Author Topic: Power of the community: Price recovery action 1  (Read 22616 times)

Offline svk

Yeah  I'm with svk, Ander & Fuzzy on the 'merger' subject. 

I started following BTS after the 'merger' but it was always a puzzle why it was necessary.  Building a conglomerate seemed contrary to the ethos of decentralization and also business competition.  The 'merger' was spun as the creation of a  'SuperDAC' and I understand putting everything in a positive light for marketing, but I think from a business perspective it would be good to reflect on the 'merger' to decide if it was worth it.  It was really just an acquisition of Vote & DNS for 20% of the company post-merger.   Was that a good decision? 

I don't think so.  We're a long away from the days of vertical integration and monopolization as Rockerfeller did with the oil industry  Most businesses in the last couple decades have seen the value of spin-offs, breaking up supply chains to focus on core competencies.  Big businesses with a lot of cash acquire smaller companies to stifle competition, but it decreases the overall value-creation process.  In this case the acquisition is odd because it looks more like a startup acquiring two businesses that are entirely unrelated.  It's like Facebook in the early days trying to acquire an early-stage McDonalds and early-stage Exxon.  (I know, I know there is tech overlap, but I'm trying to make a point.)  Devs could have worked on multiple projects and had two sources of income.   The value of Vote, DNS and BitsharesX would be valued much more highly as separate companies than as a MonopolyDAC. 

I'm very excited about Vote & DNS, but I think they're much more valuable on their own.  Besides shouldn't a voting blockchain be separate from an asset exchange blockchain?  Why add confusion to different consumer demographics? 

The reason why I discuss this rather than let it get swept under the rug is we can always reverse actions.  If there's eventually a demand to spin-off Vote & DNS down the road I'll be in favor.   Bring the total shares back to 2 Billion and spinoff Vote & DNS with a % equity in DAC shares.  Total combined marketcap of all three would be much greater and each DAC would focus on core competencies. 

The funny thing with all this is the original thread was complaining about delegate pay when I think more BTS should be spent on delegate pay for everything, especially for faster and quality core development.  Imagine taking 100 million of the 500 million BTS used to acquire  Vote & DNS and using it to fund faster & better tech development.  The DAC delegate pay model was a core advantage over other ecosystems that struggle to make ends meet.   Why don't we use more delegate spots to double the salary of developers or get new developers to help?   Feeling like there is not enough funds for development is self-induced.  Heck we could have used all 500 million BTS we used to purchase Vote & DNS to fund Bitshares development over time instead.   That would have been better use of dilution.

Pretty sure all three of those guys were totally "pro" merger once they all went to the mumble chat and "all 23" came to a consensus of how great it "actually" was going to be.

I made a proposal to increase delegate pay here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,14379.msg187215.html#msg187215 but nobody remembers that or mentions that.

For the record I was never in that mumble chat nor did I really agree with the merger, but it all happened during a time I was on vacation travelling and as a result I was not very vocal, which I regret. I did try to speak out against the allocations, especially for DNS and VOTE which felt very unfair to me, but didn't get much traction.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline oldman

• View Profile

I started following BTS after the 'merger' but it was always a puzzle why it was necessary.  Building a conglomerate seemed contrary to the ethos of decentralization and also business competition.  The 'merger' was spun as the creation of a  'SuperDAC' and I understand putting everything in a positive light for marketing, but I think from a business perspective it would be good to reflect on the 'merger' to decide if it was worth it.  It was really just an acquisition of Vote & DNS for 20% of the company post-merger.   Was that a good decision? 

I don't think so.  We're a long away from the days of vertical integration and monopolization as Rockerfeller did with the oil industry  Most businesses in the last couple decades have seen the value of spin-offs, breaking up supply chains to focus on core competencies.  Big businesses with a lot of cash acquire smaller companies to stifle competition, but it decreases the overall value-creation process.  In this case the acquisition is odd because it looks more like a startup acquiring two businesses that are entirely unrelated.  It's like Facebook in the early days trying to acquire an early-stage McDonalds and early-stage Exxon.  (I know, I know there is tech overlap, but I'm trying to make a point.)  Devs could have worked on multiple projects and had two sources of income.   The value of Vote, DNS and BitsharesX would be valued much more highly as separate companies than as a MonopolyDAC. 

I'm very excited about Vote & DNS, but I think they're much more valuable on their own.  Besides shouldn't a voting blockchain be separate from an asset exchange blockchain?  Why add confusion to different consumer demographics? 

The reason why I discuss this rather than let it get swept under the rug is we can always reverse actions.  If there's eventually a demand to spin-off Vote & DNS down the road I'll be in favor.   Bring the total shares back to 2 Billion and spinoff Vote & DNS with a % equity in DAC shares.  Total combined marketcap of all three would be much greater and each DAC would focus on core competencies. 

The funny thing with all this is the original thread was complaining about delegate pay when I think more BTS should be spent on delegate pay for everything, especially for faster and quality core development.  Imagine taking 100 million of the 500 million BTS used to acquire  Vote & DNS and using it to fund faster & better tech development.  The DAC delegate pay model was a core advantage over other ecosystems that struggle to make ends meet.   Why don't we use more delegate spots to double the salary of developers or get new developers to help?   Feeling like there is not enough funds for development is self-induced.  Heck we could have used all 500 million BTS we used to purchase Vote & DNS to fund Bitshares development over time instead.   That would have been better use of dilution.

This ^ about says it all.

Am I the only one outside of the core devs that understands BTS, VOTE and DNS are the holy trinity?

Together these things form and incomprehensibly powerful tool that can change the course of human history.

Separate they are a passing novelty in a far flung and rarely visited corner of the internet.

The devs, particularly BM, are hunting much bigger game than most folks think.

Bitshares is not about bitAssets or banking...

Offline oldman

• View Profile
except for whatever has been recently pumped (right now its anonymity coins - Darkcoin/Dash and Monero), but the focus of the pumps changes. 

and we want to abandon TITAN(?)

Well, no one ever thought of Bitshares as an anonymity coin anyway, and the anonymity pump is already over. 
We needed to go away from titan to attract gateways / exchanges.

What Bitshares needs are optional user accounts linked to government id and verified by a DAC.

This would make KYC/AML trivial and open the fiat floodgates. I think the dev team already has this in their sights and the tech forms part of the VOTE platform.

What Bitshares also needs is completely anonymous, secure and untraceable accounts.

This would change the world:

Step 1: Fiat value migrates to BTS via kyc/aml compliant gateways.

Step 2. Fiat value stays in BTS (via bitAssets) and never leaves... when folks want something to hold in their hands cryptosmith and other services allows direct conversion to tangible assets (bitGold -> gold).

Step 3. Everyone suddenly realizes their wealth is sovereign unto themselves.

Step 4. Change the world.

Offline fuzzy

This ^ about says it all.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

except for whatever has been recently pumped (right now its anonymity coins - Darkcoin/Dash and Monero), but the focus of the pumps changes. 

Well, no one ever thought of Bitshares as an anonymity coin anyway, and the anonymity pump is already over. 

It is always possible to add that stuff on later if the need arises. And if it isn't added to bts, then it will likely be added on to a sharedropped competitor.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Pretty sure all three of those guys were totally "pro" merger once they all went to the mumble chat and "all 23" came to a consensus of how great it "actually" was going to be.

Yes, I was at the time.  I think the two key factos in us all making that mistake were:
1) Not realizing how much the chinese community was going to be opposed to it. 
2) Bytemaster essentially threatening to kill BTSX with Vote. 

That said, most altcoins have gotten destroyed over the same time period as well, except for whatever has been recently pumped (right now its anonymity coins - Darkcoin/Dash and Monero), but the focus of the pumps changes.  Even without the merger we would be way down from where we were, though it would probably be something like a 25M market cap not 14M.   
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

I made a proposal to increase delegate pay here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,14379.msg187215.html#msg187215 but nobody remembers that or mentions that.

You act newmine as though you are kept from joining up and being a part of the process. Mumble is available to everyone. Including you. Why don't you join up and become the 24th of our "elite group" of exclusive, largely underpaid boat-rowers. 
There is no reason you or anyone else can't be a part in our hangouts online and offline.  Instead you choose to come on here and show everyone your true character...behavior, not words, is the mark of a person's values, and value. 
It's easy to yell at the captain and call mutiny, when you refuse to take any level of responsibility yourself.

And for the record, I've never been for the merger...but I am not all knowing and I know we are all experimenting with what is best so I try to be an adult and recognize That many of these "problems" will naturally find resolution and we will over time gain insight into best practice and access to new tools. So I try to give constructive criticism and let others do the same as we walk together through this cuncharted territory.

So the best question at this point is: why are you part of this community when you obviously dislike bitshares. Or better yet, why aren't you looking to create a competitor?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:45:30 am by fuzzy »

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

The 'merger' wasn't so much a merger as it was a buyout for time bytemaster owed to other interest groups.  The merged technology or Super DAC is a byproduct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:17:15 pm by NewMine »

jaran

Heck we could have used all 500 million BTS we used to purchase Vote & DNS to fund Bitshares development over time instead.   That would have been better use of dilution.

Exactly.  Now we have this weird situation where we issued all of these shares then gave the majority of them to a few key stakeholders - the majority holders of PTS, DNS, and VOTE...So all those new shares did not help our situation and now we have to slowly issue more which is not enough to keep the devs happy.  So behind the scenes they are having to do other deals to keep people around.

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash

BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Didn't like this.. didn't iike that.. this was your mistake.. I told you so... Could'a Should'a Would'a Didn't... looking back you did this wrong.

Ok.. I covered everything for everyone just now.. so how about talking about what to do next?

What can YOU do next that will make BitShares Better?

Whether the points or valid or not.. where do we go from 'here'?

Personally I am working almost every day to make Bitshares better by improving the wallet or adding features to Bitsharesblocks.

I agree we need to look forward and contribute positively, but it's hard to figure out how to go forward if one does not know the past and analyzes what went wrong. That being said, harping on about old mistakes is not constructive either.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana. 

Although the words from NewMine are hash, they induce the community into self-reflection.  Recognising and facing up to past mistakes help us to make a better future.

No... this is just taking pot shots.. the remember the past statement is directed to looking at current events that relate and remembering past events that relate. All of the stuff being talked about in the past have nothing to do with the current state of affairs or offer any insight to avoid being 'condemned to repeat it'.

That's why I said.. what about 'now'.. because what is missing from the potshot gallery is a clear and balanced look at where things are today.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fuzzy

We don't see PLAY or MUSIC having their own version of bitUSD.  In fact, you see them using the BitShares version.

I haven't been following Play lately, but who says they, especially Music, aren't/won't be using their own version of BitUSD? The Music blockchain isn't ready yet, so how can you make that claim? Unless there is some huge news I somehow missed, I am sure Music will have its own version of BitUSD.

As far as play goes, they have already said they will not be making their own version of USD.  I speak with Hackfisher frequently enough and have already asked him this question in a Mumble hangout. 
As far as MUSIC, it is NDA (so honestly we do not know what their plan is).  Howeve Taulant is a signatory on that NDA and he is making MUSIC liquid on BitShares to help boot up liquidity on the platform and get NOTES trading now.  If these things are all the case, there is more reason to believe they are a benevolent ally to BitShares...at least in the short/medium term.   

Yeah that's great except they all need a stable foundation blockchain to build on and also all either need or greatly benefit from the BitAsset system as well. Bidding on domain names isn't that great when you have to account for the price volatility of your DNS token over the 30 day bid period, for example. Using BitUSD would be better. Music lovers would rather pay 99 cents for a song rather than 1500 NOTE today but then 1800 NOTE tomorrow, for example. Great so they can each have their own BitAssets except now they split liquidity across many chains making each of the BitAssets worse than they would be if they were all on the same chain.
It only matters what shows on the user interface.  Transactions can be made behind the scenes with something like MetaExchange (with expanded features) to give front-end service providers (like Peertracks and the many others that will pop up for separate DACs) the ability to quickly and cheaply change NOTES for bitUSD on purchase.  The user still sees "I am paying $.99/1302N for Track Number 1 on Snoopdawg's new record" and bitUSD ends up with more organic volume.  I see nothing going wrong on this personally, but am open to opinions.

Okay, so let's have them all use the same BitAsset as the one on the BitShares X chain. Well this is a technically tricky but doable with some trade-offs. I have discussed a way this could be done in the past and have since become a stronger and stronger advocate of this approach. But even then, it takes lots of coding and testing before such functionality would be available for use. So then core devs need to work on that. But that work is reusable on all other blockchains, so it would make the most sense for the BitShares X devs to work on that and then when it is done all the other chains can adopt that technology. And their chains aren't really 1.0 ready until that feature is ready. They can work on the other business logic of the chain in parallel though if they can get the funding to do so.
See above.  As said before, what happens on the back end and what happens on the front end are two different things. 
As far as reusability of code, I completely agree.
As for working on the business logic of another chain in parallel...this is actually my preferred way of doing it.  If the original Devs still have a Delegate in the BitShares ecosystem, that means they will be more likely to use their chain's resources to help all the baby bitshares chains at least get to a point where they can start competing on some level with each other (but that, in my mind, is still a little ways away).

So now you have BitShares X devs working on improving the foundations of the blockchain and BitAsset system. They are improving the performance, eliminating bugs, improving the market engine, and developing the new features needed to allow other chains to use BTSX's BitAssets. How long would this take and what resources would it require? Well we know at least how long it would take all of our core devs working on all but the last thing. That is because that is exactly what they are working on right now and they are still not done. It all took WAY longer than originally promised. That's what happens in software development. Also, it basically took all of the money I3 had raised (in fact, with all the price drops, how much longer do the core devs have before their year-end bonuses aren't enough to even pay them an unsustainably low wage for their services?) and some small additional money from delegate dilution pay.
If we had other DACs floating around...if they were even a million in marketcap they could hire people who are passionate about things like DNS and simply give them multiple delegates.  Early on, the person heading the project up could use the initial voting stake to pretty much guarantee a trusted group of developers over time.  As the system matures, they would shed their "masters" and become truly far more decentralized.  So they would be able to fund themselves.  What's more.  There might be devs who have no interest in helping with a decentralized exchange (and so our marketing efforts would be wasted on them), but who might have a great deal of passion for decentralized DNS to the point where getting delegate positions is just a bonus.  So resources shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Would there be enough money available to allow them to finish that task much less any extra to devote to OTHER devs working on VOTE and DNS functionality in parallel? Where would that money come from? Crowdfunding similar DPOS blockchain related projects would likely just be taking away buy pressure from BTSX, which would reduce the delegate dilution pay for the core devs working on the foundation of the blockchain. We are a small group and not growing fast enough. But to grow fast enough we need a compelling product to sell to others who haven't bought into the vision yet. That means going after the really high value services and providing those services in a very high quality way. A decentralized exchange on a very robust platform with a fast lightweight client that looks beautiful and is easy to use is what is required. This is part of the foundation that other DACs depend on. It makes no sense to waste limited resources (money and dev talent) on things that are not going to grow the token's value fast enough. We need the token value to grow because that is the source of revenue to pay for more devs who will then be able to work on many interesting different blockchain services and features in parallel.
I disagree it would likely be taking away that much buying pressure from bitshares.  If you look at most of these coins out there, it is not the coin, but the protocol that wins out.  We are in a stage where every single one of our "altcoins" can actually have unique value propositions.  No other protocol allows for that.  If we stop looking at the protocol as the foundation of all of this, I think we miss the big picture.  The market is already showing this with Counterparty spreading to different coins and I believe this is the market telling us we need to have many networks tying themselves together with the same common foundational protocols. 

So the way I see it, the economics of the situation would have forced DNS and VOTE to languish anyway until enough of the BitShares X foundation was built. What is worse is that they would have avoided paying for the cost of the foundation that they use since the dilution would have been for BTSX only and not of the other DACs' tokens. I think the BitShares ecosystem would have not looked very differently in terms of functionality available or user adoption at this point in time, and I would even say we would have most likely been worse off than we currently are.
It is also possible that we would be worse off than now.  However, I still seriously doubt it.  Just ask the marketing people here if it would be easier to sell BitShares if it had a solid and focused identity.  In turn the message would have been simpler to teach and people would have likely learned about bitshares far more easily.  That message spread by word of mouth would bring people interested in blockchain technology to us over time. 
And lets face it man...really.  What do we have now?  Toast working for another project and Adam still with Follow My Vote going on the side. 
No matter what we think, the decision seems made already. 

At this point, I think we just need to finish getting the core blockchain technology and the client software polished to get user adoption to increase and hopefully have the price of BTS increase, and then use those extra resources paid for through delegate dilution of the higher BTS price to build the functionality necessary to allow third-parties to concurrently build DApps and/or child DACs on the BitShares platform with minimal effort while using BTS's BitAssets and even leveraging the consensus/networking systems of the BTS blockchain (basically "Turing complete scripts" but done by allowing the validators or "child DAC delegates" to run arbitrary sandboxed executable code that implements the business logic of their DAC/DApp and uses the BTS blockchain and optionally their own nested blockchains, which are committed to the BTS parent blockchain, as the persistent data store for their DAC/DApp). Once this foundation is set, my hope is that we can have developer resources explode and see many third-parties concurrently working on new features like prediction markets, bond markets, voting, DNS, etc.
Well...now. If it worked out this way, that would be pretty nice.  I'll agree there.  Interesting thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:24:50 am by fuzzy »