Author Topic: BTS: .P2P .DAC - Decentralized DNS using the BitShares blockchain!  (Read 17164 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
If it's ok with them, maybe you could PM their contact info to me so I can chat with them about it?
Thanx so much @emigalotti :)

or jsut invite them to our community here ... so we can start a public discussion :)
This would be great...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
If it's ok with them, maybe you could PM their contact info to me so I can chat with them about it?
Thanx so much @emigalotti :)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline emigalotti

• View Profile
Looks like we're not the only ones working on DDNS:
http://what3words.com/examples/
There are a lot of people working on DDNS, I know a couple.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Looks like we're not the only ones working on DDNS:
http://what3words.com/examples/

EuroNews just had a segment on it:
http://www.euronews.com/2015/06/29/new-app-puts-everyone-on-the-map/

I foresee more than 3 words (ddns:mail.kencode, ddns:web.kencode, ddns:temp.oven.kitchen.home.kencode, etc), but they are doing exactly what I said was going to be needed for routing to an address or device. Let's decentralize everything! 8)
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline hodor

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hodor
Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Excellent, educated, insightful replies crypto4ever, very refreshing thank you :)

I guess most people are just not thinking yet about how important DDNS really is.
We work so hard to get decentralization to the masses and bring an end to corruption, poverty, haters, etc that we lose focus. The speeder issue you mentioned was right on target for most people, I'm sure. When I see police questioning people however, I have a completely different reaction. I see government using force to get you to comply with whatever their latest demand is. Most people don't even know their rights. Yes, fighting the system can get you into heaps of trouble (I should know) but when we stop trying, we lose. Bigtime.

All of our efforts are probably being laughed at right now by our "leaders" because they know that all they have to do is order the ISP's to start locking it down (via the many methods I have mentioned in my posts). It's sad, I'd hate to see all of our work go to waste.

If they control the internet, they control it all. Just like food, energy and money.

Ok, back on track, this thread is supposed to be DDNS related hehe :)
@crypto4ever - Would you like to participate in one of our DDNSWG Panels on mumble?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
When the populace is overrun by sheep that have been beat down their entire lives, they get excited when they see others persecution and support it wholeheartedly. Sad.

This is why people laugh hysterically when a cop pulls over a speeder in  front of them. Baha haha he deserved it! I hope the cop gets him good! They cheer.

Little did they know they speeder had his dying 9 year old daughter in the backseat with her mother holding her, while they were on the way to the hospital. Yes, the daughter just got hit while he was changing a tire at the side of the road and there was no time to wait for an ambulance.

Yeah, you never know what you're maniacally laughing at when you see the persecution of somebody else.

What I think it amounts to is relief in the form of laughter, like, "finally! some else has their day ruined instead of just me"

We all have sick habits that need to be corrected.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
Decentralized DNS must allow a registered host to "Network Hop" and update the blockchain continually.

Currently authoritative DNS for a domain typically exists for 259200 seconds (3 days)

I don't know what design will happen for decentralized DNS, but I should be able to be www.somesite.php = 192.168.1.1 in the morning, and then I can be www.somesite.php=192.168.2.2 a few hours later.

If you're going to use authoritative dns servers (like ns.somesite.php and ns2.somesite.php, those must be able to be changed hourly (or by the minute) too)

Finally, the "history" of what IP's a p2p site or its authoritative dns was a few weeks ago, should be irrelevant, so a new user downloading the chain doesn't need to know where the site was in the past. It only needs to know the latest information about where the site is "right now"

You will find that IP changes and network hopping will be common once p2p goes live. 

By the way ever see the Leonardo DiCaprio movie "Catch me if you can?"   - We all know who will be filling the same role of Tom Hanks in that film, in a p2p DNS environment.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:18:31 pm by crypto4ever »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Let's see what action legislation might take .. at least for bitcoin you seem
to be rather safe .. in Germany .. it is totally allowed to use here
How about do some research first and no spread FUD?

What's FUD?
These questions *are* legitimate research.

As for legislation, IMO it doesn't matter who, or what you vote for anymore. When the populace is overrun by sheep that have been beat down their entire lives, they get excited when they see others persecution and support it wholeheartedly. Sad. That's the kind of stuff that will end these projects.

Here's some more "research":
What if the ISP's just disallow you to download an app called "xeroc"? That's what I meant by "name" earlier.
China blocks access to facebook, right? Why not all crypto web/appstore/gplay wallets too? Do you understand my concerns?
How about the ISP just blocks all of your encrypted packets?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Could Moonstone be blocked via dns?
Sure .. but you can also host moonstone on your own hardware .. elsewhere .. see
thepiratebay

Or via a specific port that's used by Moonstone?
Maybe the type of technology/protocol/algo the wallet calls on?
sure .. it's tcpip/http/www .. I my ISP was to block those I take legal actions

Or its particular app name?
Or where it is downloaded *from*?
Or keywords it uses upon execution?
??? Makes no sense .. names can be changed .. download sources too

I'm not an ISP, but I can foresee them already thinking this stuff through. If
they were ordered to stop the Lime Wallet, Mycelium, Moonstone (or what have
you), these (above) may be some ways they could give it a shot, no?
At least in Germany there exists software that is illegal to use (though not to
download) .. those are called "hacker tools" or more technically "penetration
testing software" ..

Let's see what action legislation might take .. at least for bitcoin you seem
to be rather safe .. in Germany .. it is totally allowed to use here

How about do some research first and no spread FUD?

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
if I understand you right then what you fear is technically not possible

Could Moonstone be blocked via dns?
Or via a specific port that's used by Moonstone?
Maybe the type of technology/protocol/algo the wallet calls on?
Or its particular app name?
Or where it is downloaded *from*?
Or keywords it uses upon execution?

I'm not an ISP, but I can foresee them already thinking this stuff through. If they were ordered to stop the Lime Wallet, Mycelium, Moonstone (or what have you), these (above) may be some ways they could give it a shot, no?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
If they can't seize your crypto directly, maybe they could even block wallet apps. Related:
http://www.coindesk.com/accenture-uk-government-should-regulate-bitcoin-wallets/
There's a big fact "SHOULD" in the title .. it doesn't say that it is possible

Next, banksters/govs will backdoor us by shaking hands with the UN and ISP's.
Governments already shake hands with ISPs and the UN is defines a "united" set of governments

Question:
DDNS is one thing, but is it possible for ISP's (or phone malware they inject) to block which types of apps you can download too?
if I understand you right then what you fear is technically not possible

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
If they can't seize your crypto directly, maybe they could even block wallet apps. Related:
http://www.coindesk.com/accenture-uk-government-should-regulate-bitcoin-wallets/

Next, banksters/govs will backdoor us by shaking hands with the UN and ISP's.

Question:
DDNS is one thing, but is it possible for ISP's (or phone malware they inject) to block which types of apps you can download too?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline mdw

• View Profile
Hey Indo  :)

Great comments, and no, we'll never have a consensus about "squatting," whatever that means to the individual reader. Your view and mine are closer than most I think. There are multiple behaviors that always seem to get lumped into this generic bag called squatting. They should be dealt with differently, as they are in the conventional system. How much of a problem the respective behaviors are is a matter of opinion, but each has its unique set of edge cases to be accounted for.

As for fighting "squatting" I personally don't think any of this is necessary. I think the only thing that *should* be done is to hold back the best names, as the conventional registry operators do. Not to prevent them from being registered, but simply because a lot of money can be made selling them for high prices. But almost everyone here disagrees, and thinks squatting is a huge problem, so I simply wanted to say that there are so many easy things you can do to make it less desirable.

My point about the speedy registration times was that it's a distinguishing feature Bitshares can offer that competitors cannot. The original project had the "anti-squatting" mechanism (auctions) touted as the primary thing that was different. So I tried to make the point that offering "instant registrations" is a better differentiator. First time registrants are often eager to get started. And paired with some really basic DIY web page builder they can register a name and have a simple site built and resolving in minutes. Not hours. No other potential competitor can offer this to my knowledge.

This chain is fast, and that fact should be exploited. Play the cards you're dealt right? It's also more centralized, and I think that can be used to great advantage in designing certain system features as well.
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline indolering

• View Profile
Hey Mike!  Glad to see you are hanging around here still!

I won't address everything raised in the thread but I'll hit the highlights. 

Two hours vs twenty seconds for domain registration isn't a big deal: in my experience, it takes that long for resolvers to warm up and get things pointing to your host with traditional domains.  Just to be clear, you can't steal a Namecoin domain by simply rebroadcasting the initial registration info or even figure out what domain was registered based on the initial registration. You are left with the same race conditions that are true of two traditional registrars registering the same domain at the same time.

When it comes to fighting squatting, the goal is simple: reduce the profits of professional squatters.  There are various schemes for fighting them and they could all be benchmarked to see which ones impact squatters more than regular users.  However, outside of the initial "sunrise" auction, I think that auctions and complex pricing algorithms would just deter regular consumers. The range of prices is pretty narrow and dictated by competition with other TLDs: anything less than $5 is too low and anything greater than $50 is too high.

I strongly disagree with mechanisms that attempt to extract higher rents from established (legitimate) domains because these domains increase the overall value of the naming system   Any system that extracts additional rent from regular users will push them to TLDs that don't have exotic pricing schemes.

It's also fairly easy to foil algorithms designed to punish bulk domain purchasers.  For example, you couldn't increase the price for accounts with large numbers of domains beyond the cost of creating a new account.  Trying to setup delegates who decide what domains are being squatted on would just kick-start an unprofitable game of cat-and-mouse. 

And, again, the range of prices we can charge is very limited.  What's the difference between charging $25 per domain vs $5 + a $20 deposit?  The fact-of-the-matter is that we don't have enough money to pay someone to even implement such a scheme.  I would prefer to just set prices at $20 and mess around with pricing algorithms after we get off-the-ground.