Author Topic: Staff Meeting Notes - Monday, March 23, 2015  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
not quite sure why this is worth a  +5%orgasm...  Basically all thats being said is that there are still people working on bitshares.  Big deal, thats what they should be doing.

Some ETA's would be nice to have... is this stuff all a pipe dream, or is there an actual target date to aim for?

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/milestones
ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
come on
Do not believe this schedule,they can change it anytime.

Yea, it's more frustrating than anything to watch the milestones. All they ever do is get pushed back, past due, pushed back, past due, rinse and repeat. Some realistic ETA's would be nice.

Software development can be extremely difficult to estimate.  I work in the industry and know first hand that sometimes the most trivial items take *much* longer to troubleshoot than items thought to be huge undertakings, sometimes one item may require another item to be re-worked in order to achieve maximum efficiency, etc.  Sure, milestones can be changed or pushed back at anytime and I understand that could be frustrating but it's frustrating for the devs too and it's better to extend a deadline than implement an unstable version.  As far as the devs are concerned, the milestones listed are probably *very* realistic but sometimes shit happens and you have to roll with it.

Great points.  We put the times into github as aggressive targets for the engineers to shoot at.  (Keeps them away from the fooseball and air-hockey tables that way.)  We don't publish them as promises to demonstrate our prowess at estimating Mean Time To Breakthrough (MTTB) statistics.

If we were going to play such games, we would certainly use the Scotty Principle (except Scotty was a simple warp drive engineer who merely had to crawl through a couple Jefferies tubes on his hands and knees with a blinking wrench to reroute power - software is a much more complex discipline and needs a 300% fudge factor.)

Scotty Principle

(n.) The defacto gold star standard for delivering products and/or services within a projected timeframe. Derived from the original Star Trek series wherein Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott consistently made the seemingly impossible happen just in time to save the crew of the Enterprise from disaster.

The premise is simple:

1) Caluculate average required time for completion of given task.

2) Depending on importance of task, add 25-50% additional time to original estimate.

3) Report and commit to inflated time estimate with superiors, clients, etc.

4) Under optimal conditions the task is completed closer to the original time estimate vs. the inflated delivery time expected by those waiting.
The following situation is a simulation of the Scotty Principle in practice.

Kirk: "The ship seems sluggish today. When was the last time you did a tune-up on the warp drive?"

Scotty: "Aye, sir. She's due. Last maintenance was 56 days ago."

Kirk: (light chuckle) "Well, what are you waiting for? An ambush from cloaked Romulans?"

Scotty: "I'll need to check how much dilithium we have in supply, but she'll be better than new in no time."

Kirk: "And that will be...?"

Scotty: "Six hours."

--- four hours later ---

Scotty: "All done, sir. Care to test her out?"

--- Enterprise taken rapidly to warp 3, does a few doughnuts, comes to a smooth stop ---

Kirk: "Scotty, there's no finer engineer in this quadrant!"

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:25:42 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline mdj

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mdj
not quite sure why this is worth a  +5%orgasm...  Basically all thats being said is that there are still people working on bitshares.  Big deal, thats what they should be doing.

Some ETA's would be nice to have... is this stuff all a pipe dream, or is there an actual target date to aim for?

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
come on

Yea, it's more frustrating than anything to watch the milestones. All they ever do is get pushed back, past due, pushed back, past due, rinse and repeat. Some realistic ETA's would be nice.

Software development can be extremely difficult to estimate.  I work in the industry and know first hand that sometimes the most trivial items take *much* longer to troubleshoot than items thought to be huge undertakings, sometimes one item may require another item to be re-worked in order to achieve maximum efficiency, etc.  Sure, milestones can be changed or pushed back at anytime and I understand that could be frustrating but it's frustrating for the devs too and it's better to extend a deadline than implement an unstable version.  As far as the devs are concerned, the milestones listed are probably *very* realistic but sometimes shit happens and you have to roll with it.

+5%

Offline yellowecho

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
come on

Software development can be extremely difficult to estimate.  I work in the industry and know first hand that sometimes the most trivial items take much longer to troubleshoot than items thought to be huge undertakings, sometimes one item may require another item to be re-worked in order to achieve maximum efficiency, etc.  Sure, milestones can be changed or pushed back at anytime and I understand that could be frustrating but it's frustrating for the devs too and it's better to extend a deadline than implement an unstable version.  As far as the devs are concerned, the milestones listed are probably very realistic but sometimes shit happens and you have to roll with it. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:32:53 pm by yellowecho »
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
come on

38PTSWarrior

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

lzr1900

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
come on

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8

For some reason they put all the milestoen dates 1 week apart, but they tend to take about 3 weeks or so.

I remember back at the beginning of the year, that schedule had 1.0 out in mid february, lol. :)

I think we'll see 1.0 this summer. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

ETAs are:
0.9.0 = March 25. 
0.10.0 = April 1 
0.11.0 = April 8
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline James212

• View Profile
[ author=btswildpig link=topic=15186.msg196127#msg196127 date=1427218628]

I'd rather believe it won't be done , then once it's actually done , I would be more happy .

This would mean a continuing falling bts price if everyone took the same point of view and the logic of the market was sound. 

What is needed is proper goal setting, execution, and expectation management, not moving to the other extreme by providing no goals or  timetables at all. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:39:55 pm by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline mitao

• View Profile
Short version: devs are doing what they did like half an year ago, good job; AK is busy traveling, bringing partners, good job; we had many potential business partners, good job.

Overall, GOOD JOB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pheonike

As much as I want too, I haven't told too many people in my personal circle about BitShares yet.  Real people outside of Crypto are not going to understand all that is involved in creating this. So until we have a solid product I will hold off. It's real easy to overstate what's going on and I don't want to have to constantly apologize for things not working as I said they would.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

Some ETA's would be nice to have... is this stuff all a pipe dream, or is there an actual target date to aim for?  I know I'm going to get the "we don't like to give targets because we can't hit them", but it is something that real business that make real money do.

Everything in the update is very vague and this forum is full of posts about "This is happening soon and will make bitshares explode!!" that end up never happening.  I'm very skeptical that any of these business development things actually coming to fruition.

business development will not be done until it is done ...

If they keep announcing the details before it is done , we would be looking at another "overstock" or "prepaid card" news already .

Incorrect detailed achievement would hurt the confidence more . Right now , the word "big thing" is still biting us in the ass every now and then ....

I was one of the people showing off the "big thing" to everybody I knew .... And they have been teasing me since then ...

I'd rather believe it won't be done , then once it's actually done , I would be more happy .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.