Author Topic: BitShares.tv - A closer look at Moonstone  (Read 4203 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Awesome interview .. plenty of information.

I myself explain the blockchain pretty much the same way as Taulant does: Append-only excel sheet :)

Yes, it seems that slowly but surely the industry is converging o a set of obvious interpretations.

Since blockchains are so obviously different from other databases (they never delete or modify anything), I have been thinking for some time that we could design a new kind of key-value-store which uses this "drawback" as an opportunity. Turns out the Ripple guys have been thinking about this for some time and have come up with their own special blockchain db! I would love to hear your opinion on NuDB. I think it might be an important potential change to Bitshares in the near future.
Hey Taulant,
Thanks for pointing me to nuDB. Never heard of that before. Seems to be an interesting concept. Though I am not too much into database tech to grasp all details of the proposal. However, I wanted to point out that besides simple key/value storage you should read about object relative databases which (from my understanding) contain simple key/value relations too. Anyway, IIRC @toast started to implement this on the blockchain with KeyGraphs .. not sure what the current implementation is capable of but with toast working with @cob you may just ask him about this :)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

I myself explain the blockchain pretty much the same way as Taulant does: Append-only excel sheet :)

Yes, it seems that slowly but surely the industry is converging o a set of obvious interpretations.

Since blockchains are so obviously different from other databases (they never delete or modify anything), I have been thinking for some time that we could design a new kind of key-value-store which uses this "drawback" as an opportunity. Turns out the Ripple guys have been thinking about this for some time and have come up with their own special blockchain db! I would love to hear your opinion on NuDB. I think it might be an important potential change to Bitshares in the near future.

The blockchain data structure (which is just an immutable log of state transitions to apply, if valid, in a particular order) isn't as interesting to me as the state data structure (which does need to be mutable to be practical and efficient). To clarify the difference, the blockchain data structure may include multiple transactions that update the votes of a balance (it includes the full history of transactions and state transitions that give rise, starting from genesis, to any state existing at any point in the blockchain history), but the state data structure may only include a single balance record which has the amount of BTS it holds and the delegate slate the stake is voting for at the point in time in the blockchain history that the state data structure represents. If the state data structure is being mutated live (ignoring some minor details needed for chain reorganization or having recent state snapshots to optionally provide to old resyncing clients) the client can only keep the present state data structure and it also doesn't really need to look at the old blockchain history data structure for the purposes of continuing the sync, updating the state data structure, and keeping up with consensus (maybe the client would still look at the blockchain data structure to rebuild a user's transaction history, assuming they lost that cache of wallet-specific data, or a view of some blockchain history that the user is interested in).

I would like to see more work on such a state data structure. It should easy to spin-off a snapshot of the state at any time (maybe using copy-on-write memory mapped pages) and commit those to disk as desired, while the main state continues to be mutated live as new blocks come in. It should be possible to efficiently (meaning ideally live as the state data structure is mutated block-by-block) commit the entire state to a single root hash such that it is possible to use the state data structure to generate efficient (as in log(K) sized where K is the number of unique keys in the state) proofs of the existence of any key-value pair in the state data structure (assuming the proof verifier trusts the root hash of the state). Using data structures within the main state data structure which are required to maintain a particular order of some attribute (the key) of the value, it is possible to use the previously described proofs to actually also efficiently prove the non-existence of a particular value within the database (this would be useful, for example, to prove to a light client that a particular name has not yet been claimed). Finally, the state data structure should be portable/cross-platform (or it should be easily converted/serialized into a portable/cross-platform format) so that it can be sent to any one who wants to boot strap their state not from the genesis but rather from some point after that which they trust (via trusted checkpoints). Also, It would be a really nice bonus if it was possible to efficiently generate deltas between two state data structures so that one client could update the latest state of another client with less network bandwidth used (since presumably there would be a lot of overlap between the two states, especially if they are not separated by a large amount of blockchain time, which would not have to be included in the delta data structure).

Offline jamesc

Speechless!  If we have helped you with your JavaScript feel free to publish some code so we can review and align our efforts!!!

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Well, just my opinion here ok, so don't shoot the messenger.
When you're in the media, you'll never "settle down" and every branding opportunity counts.

Those collared, long sleeve logo shirts that I showed you a while back would be perfect.
When you are on camera, you are representing all of us. If we are ever going to attract real money to BitShares, we've ALL got to look the part.
All of us.

Professionalism 110%
We set the standard.

Again, Max, please don't take this the wrong way tho, ok? I'm just trying to put in some constructive criticism.
Your studio needs a natural, consistent, comforting backdrop. A professional mic would be nice too.
The chest hair and sailing shirt, the avatar that you use here on BitShares talk, it's time for the upgrade, please.

You are representing all of us.
Please, Max. Please.

I think people should look like themselves. Be individuals. Steve Jobs and even Bill Gates didn't have to do the dressup game. If you've got a great invention people don't seem to care so much how you look and if you're talking to an audience people care more how you sound and overall presentation than suit.

Wearing a suit also might intimidate younger audiences.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
This time around we Chat to bitSapphire AKA Taulant Ramabaja about the Moonstone project.

Our longest episode yet. For the bitshares die-hards.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDU-ooXq-E&index=1&list=PLjgfpSQFJTLqbgHm8mkgPdD-ma7t0bRhK
+5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
As far as the shirts, I am not so sure the shirts are a problem...but we could all pitch in and get Max a pimp overcoat to wear over those chill shirts he's wearing.  If we got 20-30 donators @ 3-5 bitUSD each, we could buy one at the very least worth $500-600. 

lol.  I am fine. I can afford my own clothes.  I looked into a branded backdrop a while ago... as well as a branded shirt.  I concluded that the the more things it takes to make an episode the less episodes I will make.  its just how it is.  The shirts are in the wash. I forgot to pack the backdrop for this trip. etc...

However message received. I will put in more effort in the future, but not at the expense of volume of shows.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline onceuponatime

I was inspired by this interview.

Way to hit it out of the ballpark Max and Taulant!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:51:12 pm by onceuponatime »

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
this was great. lots of really good info in this interview.
kudos max  +5%

Offline bitsapphire

Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline fuzzy

When you're in the media, you'll never "settle down" and every branding opportunity counts.

Those collared, long sleeve logo shirts that I showed you a while back would be perfect.
When you are on camera, you are representing all of us. If we are ever going to attract real money to BitShares, we've ALL got to look the part.
All of us.

Professionalism 110%
We set the standard.

Again, Max, please don't take this the wrong way tho, ok? I'm just trying to put in some constructive criticism.
Your studio needs a natural, consistent, comforting backdrop. A professional mic would be nice too.
The chest hair and sailing shirt, the avatar that you use here on BitShares talk, it's time for the upgrade, please.

Please, Max. Please.

@taulant drops some bombshells in this one. 

@Max has some wonderful questions and laser accurate points.

As far as the shirts, I am not so sure the shirts are a problem...but we could all pitch in and get Max a pimp overcoat to wear over those chill shirts he's wearing.  If we got 20-30 donators @ 3-5 bitUSD each, we could buy one at the very least worth $500-600. 

I'm only halfway through and honestly don't even know why I haven't finished it before posting.  On that note.  Time to go finish this little nugget.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

jakub

Taulant & Max,
Both of you: very well done. Things like this give confidence which is badly needed.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

All of us.

Professionalism 110%
We set the standard.

Please, Max. Please.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Great interview Max!!

I can see Bitshares TV becoming a major part of BitShares, possibly one of the most important PR points.

I'd love to see a widget in the BitShares wallet that let's users watch/learn while trading, similar to the "Think Or Swim" software.

Would you consider upping the game for BitShares TV with a professional mic, classy, natural backdrop, in casual dress etc? Professionalism 110%
Something like this: https://youtu.be/75k2pQHaB1g

I foresee BitShares as Wall Street 2.0. :)

I would love to but I travel too much.  In a different location every few weeks.  I think next year I might settle down and then I do exactly that.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc