Author Topic: BTS 0.8.1 is forking  (Read 10643 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
off topic
i wonder what imapct for  mass adoption the growing sice of the wallet will have
if a average useres pc with lets say 4 to 8 gb working space and a 120 gb disc and a series 4 procesor cant handle it

my procesor is while downloading the blockchain most of the time at 100% and i added already a extra cooling pad

right now the bitshare is less then a year runnning and only a few use it
what size will it have when millions use it , trade ........... every day
and if there is a upgrade for the wallet you need to resync the chain from day one?

i daubt many average useres or new users will have the patience to wait for days till its synct

i wonder if there is a way to make it smaler and faster
i read something about ethereum that they use a snapshot on which all sort of delegates or miners agree and put it in a codepoint
i am not a expert but as i understood it :
make a picture of the agreed chain part seel it and use that as a startpoint for the wallet

it reminds me of music files and how they developed mp3 technique i wonder if that is posible with the blockchain
It's said that average users will use the light wallet or web wallet in the future.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline roselee

• View Profile
off topic
i wonder what imapct for  mass adoption the growing sice of the wallet will have
if a average useres pc with lets say 4 to 8 gb working space and a 120 gb disc and a series 4 procesor cant handle it

my procesor is while downloading the blockchain most of the time at 100% and i added already a extra cooling pad

right now the bitshare is less then a year runnning and only a few use it
what size will it have when millions use it , trade ........... every day
and if there is a upgrade for the wallet you need to resync the chain from day one?

i daubt many average useres or new users will have the patience to wait for days till its synct

i wonder if there is a way to make it smaler and faster
i read something about ethereum that they use a snapshot on which all sort of delegates or miners agree and put it in a codepoint
i am not a expert but as i understood it :
make a picture of the agreed chain part seel it and use that as a startpoint for the wallet

it reminds me of music files and how they developed mp3 technique i wonder if that is posible with the blockchain

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:49:05 pm by roselee »

Offline roselee

• View Profile

For me the major issue was running out of disk space on the VPS due to exploding log files, did you make sure you have enough disk space?
[/quote]

is 64 gb enough?

Offline svk

i have the same problem
will the next upgrade solve this?
i use now 0.8.1 and try for weeks now to get it synced
after days of loading the blockchain i end always stuck
and the del paticipation got never over 30%
it loses networkconections
or wallet does not response errors
and i have to quit the client in task manager
will there be a solution for this soon ?

For me the major issue was running out of disk space on the VPS due to exploding log files, did you make sure you have enough disk space?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline roselee

• View Profile
i have the same problem
will the next upgrade solve this?
i use now 0.8.1 and try for weeks now to get it synced
after days of loading the blockchain i end always stuck
and the del paticipation got never over 30%
it loses networkconections
or wallet does not response errors
and i have to quit the client in task manager
will there be a solution for this soon ?

Offline marcelus

• View Profile
Adding the checkpoints and re-indexing hasn't worked. If I am to start from scratch is it advisable to use a chain server? I was using one and ended up on a minority fork so...

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Bitsharesblocks is finally up and running, hopefully it won't go out of sync again!
What would be necessary to add one of my machines as api server?
I'm also interested in this (:.
The more nodes we could pick the better.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Bitsharesblocks is finally up and running, hopefully it won't go out of sync again!
What would be necessary to add one of my machines as api server?

Offline svk

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Strangely I haven't seen any issues...
Neither on delegates nor on the seed node.
I hope I'll not see what you describe (:

Tuck Fheman

zillions of minors asynchronously trying to find the next puzzle key

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Both of my api servers for Bitsharesblocks just found themselves on forks and when I tried to restart the client they just deleted the blockchain and started syncing from scratch. So bitsharesblocks will be out of service for another 7 hours or so.... This is getting pretty frustrating tbh.
Its alot faster to sync this version
Not for me, I'm also getting segmentation faults, random crashes and sync stopping for no reason :( I left the western api server to sync last night, woke up to find it stuck at block 990000..

* delete the .BitShares/logs and .BitShares/exceptions folders
* use chainserver: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline svk

Both of my api servers for Bitsharesblocks just found themselves on forks and when I tried to restart the client they just deleted the blockchain and started syncing from scratch. So bitsharesblocks will be out of service for another 7 hours or so.... This is getting pretty frustrating tbh.
Not for me, I'm also getting segmentation faults, random crashes and sync stopping for no reason :( I left the western api server to sync last night, woke up to find it stuck at block 990000..

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline svk