Author Topic: Github gets seized, blockchain is wiped out.. what if?  (Read 3202 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I actually had this idea, that the blockchain itself could host the source code, or at least hashes of it / trackers to bittorrent. i.e. the same way delegates get elected, developers can get elected, and then the software would only accept binaries signed by the currently elected dev team.

again +5% +5% +5% ...
Gitchain was supposed to do that, but his project got sidetracked somehow.
That's almost exactly what I had planned too, in "Factom Linux" (my distributed, Blockchain Operating System (BOS) idea) but my idea got shot down because I was "not qualified" to actually pull it off. I never said I was. Anyhooz, the Gitchain thing, combined with our consensus algo, maybe even a dash of Storj tech and you could have one hell of a repo/distro network.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I actually had this idea, that the blockchain itself could host the source code, or at least hashes of it / trackers to bittorrent. i.e. the same way delegates get elected, developers can get elected, and then the software would only accept binaries signed by the currently elected dev team.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
One thing that could help, although is still not a 100% safe is if the binaries were signed. i.e. when there is an update, the current binary could verify that the new one hasn't been tampered with.

+5% +5% +5%
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
One thing that could help, although is still not a 100% safe is if the binaries were signed. i.e. when there is an update, the current binary could verify that the new one hasn't been tampered with.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
it's not a bad idea for a mirror git from github to exist.. a privately hosted one.

+5% +5% +5%
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

it's not a bad idea for a mirror git from github to exist.. a privately hosted one.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline davidpbrown

With the advent of MaidSafe, as encrypted internet, many of these concerns could disappear.. it'll likely be harder to target DDOS attacks and potentially impossible to down data. They suggest many existing services could just switch their datastore across in ways that to me sounded trivial. Lot of work still to do before it's realised but they are making good progress to a testnet.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Ok, github just came back up. It's 1123am CET.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Well, I don't know if it's just me, but github appears to have been inaccessible since last night.
Other websites load up just fine.
This brings development to a halt too.

Has anyone else noticed github being down/hacked/seized/whatever?

Apparently github was hacked ~1 or 2 weeks ago I think.

http://www.ibtimes.com/chinese-government-suspected-github-hack-evidence-links-ddos-attack-censorship-push-1863556
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-coding-website-github-hit-with-cyberattack-1427638940
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/30/github-cleans-up-cyber-attack
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Well, I don't know if it's just me, but github appears to have been inaccessible since last night.
Other websites load up just fine.
This brings development to a halt too.

Has anyone else noticed github being down/hacked/seized/whatever?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
The code resides on many machines.
Most delegates have a recent copy of the repository as they are building the client from source.
I doubt the sources could be lost.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
It's not that I'm paranoid, but I just might be, a little bit- Here's my military training kicking in.
I was sippin my smoothie this afternoon thinkin, ok, worst case scenario, if there was an EMP, all electronics/data would be lost.

So, I'm gonna start burning the .bitshares folder up to cdrom, just in case I lose my thumbdrive.

If Github got wiped out (or seized by feds) the Devs would still have their local ide copies burned to cdrom as well, right?

I know I know, I might be way too extreme in my thinking here, conspiracy theorist, whatever. :-X

I'm just sayin, IF it ever happened, we'd lose everything without a current emp-proof/fed-proof backup of some sort.
I hope others follow my lead on this one, it never hurts to have a Plan B.
www.PalmPay.chat