Author Topic: 0.6.1 on Mac not syncing  (Read 2527 times)

Offline jz831

• View Profile
    • Customized ASIC Controllers
I've had issues syncing with 0.6.1, but most have been solved with Force Quit, and restarting.  Worst case is just remove/rename the /Library/Application Support/BitShares/peers.leveldb folder, and restart client.

Can you or others confirm if removing peers.leveldb always or often fixes this problem for you?

Well, it did seem to work, tho i've only tried it the 1 time, so the sample size is rather tiny.  I've since figured out to save the entire BitShares folder for a backup, as redownloading the entire blockchain was a timely hassle.
What are the steps in doing this?
I'm finding that every time I install a new version I am re-downloading the entire block-chain, and its just so time-consuming recently I can't really do it effectively anymore (especially as I am having syncing issues on the last couple of versions), I'm almost giving up on using the client for trading. Much appreciated if somebody has the preferred step-by-step method.

i simply just made a compressed tar archive of the entire BitShares folder (from the folder containing the BitShares folder, in OSX that's /Library/Application Support/) eg:

tar -pczf BitShares-backup.tar.gz ./BitShares/

then I simply uncompressed that ^^ archive when things went haywire (tho i'm not having the same luck w/client v0.8)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I've had issues syncing with 0.6.1, but most have been solved with Force Quit, and restarting.  Worst case is just remove/rename the /Library/Application Support/BitShares/peers.leveldb folder, and restart client.

Can you or others confirm if removing peers.leveldb always or often fixes this problem for you?

Well, it did seem to work, tho i've only tried it the 1 time, so the sample size is rather tiny.  I've since figured out to save the entire BitShares folder for a backup, as redownloading the entire blockchain was a timely hassle.
I'm finding that every time I install a new version I am re-downloading the entire block-chain, and its just so time-consuming recently I can't really do it effectively anymore (especially as I am having syncing issues on the last couple of versions), I'm almost giving up on using the client for trading. Much appreciated if somebody has the preferred step-by-step method.

It's definitely worth trying to keep a backup of your 'chain' directory. Then, when bitshares lies to your face by saying that 'rescanning' the blockchain will take 'several minutes' or similar language, meaning it will 'download 2.x gb over the next week' - you can instead just quit the client, transplant your backed up 'chain' directory, restart and away.

This may be a too-well kept secret.

P.s., ensure your recently synced bitshares installation is shut down before backing up the chain.

Fantastic Methodise, I will try this. I just need to get fully synced first so I can save a backup of the chain.

Offline Methodise

It's definitely worth trying to keep a backup of your 'chain' directory. Then, when bitshares lies to your face by saying that 'rescanning' the blockchain will take 'several minutes' or similar language, meaning it will 'download 2.x gb over the next week' - you can instead just quit the client, transplant your backed up 'chain' directory, restart and away.

This may be a too-well kept secret.

P.s., ensure your recently synced bitshares installation is shut down before backing up the chain.

BTS: methodise

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit

Offline jz831

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Methodise

How much RAM are you running?  I had issues with syncing and stability using 4GB but now running smooth and synced quickly  with 16GB.  I've heard others having no issues with 8GB though.

I'm able to sync with 4GB Ram on a mac with the northern hemisphere's shittiest internet connection. Perhaps the world's. Seriously, I get just over 2mbs for the whole building to divide up. And that syncs.

Seems odd that the OP's sync stalled if using the most recent version from scratch. The way I approach a hard reset is by backing up (export wallet to json), deleting (renaming) the Application Support/Bitshares folder, then launching the latest version of the client, and importing my most recently exported json.

Clunky but it works.

BTS: methodise

Offline vikram

Offline jz831

• View Profile

Other UX issues and fixes I've had on osx & 0.6.1:
  • Sometimes the normal login password entry doesn't work, and I'm forced to go to the menu -> Accounts -> Goto my Accounts and enter pw there, then I'll get client access.
  • Sometimes the client is blank, try a right click and refresh, this often works.
  • Sometimes the exchange UI won't load, clicking the Flip Market icon (small 2 arrows icon just to the right of the asset name) will often load the market's UI, then just click flip again to return to normal view.

Offline yellowecho

How much RAM are you running?  I had issues with syncing and stability using 4GB but now running smooth and synced quickly  with 16GB.  I've heard others having no issues with 8GB though.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline decibel

• View Profile
  • BitShares: decibel
Hi all,

I've installed the latest version 0.6.1 of the software on a Mac 10.9.5 and after few days of syncing, it stopped syncing for a a couple of days now (with 8 network connections at the moment).

How can I make it sync again?

Thanks