Author Topic: Attention People! Mumble Server has changed to the larger, more hardcore one...  (Read 12870 times)

Offline JoeyD

Ha....ok my username is Ben Mason and I don't recall filling in a password after filling in the connection details, though I don't think there was a pop-up.  Nevermind, I consider myself faux-pas prone!

Nevermind as in you solved it?

If not I sent you a pm so I can figure out what's going wrong a little faster.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
No just give me your old login name, so I can remove it.

EDIT:
Do not change your certificate afterwards, or we're back to square one. If anything, backup the certificate if you want to keep your name or use it on other devices.

EDIT-2:
Just to be on the safe side. You did not perchance repeat Thoms favorite mumble faux-pas? You did actually fill in the password in the pop-up after filling in the connection details?

Ha....ok my username is Ben Mason and I don't recall filling in a password after filling in the connection details, though I don't think there was a pop-up.  Nevermind, I consider myself faux-pas prone!

Offline JoeyD

No just give me your old login name, so I can remove it.

EDIT:
Do not change your certificate afterwards, or we're back to square one. If anything, backup the certificate if you want to keep your name or use it on other devices.

EDIT-2:
Just to be on the safe side. You did not perchance repeat Thoms favorite mumble faux-pas? You did actually fill in the password in the pop-up after filling in the connection details?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:53:50 am by JoeyD »

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Sorry Fuzzy....if you are busy don't worry.  I'm trying to connect to the mumble server and the connection is being rejected as an unrecognised user name.  I'm trying the username that i registered with  Beyond Bitcoin..... is that right?

Did you change your mumble certificate in the mean time? If so then mumble will not recognize you as the owner of the login name. If you want to reclaim it I can remove the old registered name and you can re-register it.
ok yes please JoeyD.  So i need to re-do the certificate after i've re-registered? Thank you

Offline JoeyD

Sorry Fuzzy....if you are busy don't worry.  I'm trying to connect to the mumble server and the connection is being rejected as an unrecognised user name.  I'm trying the username that i registered with  Beyond Bitcoin..... is that right?

Did you change your mumble certificate in the mean time? If so then mumble will not recognize you as the owner of the login name. If you want to reclaim it I can remove the old registered name and you can re-register it.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

For now usage of the certificates is set to optional on the server, so you don't strictly need one, but that also means to you have no control over that username and that someone else might be able to impersonate you or register it in your stead.

Mumbles encryption with certificates seems to work the same as ssh with publickeys.
In both cases, if you lose your half of the key, access to that name is no longer possible.
Thing is, this only becomes a problem when and if you've registered yourself on the mumble server, which is the same as telling mumble to use your certificate from now on. As long as you don't register, the certificate is not used, afaik.

If you've locked yourself out, you can send a message with your mumble-login name to Fuzzy, JabbaJabba or me and one of us can remove the registered name through the mumble-client itself.

I'm not aware of either fuzzy or jabba making anybody else a moderator on mumble, so for now we three are the only ones capable of removing registered names from the list.

I have control of the ACL so I am sure I could put others as admins if they wished. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline JoeyD

For now usage of the certificates is set to optional on the server, so you don't strictly need one, but that also means to you have no control over that username and that someone else might be able to impersonate you or register it in your stead.

Mumbles encryption with certificates seems to work the same as ssh with publickeys.
In both cases, if you lose your half of the key, access to that name is no longer possible.
Thing is, this only becomes a problem when and if you've registered yourself on the mumble server, which is the same as telling mumble to use your certificate from now on. As long as you don't register, the certificate is not used, afaik.

If you've locked yourself out, you can send a message with your mumble-login name to Fuzzy, JabbaJabba or me and one of us can remove the registered name through the mumble-client itself.

I'm not aware of either fuzzy or jabba making anybody else a moderator on mumble, so for now we three are the only ones capable of removing registered names from the list.

Offline fuzzy

I've run into this problem myself. One important question to ask is:

Have you ever successfully connected to BBC mumble?

If the answer is yes the problem is that the mumble server "knows you" by the credentials / certificate you used before, which is different than the one you are now trying to connect with.

I am not certain but I believe nothing has to be setup or configured on the server to gain access for brand new users. If you answered no to the question and still cannot connect then there is another issue at play I am not aware of.

IIRC, there is almost no info about certificates on the "howto" page for joining our mumble. I remember the first time I connected I had questions about that as the mumble client provides a few choices about it and I didn't have a clue what the server expected or which of those choices were important.

Perhaps the info about certs, are you a new user, ever connected with mumble are just too much detail for the howto page. But this issue does seem to come up fairly frequently and should be resolved if possible.

Good idea. 

Offline Thom

I've run into this problem myself. One important question to ask is:

Have you ever successfully connected to BBC mumble?

If the answer is yes the problem is that the mumble server "knows you" by the credentials / certificate you used before, which is different than the one you are now trying to connect with.

I am not certain but I believe nothing has to be setup or configured on the server to gain access for brand new users. If you answered no to the question and still cannot connect then there is another issue at play I am not aware of.

IIRC, there is almost no info about certificates on the "howto" page for joining our mumble. I remember the first time I connected I had questions about that as the mumble client provides a few choices about it and I didn't have a clue what the server expected or which of those choices were important.

Perhaps the info about certs, are you a new user, ever connected with mumble are just too much detail for the howto page. But this issue does seem to come up fairly frequently and should be resolved if possible.

One thing I just thought of is if I am correct that connecting to the BBC mumble server the very first time requires NO server side setup (fairly certain that is true), then it's a matter of removing your cert on you client and connecting. I looked everywhere to find where the freak'n mumble client stored the cert but failed to find it. In my last issue, on a Mac, I uninstalled / reinstalled the app and connected with a different name and successfully logged in without difficulty. The key points to remember is to use a new name unknown to the server and make sure the client is running as "brand new", no knowledge of you or BBC server.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:22:36 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline konelectric

I hate mumble on iOS. The certificate issue is very frustrating. Not going to attract new users with... /rant

I agree. Haven't been able to attend for sometime because of the certification issue.
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline fuzzy

Offline fuzzy

Offline fuzzy

18:47] Server connection rejected: Wrong certificate or password.
[18:50] Connecting to server mumble.beyondbitcoinshow.com.
[18:50] Connected.
[18:50] Server connection rejected: Wrong password.
[18:51] Reconnecting.
[18:51] Connected.
[18:51] Server connection rejected: Wrong password.

This is odd.  I'll have to talk to joey about it.  There has to be something that can be done about the certificate issue.

Offline bitacer

18:47] Server connection rejected: Wrong certificate or password.
[18:50] Connecting to server mumble.beyondbitcoinshow.com.
[18:50] Connected.
[18:50] Server connection rejected: Wrong password.
[18:51] Reconnecting.
[18:51] Connected.
[18:51] Server connection rejected: Wrong password.