Author Topic: How I use the bitshares wallet painlessly.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline yellowecho

I'm not a techie, but on MacBooks there is a command in the terminal window to prevent the laptop from sleeping, "pmset noidle". Worth looking up. Not sure about windows.

I use an app called Caffeine which essentially does the same thing without having to go into the terminal.. and it lives in the menu bar for easy access
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffeine/id411246225?mt=12

With that said, when my computer sleeps or turns off the blockchain syncs so quickly that it's nearly immediate.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:03:41 am by yellowecho »
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
if one has a good desktop computer they can probably manage. Besides resources, the problem with running on a laptop, is when you're laptop sleeps, then when it wakes up it has to resync. Sometimes it won't even resync. But if you have a windows machine maybe it's not so great, since the windows client is always having problems... so I hear.
I'm not a techie, but on MacBooks there is a command in the terminal window to prevent the laptop from sleeping, "pmset noidle". Worth looking up. Not sure about windows.

Offline ag

• View Profile
if one has a good desktop computer they can probably manage. Besides resources, the problem with running on a laptop, is when you're laptop sleeps, then when it wakes up it has to resync. Sometimes it won't even resync. But if you have a windows machine maybe it's not so great, since the windows client is always having problems... so I hear.

Offline yellowecho

I booster my RAM to 16GB and smooth sailing except for a recent GUI bug on the 0.8.0a update. 8)
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline ag

• View Profile
I pay $15 a month for a double-core, 2gb ram, 40gb SSD, machine/instance. I make a 4gb swap file on the SSD. On that I run the bitshares daemon, and the nodejs web wallet. Then in my web browser I could use the client at ${machine_ip}:8000. I actually block port 8000 out of caution ( I couldn't figure out how to have the web socket bind to localhost ) and then I forward the port to my laptop over an ssh session I initiate with the machine. But this shouldn't be necessary since the web socket has authentication.

This is great for me, because running the daemon on my laptop is a disaster. I've had the setup for many months.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:54:24 am by ag »