something regarding the whole minebitshares pool concept?

I thought this pool was targeted towards people with mining hardware, mostly those who got into it before the bitcoin mega-miners put the little guys with their GPU or 1st gen ASIC hardware out of the practical competition of producing bitcoin through mining. I know the pool is mining the alt coins, allowing them to be effective miners thru the pool in that space.

If that is still the target audience of minebitshares, it seems like a very small audience to me. It is mostly those with above average tech skills who have invested in mining hardware. Or is the utility being proposed here aiming at the low end hash rate hardware like GPU / CPU? Even so, how many non-techies (the ones that care about Taylor Swift for example) have the know how or desire to setup their hardware to mine in this pool?

I just don't get the optimism of this thread for mining every day things like pizza & CDs. As for the benefit to the crypto-currency ecospace, I do see the stimulus for that and the good will it engenders to the altcoin fanboys, just can't make the connection to a broader appeal or the bridge into mining everyday "stuff" if it's predicated on owning mining hardware.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

I think in general that is where we are going (especially with things like encryption services, music and even game tokens) but I do not think it will be with everything. 
I understand, you think it will be restricted to digital? I think it could apply to everything very easily though through use of digital gift cards.
Not really thinking that, but I do think that current currencies like USD/Yuan and past currencies like Gold/Silver would be psychologically stickier as use-cases.

For instance, I want pizza to come to my house when I am hungry for pizza--not every day or at random intervals when I just so happen to mine enough to pay for one.
Good point, but what about a gift card for food? Like organic food vouchers which get earned through mining? Since everyone must eat and the shopping list could be set up in advance it's possible to automate the process of obtaining food in a highly programmable sense.
Coupled with a Service that delivers to homes, this could be a very good way to introduce it...but those service providers would likely want bitUSD/bitYuan/bitSilver/bitGold than bitPizza or most other bitAssets.

The one time this might be different would be the case where I want to have a pizza come to my house every Friday night for the family (or party...etc). 
The reason I think that partnerships between the aforementioned should be one of the top priorities is that it will do what Bitcoin has yet to achieve---bring the masses of Liberty lovers into BitShares. 
Interesting, this is true.
I messed up here.  Bitcoin has not helped at all for obvious reasons...but our solution is far better than simply paying Gold/Silver with Bitcoin.  Furthermore if we can subsidize this service until it becomes huge with a few delegates long enough to gain real traction, we can then cut off much of the delegate pay after the "introductory period". 

My initial thoughts are that if NethyB got a delegate (or four) to help subsidize an increase in payouts using some of his/her (sorry for not knowing Nethy) new funds and keep an ample % for himself as payment we would see a substantial increase in volume.  Of course there are certainly other things that could be mined...but damn if we could get the PM-Loving media on this it would be huge.
I think we should get anyone we can. Whatever people would want which could be anything from PM to music to pizza. I think if we support everything it can be better for the overall economy in the long term but in the short term it might make more sense to focus on PM.
My point here precisely.  Psychologically we should stick to things most people see as money...at least at first.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I think in general that is where we are going (especially with things like encryption services, music and even game tokens) but I do not think it will be with everything. 
I understand, you think it will be restricted to digital? I think it could apply to everything very easily though through use of digital gift cards.
For instance, I want pizza to come to my house when I am hungry for pizza--not every day or at random intervals when I just so happen to mine enough to pay for one.
Good point, but what about a gift card for food? Like organic food vouchers which get earned through mining? Since everyone must eat and the shopping list could be set up in advance it's possible to automate the process of obtaining food in a highly programmable sense.

I do see your arguments though that maybe the world isn't ready for that yet and game tokens are a lot more obvious.
The one time this might be different would be the case where I want to have a pizza come to my house every Friday night for the family (or party...etc). 

The reason I think that partnerships between the aforementioned should be one of the top priorities is that it will do what Bitcoin has yet to achieve---bring the masses of Liberty lovers into BitShares. 
Interesting, this is true.

My initial thoughts are that if NethyB got a delegate (or four) to help subsidize an increase in payouts using some of his/her (sorry for not knowing Nethy) new funds and keep an ample % for himself as payment we would see a substantial increase in volume.  Of course there are certainly other things that could be mined...but damn if we could get the PM-Loving media on this it would be huge.

I think we should get anyone we can. Whatever people would want which could be anything from PM to music to pizza. I think if we support everything it can be better for the overall economy in the long term but in the short term it might make more sense to focus on PM.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

@Fuzzy

Here is an interesting idea we could try, how about if we let people mine for anything? products, services, gifttokens, album tokens (peer tracks) etc?

Example suppose a new Taylor Swift album is about to be released on Peertracks and through a collaboration we can mine for Taylor Swift? This would enable fans to mine for albums. To the fans it would feel as if the music is "free".

It means MineBitshares should collaborate with Peertracks to investigate if this would be possible. I think fandoms would definitely donate CPU resources or GPU resources to get music with the side effect of promoting Bitshares, virtual mining as a concept, and grow the ecosystem.

If the system can be expanded fully in that direction then for example as a test case someone could literally mine for pizza by connecting their CPU to some network. After a period of days, weeks or months, the pizza would automagically be ordered and delivered to them without them having to even order it. It would mean you can get as much pizza as you want just by mining your spare computers but the beneficial side effect is it benefits the market and ecosystem by encouraging merchants to adopt the technology and come up with a BitAsset to represent their product or service.

The culture around mining should be to plug it in and forget it. The miner itself would automate the process of contributing to the economy or it could just encourage saving in BitAssets.

wow...that is indeed a very interesting idea...I just had a vision from the future with your example of mining for a pizza...

For instance, I want pizza to come to my house when I am hungry for pizza--not every day or at random intervals when I just so happen to mine enough to pay for one.  The one time this might be different would be the case where I want to have a pizza come to my house every Friday night for the family (or party...etc). 

PM lovers tend to also be lovers of Liberty and Privacy...but the problem occurs because there is a disconnect between Cryptocurrency and the reason for many staunch PM investors' reasons for investing.  They have an amplified perception the likelihood of all-out collapse.  But they also have valid concerns that their might be regional issues in the event of catastrophic events.  Thus it is important for all miners and crypto-users to also hold physical assets.   

Tuck Fheman

This may or may not be relevant (but, the part about actually obtaining the gold should be to anyone considering this threads option, no?)...
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-195-glass-books-and-a-good-nights-sleep

for those unwilling to listen to the entire interview (shame on you!), skip to 28m:30s in.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:38:30 pm by Tuck Fheman »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
@Fuzzy

Here is an interesting idea we could try, how about if we let people mine for anything? products, services, gifttokens, album tokens (peer tracks) etc?

Example suppose a new Taylor Swift album is about to be released on Peertracks and through a collaboration we can mine for Taylor Swift? This would enable fans to mine for albums. To the fans it would feel as if the music is "free".

It means MineBitshares should collaborate with Peertracks to investigate if this would be possible. I think fandoms would definitely donate CPU resources or GPU resources to get music with the side effect of promoting Bitshares, virtual mining as a concept, and grow the ecosystem.

If the system can be expanded fully in that direction then for example as a test case someone could literally mine for pizza by connecting their CPU to some network. After a period of days, weeks or months, the pizza would automagically be ordered and delivered to them without them having to even order it. It would mean you can get as much pizza as you want just by mining your spare computers but the beneficial side effect is it benefits the market and ecosystem by encouraging merchants to adopt the technology and come up with a BitAsset to represent their product or service.

The culture around mining should be to plug it in and forget it. The miner itself would automate the process of contributing to the economy or it could just encourage saving in BitAssets.

wow...that is indeed a very interesting idea...I just had a vision from the future with your example of mining for a pizza...

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
@Fuzzy

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:58:10 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Just as we enable others to mine bitUSD, I think we have a substantial opportunity we are missing:  Mining bitGold and bitSilver.

From there, if we connect Gentso's project (a site for purchasing physical PMs with bitAssets) with the mining of bitGold and bitSilver, we win.  Why?

Because now all those Gold and Silver bugs that have technical proficiency, but hate the idea of cryptocurrency reasoning it "won't exist when the grid goes down" will now have a way to use those skills to (mostly) passively mine Gold and Silver.  Then it can be sent directly to their home.  Thoughts?

You have hit the nail on the head fuzzy  +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Just as we enable others to mine bitUSD, I think we have a substantial opportunity we are missing:  Mining bitGold and bitSilver.

From there, if we connect Gentso's project (a site for purchasing physical PMs with bitAssets) with the mining of bitGold and bitSilver, we win.  Why?

Because now all those Gold and Silver bugs that have technical proficiency, but hate the idea of cryptocurrency reasoning it "won't exist when the grid goes down" will now have a way to use those skills to (mostly) passively mine Gold and Silver.  Then it can be sent directly to their home.  Thoughts?
+5%
That was the original idea I proposed many months ago when I was promoting the ability to virtually mine Bitshares.

I endorse the idea now and if it's possible to connect it to physical gold and silver then why not?

There has to be a standard way for all these disconnected projects to communicate with each other on top of the Bitshares protocol somehow though. If that can happen then everything we want is possible and just a matter of starting the businesses + writing the code.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:14:24 pm by luckybit »

Offline nethyb

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nethyb
wouldn't it be quite easy to add such a feature in minebitshares.com? @   nethyb

Yes, the pool is setup in such a way that it's trivial to change the pool payout bitAsset. However currently you can only pay out in one asset i.e. either bitUSD or bitSilver, bitCNY etc.

The current challenge with paying out in bitSilver or bitGold is a lack of market liquidity resulting in huge spreads i.e. I need to exchange the BTC earned from the alt-coins to bitSilver. And there is no easy way to do that currently with resonable spreads.

And that's primarily why I agreed with bytemaster to focus our efforts initally on BitUSD, as it has most liquidity and we can help to provide additional liquidity for that market.

I've had discussions with both cryptosmith.info and metaexchange on how the pool could integrate/collaborate and intend to do so at some point,
we'd offer the miners the choice of which asset they would like their payments to be paid -  whatever metaexchange supports.

I agree with everyone that crypto mining real PM's would bring a lot of publicity to Bitshares  ;D 

But first we need to get minebitshares known to the mining world... You can help right now by following me on twitter @minebitshares and do the occasion re-tweet etc

And don't forget to vote for the new minbitshares-reloaded delegate http://bitsharesblocks.com/delegate/info?name=minebitshares-reloaded to help support the pool development
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:17:59 pm by nethyb »

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
+5% great

来自我的 M812C 上的 Tapatalk

Offline youlonghun

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
wouldn't it be quite easy to add such a feature in minebitshares.com? @   nethyb