Author Topic: Voting on Random topics  (Read 1522 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Public polling is going to be very valuable moving forward. Even if by the slight chance governments ban the blockchain in their elections, we still have the potential to use vote internally for bitshares...and even other companies.

Why would governments have to ban the blockchain for their elections, when its so much easier to just ignore it?

Offline fuzzy

That is where vote, I think, will bring the most value to bitshares.

Really?.. I thought the VOTE idea was more ambitious proof of person that can be used more widely in elections etc.
What I was suggesting I wonder is trivial option to tally votes on a topic by counting the balance on accounts at a timestamp... ah is it not so simple, if the blockchain can't be read for account balances? hmm.. perhaps an option in the forum more used will help encourage engagement but that's less about the stakeholder engagement.

Public polling is going to be very valuable moving forward. Even if by the slight chance governments ban the blockchain in their elections, we still have the potential to use vote internally for bitshares...and even other companies.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline davidpbrown

Really?.. I thought the VOTE idea was more ambitious proof of person that can be used more widely in elections etc.
What I was suggesting I wonder is trivial option to tally votes on a topic by counting the balance on accounts at a timestamp... ah is it not so simple, if the blockchain can't be read for account balances? hmm.. perhaps an option in the forum more used will help encourage engagement but that's less about the stakeholder engagement.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:04:01 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline fuzzy

I was at a talk last night by Srdja Popovic, who is an interesting activist and worth looking up. He was talking on how to do non-violent revolutions and one element of that is a clear decision making process.

CounterParty is currently using a simple option to broadcast messages on the blockchain to vote and elect its community director. See: https://blockscan.com/vote/XCPELECTION

I wonder that mixing the vote and burn to wall capabilities of BitShares, with a sum of balances at a given block, would enable a similar option to vote on random topics at will. If the cost of vote is seen to be trivial, perhaps that function would help engage users in voting for delegates too?

There were other aspects to Srdja's talk which related to leveraging change. If you want to change the world, leverage something small and make obvious that change is possible, then acknowledge that mainstream is always more moderate and open up to accommodate that, becoming more moderate overall. Also, pick your battles and know when to take stock and regroup. Success, he suggested, follows from compound of small successes and serious planning. Anyway, back on topic.. voting in BitShares I wonder could become more broad than just for delegates. Allow generic capabilities that others can make use of, rather than something fit for one purpose?

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline davidpbrown

I was at a talk last night by Srdja Popovic, who is an interesting activist and worth looking up. He was talking on how to do non-violent revolutions and one element of that is a clear decision making process.

CounterParty is currently using a simple option to broadcast messages on the blockchain to vote and elect its community director. See: https://blockscan.com/vote/XCPELECTION

I wonder that mixing the vote and burn to wall capabilities of BitShares, with a sum of balances at a given block, would enable a similar option to vote on random topics at will. If the cost of vote is seen to be trivial, perhaps that function would help engage users in voting for delegates too?

There were other aspects to Srdja's talk which related to leveraging change. If you want to change the world, leverage something small and make obvious that change is possible, then acknowledge that mainstream is always more moderate and open up to accommodate that, becoming more moderate overall. Also, pick your battles and know when to take stock and regroup. Success, he suggested, follows from compound of small successes and serious planning. Anyway, back on topic.. voting in BitShares I wonder could become more broad than just for delegates. Allow generic capabilities that others can make use of, rather than something fit for one purpose?
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc