Author Topic: BTS: .P2P .DAC - Decentralized DNS using the BitShares blockchain!  (Read 17163 times)

Offline namjar

• View Profile
I think you should contact EMC Dev (emercoin.com) to cooperate for decentralized DNS.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I've got a Dev connection at namecoin, will contact him now..
Are you thinking of making some kind of joint project with Namecoin? If not, then I would like to suggest so and even sharedrop to namecoin holders (i actually don't own any). DNS would get more support, BitShares would get more exposure and create a good relationship with a new community, which I think we are in need since apparently people see us as a community that bashes other projects and that's it, that we're arrogant. That would fit in nice and we would only win with that situation imo

I'm all over it. 8)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Are you thinking of making some kind of joint project with Namecoin? If not, then I would like to suggest so and even sharedrop to namecoin holders (i actually don't own any). DNS would get more support, BitShares would get more exposure and create a good relationship with a new community, which I think we are in need since apparently people see us as a community that bashes other projects and that's it, that we're arrogant. That would fit in nice and we would only win with that situation imo
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I think DNS is on a hold until 1.0 release ..
lack of man power would be my guess

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Another major media Writer wants to do a story with me about BitShares DNS (ddns?) now and how it's coming along.
I told him that I'd get back to him asap.

@Indolering
@Toast
@Stan
@ByteMaster
@___________?

Guys please contact me about the DNS roadmap ASAP.
I don't want to lose the media momentum I am building.

Thanx in advance,
  -ken

ken@kenCode.de
Skype/Tweets: kenCode_de
G+ and Hangouts: http://google.com/+kenCode

www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Thom

The UN could issue an order to shut down all crypto related websites or web wallets tomorrow. 

This is why I am so puzzled that DNS has been allowed to fall from our focus. This is not an impossible scenario by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't know why a sense of urgency isn't more prevalent.

Thanks again kenCode for resurrecting this in the consciousness of the community.

Thanks also to fuzzy for trying to make the hangout with indolering / NMC happen.

I read indolering's proposal, and it is obvious he is well studied on DNS & the institutions and politics involved with it. I would like to understand his perspective of trying to reshape those existing structures vs. inventing new, separate ones that obsolete the existing, in the same way as blockchain tech obsoletes existing financial infrastructures.

There are clearly challenges in making a pathway to bridge the old and new in DNS just as there are for crypto & fiat currency.

Perhaps I'm too much of an idealist. I get uneasy when proposed bridges feel to me as clinging to the old, or at least rely too much on the old, rather than blaze a new independent trail to reach the destination. I dislike methods that strengthen the old ways (or allow them to continue to live on) as justification for adoption of a proposed path to reach our destination, as a means to gain adoption of the new system, closer to the ideal which is free from coercion, manipulation and control by a centralized entity.

DNS is technically not that difficult of a problem to solve. The challenge primarily is political, practical and how to reach a consensus on the  approach to take, without compromising the goal of a solution that supports freedom.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
But you are right insofar as there doesn't seem to be any development on that front, and we should get this moving. What has become of Indolering's excellent proposal?
At any rate I asked @indolering to comment on this thread to give us an update about launching his delegates.

Maybe @indolering (or whoever) could use a combined set of DPOS and Open Transactions (OT) for this? Bitsapphire mentioned OT may be used as well.
The UN could issue an order to shut down all crypto related websites or web wallets tomorrow. 

Can we (doodle?) schedule a mumble with the key players for this and get some kind of roadmap for ddns?
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I'm working to get him and a couple of his friends from namecoin to join us in a Mumble hangout soon.  That is going on behind the scenes.  They seemed interested, so we it is more likely than not it will happen.  :)

Please PM me the day/time/timezone so I can listen in, thank you so much fuzzy :)
See our comments above this post too regarding squatting and icq-style app..
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
v0.1 beta of the DNS can be something as simple as a taskbar widget that someone clicks, enters in a URL, it does a p2p query for the latest IP address for that site, and then displays an HTML link that the user clicks.
This way, you don't have to have any browser extensions.
You don't have to bind yourself to the dns resolver or network interface
This allows site names to map to ever changing IP addresses, from a p2p database.  It's a very "lite" client, that doesn't need a huge download.
Microsoft never shipped with utorrent or ICQ, but look how popular those were.  A little taskbar widget for Windows could really work.
v1 could be a browser plugin
v2 could be something that binds to the network interface almost like hotspot shield does..
By the way, if you expect the client to have to process regular BTS blocks, with all the other non-DNS traffic, I highly recommend against that.  You need this to be as lean and mean as possible, as a separate dedicated sidechain.
If you're worried about getting BTS to gain benefit from this, all you have to do is make registering names happen via BTS only.
But clients need to do minimal processing in order to resolve a name.  Right now, you type in a name and in milliseconds you get your answer from the root servers with only a  less than 1 kb of traffic in either direction.
That's going to be the hard part.  Designing a dedicated blockchain that hardly ever hard forks that is simple and quick, and stores very little resources on the client so it can work on phones and other small devices.

I love your idea!

A DNS database is just that. It's a lookup service, just like utorrent as you mentioned. So, if we go with .p2p, .dac, whatever, we just need to distribute that file to nodes that would like to host it, right?

It's essentially becoming its own blockchain, which at a later date could be chained into the BitShares blockchain or any other dapp that wants to make use of it.

As you mentioned above, registration would happen the BTS way. TITAN is a great example of this, only one person can have a specific user/account name.
Since I have already registered username kencode then I guess this means that kencode.p2p is mine already. I had to pay some BTS to get it, not much, but it was something.

Squatting: This is the tough one. Make the domain more expensive? Require votes from the community via your "delegate business plan" for use of that domain? This leads back to my idea at the top for this. The delegate name is the "web" hostname in a sense. A 0% payrate, but must be voted on nonetheless. Keybase.io has an interesting "proof of use" model for this too. The more links to other social/web accounts you own, the better.

The lite client you mention is awesome, we could start out with that, no gui really, just a tiny popup, like icq.
I'd be willing to run a full node of course to assist resolutions.

So, now we just need a coder to make the little icq-style popup app, and we need to clarify the squatter issue..............
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline fuzzy

IMO the DNS stuff should be done properly, and that takes time. If we rush out a half-baked solution we'll regret it later.

But you are right insofar as there doesn't seem to be any development on that front, and we should get this moving. What has become of Indolering's excellent proposal?

I'm working to get him and a couple of his friends from namecoin to join us in a Mumble hangout soon.  That is going on behind the scenes.  They seemed interested, so we it is more likely than not it will happen.  :)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
v0.1 beta of the DNS can be something as simple as a taskbar widget that someone clicks, enters in a URL, it does a p2p query for the latest IP address for that site, and then displays an HTML link that the user clicks.

This way, you don't have to have any browser extensions.

You don't have to bind yourself to the dns resolver or network interface

This allows site names to map to ever changing IP addresses, from a p2p database.  It's a very "lite" client, that doesn't need a huge download.

Microsoft never shipped with utorrent or ICQ, but look how popular those were.  A little taskbar widget for Windows could really work.

v1 could be a browser plugin

v2 could be something that binds to the network interface almost like hotspot shield does..

By the way, if you expect the client to have to process regular BTS blocks, with all the other non-DNS traffic, I highly recommend against that.  You need this to be as lean and mean as possible, as a separate dedicated sidechain.

If you're worried about getting BTS to gain benefit from this, all you have to do is make registering names happen via BTS only.

But clients need to do minimal processing in order to resolve a name.  Right now, you type in a name and in milliseconds you get your answer from the root servers with only a  less than 1 kb of traffic in either direction.

That's going to be the hard part.  Designing a dedicated blockchain that hardly ever hard forks that is simple and quick, and stores very little resources on the client so it can work on phones and other small devices.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:40:30 am by crypto4ever »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
IMO the DNS stuff should be done properly, and that takes time. If we rush out a half-baked solution we'll regret it later.
Talked to devs about this, and you are pretty much spot on. I think the intent is lay down some foundational work to leverage such as turing complete scripting to build DNS functionality correctly. Thom's point is also correct; figuring out a methodology that will be attractive- i.e. predictable, is the key to DNS. The auction system doesn't fulfill this as he pointed out.
At any rate I asked @indolering to comment on this thread to give us an update about launching his delegates.

Thank you guys, MUCH appreciated for your attention to this. Please keep this thread updated, thank you :)
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline robrigo

Talked to devs about this, and you are pretty much spot on. I think the intent is lay down some foundational work to leverage such as turing complete scripting to build DNS functionality correctly. Thom's point is also correct; figuring out a methodology that will be attractive- i.e. predictable, is the key to DNS. The auction system doesn't fulfill this as he pointed out.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
... the solution is a mater of vetting proposals and building consensus to implement the one chosen...

Right, so let's keep this thread laser-focused.
List your Top 5 (highly detailed) idea(s) for how decentralized DNS should work.
1. ken Code's idea
If everybody lists their (highly detailed) idea(s) here, then I will setup an additional Poll with the Top 5 ideas from the results in this thread.
Then, the winning choice from the additional Poll will determine WHICH route we should go with DNS, and this Poll (above) determines WHEN.

So, EVERYONE, please name up to 5 highly detailed ideas on how you would like to see decentralized DNS work...
www.PalmPay.chat