Author Topic: BitShares - Safer than a Swiss Bank  (Read 4624 times)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
a dose of realism and validation from others is exactly what you need to lack to hatch the plans we have seen here. perhaps you can find some other words to describe your misgivings.

CLains I always admire your PR skills. You are a great community member.

I'll admit that I'm not providing a constructive criticism. But tough criticism is an important ingredient of success. Sorry if I don't feel like joining your circle jerk.

Trust me when I say no serious financial group is ever going to consider using BitShares unless it changes fundamentally.

Quality lacks - in the beginning that was fine and well understood, but seeing the progress so far I am not impressed.
Documentation & integration with other products lacks.
Stability and security lacks.
Connectivity issues suck.
Forking sucks.
Liquidity sucks.
I could go on and on, what's worse is - I don't see a good plan in place that will address these issues.

So, to go and compare with a bank and proclaim you are more stable than a bank is ludicrous. Your BitUSD liquidity is less than $10K. Software has constant hard forks and often requires people to re-download entire blockchain. I recently thought - OK I'm gonna execute a trade inside BTS. Guess what I had to wait a day to download the blockchain. Some stability right there. I mean really if you expect hard-forks to happen often - build a system that supports that well. NXT updates the client all the time, but it has never affected the functionality.

As far as joining the efforts, it's just really not worth my time, I get better dividends in the projects I'm currently involved in.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
"Better than a Swiss Bank" is the one you gave us before, Stan. We used it only in limited doses so far. I happen to love it. But we have not really focused on selling this to the 'savers' market yet. That is the group I think this would appeal to the most. There are so many potential users: investors, traders, remittancers, bunkerers, cryptoheads, you name it. The savers have been a back-burner niche. I believe they need a stable technology and need to be able to trust it--we are getting very close.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
a dose of realism and validation from others is exactly what you need to lack to hatch the plans we have seen here. perhaps you can find some other words to describe your misgivings.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Wow, delusion has no limits. I love the enthusiasm, but man... I would have had much more respect for this community if it had a does of realism. Starting with Stan.

You still have no good validation from "strangers". How the heck do you expect to grow this at all?

Please elaborate for us how a Swiss Bank is more secure than BitShares in the areas I indicated:  "unconfiscatable, unrehypothicatable, un-bail-in-able, uninflatable and un-betrayable savings".  For your convenience, I provide the following definitions.

Rehypothecation - The practice by banks and brokers of using, for their own purposes, assets that have been posted as collateral by their clients, often without their permission or knowledge (as in the case of MF Global).

Bail-ins - The practice, recently validated in Cyprus, of using depositors money instead of taxpayers money to bail out banks who have taken reckless risks with their depositors assets.

Confiscation - The practice of banks confiscating money in depositor accounts under orders from courts or other national or international government agencies, often without due process or even rule of law.

Inflation - The practice of central banks expanding the supply of various fiat currencies in which an investor's deposits are denominated while holding interest rates below the actual rate of inflation.

Betrayal - The practice of violating long standing privacy laws for which Swiss Banks were once famous in response to pressure from outside governments.

Swiss Banks are often robbed.
BitShares has never been robbed.

$23 Million Stolen in Swiss Bank Robbery
Million-dollar heist in Swiss bank
Swiss bank robbed by man in carnival mask
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:11:00 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

38PTSWarrior

I use it. I tell the people: "This is better than a Swiss bank account".

Offline onceuponatime

Wow, delusion has no limits. I love the enthusiasm, but man... I would have had much more respect for this community if it had a does of realism. Starting with Stan.

You still have no good validation from "strangers". How the heck do you expect to grow this at all?

He was hoping that you would chip in. He was obviously delusional. You are never going to do anything but wait for others to do the work.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
can add 'anywhere' or not  :D

but slogan is good.
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Just curious.
Did anyone in marketing actually use this slogan in a marketing campaign?
If so, I love to have the link.

My favorite troll over on bitcointalk seems to object to it, so I'd love to start using the real thing whenever he is kind enough to bring it up...   8)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1001681.msg10888384#msg10888384
Heh, I remember as a kid hearing my mother hum the jingle to this famous ad as she did the laundry:

(Hint:  It's the last four notes in the 1968 classic rock song "Touch me" by the Doors.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bKSqKpdEFI

Funny, I don't remember her ever telling my dad that

1.  "The tensile strength of this soap powder far exceeds that of dirt."
2.  "This detergent's oder is far more powerful than the smell of your work pants."
3.  "Did you know that Ajax can do the same thing as Atlas -- without shrugging?"

So, from nearly sixty years of training in front of the old boob tube, I've become an expert a recognizing the purpose of a good advertising slogan.

If you can get people to ask, "Oh really?  In what way exactly is Ajax stronger than dirt?", then you have solved half the marketing battle.

So, if we can get the ordinary, non-crypto-aware consumer to ask a similar question, "Oh really, In what way exactly is BitShares safer than a Swiss Bank?" than we will have done our marketing job.

So, I would appreciate it if you would continue to complain everywhere you can about my favorite marketing slogan.  I'd like to see everyone's mother humming that jingle on the way to collect their yield on their unconfiscatable, unrehypothicatable, un-bail-in-able, uninflatable and un-betrayable savings.

BitShares. 
Safer than a Swiss Bank. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.