Author Topic: Injecting some fun into bitshares - new markets  (Read 4150 times)

zerosum

I've been thinking about creating some fun, novel market pegged assets, and I'd like your feedback:

Brownian motion

This is a random walk, priced between 0 and 1 BTS. This would allow gamblers to use the bitshares wallet without modification to bet their BTS on random chance using the existing market mechanisms.

London temperature

Feed price tracks the temperature in London in real time, again priced in BTS (fahrenheit so we don't have less than 0 - could use kelvin, of course) . At first glance this seems absurd because it is largely predictable, but I think this could lead to some very interesting behaviours.

Bitcoin hash rate

Feed price tracks the bitcoin hash rate

Games100 index

Tracks computer game sales for the top 100 computer games

Film100 index

Tracks film sales for the top 100 grossing films

The last couple might be hard to get decent data from, but the first lot should be a breeze. I'd love to hear what you think about this?

Cheers, Paul.

Those are all good ideas. I also appreciate all you have done so far with metaexchange.

That being said, I think you are falling for a trap way too common for the whole Bitshares project - before finishing one thing, we jump on the next even greater idea.

What I mean is currently there is virtually no way for someone to use metaexchange for the BTC -> bitBTC pair. The amount offered is up to "Maximum 0.00439283 BTC per transaction", which is simply laughable.
I believe you should seek ideas how to improve that (Using some delegate pay? or shorting to yourself if you have the funds? or better hedging your BTC/bitBTC positions in general) but just leaving the volume at that level is unacceptable, imo. 

Just my 0.02 BTS

just sell us bitBTC so we have some!

maybe you already know, but for a couple of weeks you couldn't short on the internal markets, so we are not able to buy bitBTC.

Seriously???

I might be notorious for having a big mouth, but none will blame me for speaking nonsense (and provide proof of such behavior).

Actually what drives me the most crazy is BS talk like the one above. Arrogant, nonsense, fools talk as I call it.

Where should I start?
 - It is not my business to provide you with liquidity
         but I for sure will do it if this is your only problem!
 - I am not (supposedly) running a bridge service like you and leaving the main trading pair with no liquidity.
         but if you want me I will explain in great detail how to hedge the  BTC:bitBTC pair (laughable hedge, I get the irony); that will be of course insuring much bigger volume so you can collect the 2.8% fee on that.
 - Yes, I am aware of the market engine bug that stopped the trading in several markets. (I will not comment on the inaccuracy of 'for couple of weeks')
         but I am also aware of the exact time I single handedly resolved the glitch in that particular market....( and no, I did not do it to gain anything from it)... which leads me to ask - why  did you not do it yourself? You being the 100% paid delegate and a bridge providing that pair? Do you do something just because it is good for the BTS ecosystem if it does not benefit you directly?
      So I have clear knowledge that for more than a day after the issues was resolved, you have done nothing to provide liquidity to bitBTC/BTC pair for you bridge.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I've been thinking about creating some fun, novel market pegged assets, and I'd like your feedback:

Brownian motion

This is a random walk, priced between 0 and 1 BTS. This would allow gamblers to use the bitshares wallet without modification to bet their BTS on random chance using the existing market mechanisms.

London temperature

Feed price tracks the temperature in London in real time, again priced in BTS (fahrenheit so we don't have less than 0 - could use kelvin, of course) . At first glance this seems absurd because it is largely predictable, but I think this could lead to some very interesting behaviours.

Bitcoin hash rate

Games100 index

Film100 index

The last couple might be hard to get decent data from, but the first lot should be a breeze. I'd love to hear what you think about this?

Cheers, Paul.

Those are all good ideas. I also appreciate all you have done so far with metaexchange.

That being said, I think you are falling for a trap way too common for the whole Bitshares project - before finishing one thing, we jump on the next even greater idea.

What I mean is currently there is virtually no way for someone to use metaexchange for the BTC -> bitBTC pair. The amount offered is up to "Maximum 0.00439283 BTC per transaction", which is simply laughable.
I believe you should seek ideas how to improve that (Using some delegate pay? or shorting to yourself if you have the funds? or better hedging your BTC/bitBTC positions in general) but just leaving the volume at that level is unacceptable, imo. 

Just my 0.02 BTS

just sell us bitBTC so we have some!

maybe you already know, but for a couple of weeks you couldn't short on the internal markets, so we are not able to buy bitBTC.

Offline monsterer

Just my 0.02 BTS

Metaexchange is my number 1 priority and it is under constant development - for example right now I am prototyping a market type with limit orders using the same anonymous order placement system, which would be the first of its kind, afaik.

I will look into what's happen with bitBTC as well.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

zerosum

Brownian motion

London temperature

Bitcoin hash rate

Games100 index

Film100 index

Cheers, Paul.

Just my 0.02 BTS

Offline monsterer

I don't know what scraped means. I'm guessing it means data needs to be cleaned?  I suppose these won't fit the bill?

https://www.quandl.com/data/TSE/1548-Listed-Index-Fund-China-H-share-hang-Seng-China-Enterprises-1548

https://www.quandl.com/resources/api-for-stock-data

https://www.quandl.com/data/NIKKEI/INDEX-Nikkei-Index

Scraped means extracted from a website, instead of being pulled via an API. What you've listed there is updated once per day - we need real time.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Not really excited about the list here.  How about the Heng Seng index to bring in the Chinese investors?  This may be out of bounds of SEC regulations

I challenge you to find a free, real time feed for any financial index which doesn't need to be scraped.

I don't know what scraped means. I'm guessing it means data needs to be cleaned?  I suppose these won't fit the bill?

https://www.quandl.com/data/TSE/1548-Listed-Index-Fund-China-H-share-hang-Seng-China-Enterprises-1548

https://www.quandl.com/resources/api-for-stock-data

https://www.quandl.com/data/NIKKEI/INDEX-Nikkei-Index
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:40:58 pm by Bitcoinfan »

Offline monsterer

Not really excited about the list here.  How about the Heng Seng index to bring in the Chinese investors?  This may be out of bounds of SEC regulations

I challenge you to find a free, real time feed for any financial index which doesn't need to be scraped.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile

Would be great, but who wants to pay 500k BTS to register HSI? (Same goes for any stock/index btw, I'm not picking on Heng Seng)

Let's crowd fund it.  Its roughly $2200 at todays prices.  If everyone puts in a 3 bucks, we can do it with 750 members.  You can set this up on your site.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:44:49 pm by Bitcoinfan »

Offline svk

Would be great, but who wants to pay 500k BTS to register HSI? (Same goes for any stock/index btw, I'm not picking on Heng Seng)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
anything that gets us media coverage is great, and any newsoutlet that targets a relevant demographic even better  +5%

bitreserve did this in a very clever way,

https://www.google.no/search?q=bitreserve+graph&rlz=1C1MSIM_enNO584NO584&oq=bitreserve+graph&aqs=chrome..69i57.2448j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=bitreserve+tool
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:44:39 am by CLains »

Offline monsterer

I like the film index and it is doable.

I spent a couple years of my free time digging deeply into motion picture industry numbers, and industry data (often questionable) usually comes from only a few reputable sources.  Box office opening weekend is a key metric for the industry as it can make or break new talent in the industry.  Can Bitshares handle discrete event prediction markets?  Huge opportunities for sporting events.

Not currently, which is why I was thinking of an index, because it is continuous. Being able to invest in 'films' or 'games' in general is novel (I think) and might be quite attractive to non crypto people.

Offline jcrubino

• View Profile
I like the film index and it is doable.

I spent a couple years of my free time digging deeply into motion picture industry numbers, and industry data (often questionable) usually comes from only a few reputable sources.  Box office opening weekend is a key metric for the industry as it can make or break new talent in the industry.  Can Bitshares handle discrete event prediction markets?  Huge opportunities for sporting events.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Look how much fun these guys are having:

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/56/Contents/2015-Celebrity-Death-Pool-Game-Thread-34083066

Not sure if that would fit into the current price feed mechanism, maybe when prediction markets are working :P

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
London temperature -> who will measure it? It will depend on an external source.
By nature all feed prices depend on external sources - I don't see any problem?
IOT +5%
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline monsterer

For Brownian motion we need decent random number(s).

Not in my estimation. Each feed provider uses the same algorithm which generates a slightly different Brownian motion (but not wildly different). The feed price is actually an average anyway, so any attacker would need to predict the next random number from each feed provider in order to predict the next feed price. Even if they were able to do this, it doesn't matter so much anyway, because an attacker would need to predict future feed prices in order to make a profit, not just the current one, since they must then trade on the market.

London temperature -> who will measure it? It will depend on an external source.

By nature all feed prices depend on external sources - I don't see any problem?

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
 +5%

Temperature Asset can be joined IOT.
I think @kenCode will love.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:52:34 am by ebit »
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
 +5%

I'm missing some esports stuff. Like Challenger ELO grossing (League of Legends) - something an outsider would find interesting to check/buy

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
I'm Ignoring the fact that these suggestions use the BTS blockchain in a completely different way than it was designed.
I like the idea for BTC hash rate. It might be fun to play with such an asset.
Bitcoin hash rate is verifiable and hard to manipulate.
For Brownian motion we need decent random number(s).
For the rest:
Game sales and Film grossing data rely on an external source.

Offline monsterer

Brownian motion

London temperature

Bitcoin hash rate

Games100 index

Film100 index

Cheers, Paul.