Author Topic: NXT is better than BitShares?  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile
BitShares made a boat load of money during multiple fund raising campaigns, development is well funded for now, benefits from a centralized leadership, but I feel like if the money dries up, most the core devs would walk away and BitShares becomes abandoned.

The latest update, at least the latest I heard through a recent Mumble recording, is that Dan has secured a funding stream for long term development by all current core devs.
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline bernard

• View Profile
NXT has pretty much been run on zero budget with a grassroots collection of developers keen to make a decentralized system.  But this decentralized nature has meant a less organized direction or cohesion as mentioned above.

BitShares made a boat load of money during multiple fund raising campaigns, development is well funded for now, benefits from a centralized leadership, but I feel like if the money dries up, most the core devs would walk away and BitShares becomes abandoned.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
NXT is what you get when you develop for an anarchist group of developers perhaps working for free or early miners.... maybe a bunch of younger people or teenagers some smart some not, contributing but in an unorganized fashion.... while Bitshares is a democratic system with developers who are voted in and consider work somewhat of a responsibility in terms of quality and execution because they were "hired"... the quality of work should shine through more and more.

With NXT you will get tons of startup projects.. less finished and even less that are quality approved for mainstream use. Their roadmap may seem more extensive but its just eye candy more than anything.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:30:02 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline yellowecho

I moved here from NXT a little over a year ago. Every time I've checked back into it since then, there hasn't been anything there I've wanted to use or own. BitShares is superior in every way.

I was an early adopter of NXT on the original DGEX but sold everything and came here too.  In my experience, NXT offered a lot on the surface but the overall execution always seemed poor and unpolished.  I realize that the BitShares client has had bugs here and there but the first iteration client was far better than anything I experienced with NXT and I've been active in the internal exchange since day 1.

Exactly same situation with me. NXT in the beginning was just unhandable...I was so afraid of loosing my NXTs they way the whole thing was working so I sold everything within the first couple of weeks. I didn't have any difficulties with BTS from day 1 in handling things and never felt the same insecurity of loosing my BTS..

However...NXT clients were stabilized much faster and are stable now. BTS is far from a stable version yet. I do appreciate though that this is comparing two completely things and that's why I have moved away from NXT to BTS from the start.. But I feel that we could have done things much better and we shouldn't be where we stand today...

Agreed.  I was afraid to lose NXT as well... the interface and brain wallet just felt unsecure and amateur.  I've played with the new NXT client and it is more stable now but I'm still not attracted to their execution or community... and it seems to lack cohesion.  In fact, I think the current state of NXT is exactly where BTS would have gone if the merger hadn't happened.  And I feel you on the stability of the BTS client but most of it is in the GUI which shouldn't be a big deal and Moonstone will likely bring a lot to the table so I'm optimistic.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I moved here from NXT a little over a year ago. Every time I've checked back into it since then, there hasn't been anything there I've wanted to use or own. BitShares is superior in every way.

I was an early adopter of NXT on the original DGEX but sold everything and came here too.  In my experience, NXT offered a lot on the surface but the overall execution always seemed poor and unpolished.  I realize that the BitShares client has had bugs here and there but the first iteration client was far better than anything I experienced with NXT and I've been active in the internal exchange since day 1.

Exactly same situation with me. NXT in the beginning was just unhandable...I was so afraid of loosing my NXTs they way the whole thing was working so I sold everything within the first couple of weeks. I didn't have any difficulties with BTS from day 1 in handling things and never felt the same insecurity of loosing my BTS..

However...NXT clients were stabilized much faster and are stable now. BTS is far from a stable version yet. I do appreciate though that this is comparing two completely things and that's why I have moved away from NXT to BTS from the start.. But I feel that we could have done things much better and we shouldn't be where we stand today...

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I love the educated, thorough, honest and open-minded discussions here.
Thank you everyone :)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
There's a focus here that you won't find with NXT. BitShares has decentralization, but with the developers and community, there's also a common interest in profitability and making things work for the greater good. Meanwhile, NXT feels like it's all over the place. If BitShares is a tight, sexy downtown destination, then NXT is a strip mall next to the highway.

Offline mdj

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mdj
I spent a decent amount of time checking out NXT but I just wasn't "feeling it" in the same way as Bitshares. Also their distribution/fundraiser wasn't as fair as Bitshares. They have a lot more boxes ticked but the whole thing feels clunky and rushed.

Offline bytemaster

Good to hear that, thanks for the feedback.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
In theory , there always will be products that's better than BitShares in a technical or even functional point of view .

( Although this certainly not NXT ) .

But just as business in the real world , what brings BitShares to the current place is not just technology , but market force , user base , investor base .

So I wouldn't sweat it .

Same goes to Bitcoin , everyone says Bitcoin technology sucks , takes forever to send a transaction , but still , Bitcoin is the No.1 , because the user base of millions .

Technology only accounts for 30% of the success .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
NXT produces block in under a minute (they want to reduce this to an 'instance').
A decentralized exchange with the current confirmation times isn't very appealing.

Unless there's a bigger plan, their recent spinning off a variety of DACs/implementations reminds what BitShares eventually had to move away from to focus on BTS.
With the funding they've got, may be they can do something about that.

At a casual glance it seemed that NXT had more work done with the supporting ecosystem: wallets, web-wallets, supporting sites.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Man you guys, good points and good testimonies.
Let that "EvilDave" guy know in the disqus thread..

That post is today's news too, so your comment can be seen.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

NXT doesn't have as fast or decentralized transactions (yet).  From what I understand it also doesn't scale as well as DPoS.  It is an interesting model though. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D