Author Topic: Metaexchange - BTC/bitUSD or bitUSD/BTC?  (Read 1365 times)

Xeldal

Hi guys,

Metaexchange has always had the bitUSD and bitCNY markets 'flipped', such that the price listed is not a bitcoin price, but a USD or CNY price because people are used to reading it that way.

The problem is, this flipping also flips the order types, so a buy of bitUSD with BTC as shown on the site is actually a sell of BTC for bitUSD. However, I have a bug whereby I am not actually flipping the order type recorded in the transactions lists, so a buy on the site is a 'buy' order type and the recorded price is incorrect because of this.

I have two choices, change the recorded order type, which might well lead to more confusion and support requests (since buying on the site would then show a sell order), or remove the flipped markets so that prices are always listed in BTC, so you'd have 0.004 BTC instead of 250 USD shown on the front page.

What would you like to see?

I may not fully understand the issue but I would list the market as one that is common and makes sense, ie. BTC:USD and for this pair list both perspective rates USD/BTC and BTC/USD on both buy and sell sides.  For the recorded history it should match the orientation of the pair and how its listed. 

If you're using BTC:USD (you are currently) and order is a BUY, they are buying BTC and the history should list it as a buy.  I think you currently have it backwards.  As it reads buy and sell bitUSD instead of buy and sell BTC

I don't really understand what the bug is though, so that might not help with what your trying to do.

Offline kaibakker

I think all the flipping creates lotes of confusion. Why don't you rethink the whole, and remove the buying and selling. If I want to exchange btc to bitUSD, I want to see how much bitUSD i get for one BTC.
Now I have to find the right pair, not just by searching for btc but also for bitUSD because most people won't remember the order. And then I get a second question, do I want to buy or sell? I don't know, I just know that I want to exchange btc for bitUSD.

TD;LR: Stop thinking in flipping, buying and selling and start thinking in exchanging a to b!

Offline fuzzy

Hi guys,

Metaexchange has always had the bitUSD and bitCNY markets 'flipped', such that the price listed is not a bitcoin price, but a USD or CNY price because people are used to reading it that way.

The problem is, this flipping also flips the order types, so a buy of bitUSD with BTC as shown on the site is actually a sell of BTC for bitUSD. However, I have a bug whereby I am not actually flipping the order type recorded in the transactions lists, so a buy on the site is a 'buy' order type and the recorded price is incorrect because of this.

I have two choices, change the recorded order type, which might well lead to more confusion and support requests (since buying on the site would then show a sell order), or remove the flipped markets so that prices are always listed in BTC, so you'd have 0.004 BTC instead of 250 USD shown on the front page.

Sadly, not the easy way. 
Wish I could say otherwise though...but change USD to bitUSD?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline monsterer

Hi guys,

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads