Author Topic: gemspace -- SEC compliant platform  (Read 21061 times)

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
if you or Alec Hahn could send a mail from bitcoin42's domain or if it checks you hold the number +52 664 235 777 3 (presented on bitcoin42's site) people would calm down and believe you  :) at least you would have some kind of proof here, it could ease some minds

this  +5%

We both had a skype with Cryptoprometheus last week that resulted in the nullstreet journal article.  In that interview we went to great lengths to explain who we are, what we are doing and we even demo'd one of the ATMs.

Alec verified the bitcoin42 domain with Favedesu too.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
if you or Alec Hahn could send a mail from bitcoin42's domain or if it checks you hold the number +52 664 235 777 3 (presented on bitcoin42's site) people would calm down and believe you  :) at least you would have some kind of proof here, it could ease some minds

this  +5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

was about to ask the same.

I'll verify you - askfav -at- gmail.com

Plus I'd like to know more about open positions and how you want to fill them.

bitcoin42 sent an email confirming their identity.

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
Dear Bitsharestalk members,

Before this thread turn into a witch hunting flame throwing dragon spamming ulgstamonsta, let me chip in some words here to backup the stuff "tsaishen" is slapping around your heads the past days.

My name is Alec Hahn, CEO and founder of Bitcoin42 (www.bitcoin42.com) and the freshly titled CEO of Gemspace. Please everybody understand that this is indeed a very ambitious project, and we are working very hard to be first hitters. The email communication issue was indeed a bit dumb, since a email forwarder was not set correctly to get notified about the domain registration information update.

I will soon make a more elaborated post. So please practice some patience and enjoy the ride in the meanwhile.

Best regards,
Alec

Hello Alec, I would suggest you give an emergency interview through Mumble. Fuzzy can help you introduce yourself to the community in a professional manner and give you an opportunity to expose your company and answer questions.

If you're not ready to do this then please don't be surprised by skepticism. Many people in the Bitcoin community have been burned by scams in the past.

If the Bitshares community determines Gemspace are legit then your company will receive a lot of support.

I don't think any of us are surprised by skepticism at this point.  It's more a matter of scheduling/timing the next time we all have a few minutes to reflect is Tuesday, and possibly some time on Wednesday.  After that point we all have our weeks pretty well determined.  Fuzzy asked for Friday but I don't think that's a day where any of us have time.

Not sure about the community at large, but we've already been talking with Bytemaster and Stan about various things including signed and returned NDAs.

Offline bitcoin42

Before this thread turn into a witch hunting flame throwing dragon spamming ulgstamonsta, let me chip in some words here to backup the stuff "tsaishen" is slapping around your heads the past days.

My name is Alec Hahn, CEO and founder of Bitcoin42 (www.bitcoin42.com) and the freshly titled CEO of Gemspace. Please everybody understand that this is indeed a very ambitious project, and we are working very hard to be first hitters. The email communication issue was indeed a bit dumb, since a email forwarder was not set correctly to get notified about the domain registration information update.

I will soon make a more elaborated post. So please practice some patience and enjoy the ride in the meanwhile.

Best regards,
Alec

Hello Alec, I would suggest you give an emergency interview through Mumble. Fuzzy can help you introduce yourself to the community in a professional manner and give you an opportunity to expose your company and answer questions.

If you're not ready to do this then please don't be surprised by skepticism. Many people in the Bitcoin community have been burned by scams in the past.

If the Bitshares community determines Gemspace are legit then your company will receive a lot of support.

Hi luckybit,

We have talked with Fuzzy in PM, and I think Tuesday should be doable for that chat. Friday is a nice idea too, since Bytemaster can chip in, but as I said, I m traveling that day and will likely not be available.
Stay tuned.

(EDIT: Addressing the wrong person... haha. Gets confusing with so many people using avatars). Btw, someone (favdesu)  ask what positions are open. We need somebody to take care of community work, since this can get quite absorbing. There are more positions of course. You'll find that on the website soon.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:31:32 am by bitcoin42 »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

was about to ask the same.

I'll verify you - askfav -at- gmail.com

Plus I'd like to know more about open positions and how you want to fill them.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

Best regards,
Alec

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:25:38 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
I think this sounds awesome..  +5%

These are some of my qustions:

• You say compliance with Canada.. however, the securities compliance for crowdfunds in Canada are provincial and not federal.. will that be the level of compliance you will accomplish?
  • You say maw paw shops.. that suggests to me you are going to need boots on the ground so to speak to act as gateways/hand holders to these businesses that otherwise know nothing about this opportunity to crowdfund. does the business model incorporate regional partners?
  • You mention seeking out existing ATM operators.. I have a friend in my area that owns many in this area and manages them from top to bottom. What would be the advantage to him to incorporate this into his existing ATMs..can he?
  • I have tens of thousands of sq/ft of space in the bunker that would be ideal for assembly and/or distribution... need a Canadian distributor? Guaranteed to keep inventory safe under all conditions!  ;D
Looking forward to your reply!

I apologize, this is why I don't belong as the public voice of this.   According to the new guidance, US & Canadian companies can participate in JOBS act funding in accordance with US law.  Furthermore, parties from outside the US & Canada can participate by contributing capital, i.e. investing but cannot request capital e.g. make an offering.  In the USA, state law was completely pre-empted by the SEC in this regard.  It's possible some states such as AZ will likely sue to block the SEC.   If that occurs it would be a direct threat to our business model. 

Canadian companies are welcome to participate, but I expect that local laws there would not be superseded by SEC rules.  I recommend everyone with questions about legal applicability to their own situation consult this... http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/2015/33-9741.pdf  In short if I were a Canadian company seeking funding from the USA, I would definitely speak to my lawyer first.

As to number 2, we need boots on the ground everywhere, but we are waiting to put those boots on the ground until we have the shape of things hammered out.  I personally think we need to look at adding a marketing director as soon as possible.  If anyone is interested including newmine & tonyk2, the application form involves PMing me or Alec and introducing yourself at this point.

#3, incorporating into existing ATMs.  The help is totally welcome.  Alec struck a deal recently for expansion in Mexico that should add several units.  I'm doing my part to make sure those units integrate correctly.  We're also working on a deal for exposure in the USA at the moment.  Canada would be a good market into as well. 

Right my focus is on adapting existing Bitcoin ATMs to add Bitshares functionality to them.  If there were enough similar units from other manufacturers, I might push up the schedule.  I would do this if I could ascertain that there was someone with a sincere interest in the selling of bitshares through them. 

Odd you mention it though.  At the moment I'm fixing an ATM.  Specifically the thing on my desk in testing right now is a Skyhook, primarily because the software is already open source and I know a guy.  I've talked with other MFRs and have SDK access to about 3 different makes.  So it's more a matter of time than anything. 

As for the opportunity for the ATM owner/operator.  It's the opportunity to add a new revenue stream to your ATM business.  You set your margins and buy/sell coins directly.  We're working on a plan to reduce the bagholder risk while providing immediately liquidity too, but that plan needs a lot of work before it's worth discussing.  So can he participate?  Depends on the make and model right now.  If it's a skyhook I could use help in testing.  If it's not Skyhook, then PM me and we can talk.  SDK availability is the biggest hold up not really technical challenges.  A couple of MFRs are already in exclusive agreements with other crypto-companies, so my plan there is to work with those guys.

#4 Despite the fact I'm coding ATM software right this moment, I'm not in the ATM business.  I do know that there is a distributor opportunity from the MFR we are working most closely with.  So if you want to PM me your contact details I'll have them get a hold of you ASAP.

As far as us going into a bunker, it sounds like fun.  Probably going to need flame proof suits by the time this thread concludes ;)

I think I addressed everything, now if you'll excuse me the build tree on the replacement skyhook firmware just caught fire and I need to go see what's failing.  I'll check back in a few hours.

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
Something tells me this is an alt-account created by someone who has been here awhile and they are attempting to pray on the desperate with the thoughts and dreams of success when BTS is at an all-time low in price and morale. It also seem that there are a few people blindly backing and accepting this guy despite the flags. This makes them either stupid, gullible, blind, or part of the scam. No offense of course.

Your advice is timely and should be well heeded. It is better to be careful then to regret later. 

The OP should answer the questions raised by NewMine.

Sorry what questions?  I read his post and I saw accusations that I felt really baseless.  Never saw a single question, very few facts and just a lot of assertions.
Perhaps if he has a question he could post his question, like everyone else did.

Also nothing to regret, no one is asking for anything, not even credibility or permission. 
We'll do as we like on our own schedule and structure our business according to our own needs. 

I started this to explain who we are, what we are doing and how we plan to do it and what we've done so far.
It's a convenience to the community so they aren't caught off guard.  I wish people would quit acting like we're trying to run a scam here, there's no scam. A scam would involve asking for something and I don't recall asking for anything but patience.

Despite the fact it's in the DAC section, we aren't a DAC and aren't seeking anything at all from the community.
Your expertise would be helpful as individuals and there are open positions that need to be filled.  Filling those from within the community would be ideal, but it's still up to members to choose whether or not they are interested in having the employment.

It's in the DAC thread because there literally doesn't appear to be any place on this forum for anyone who wants to build a business around bitshares to announce themselves.  If I'm wrong please point me in the proper direction or just move the thread to where it belongs.

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
Thanks. Just one more question. Are entrepreneurs supposed to create their IPO shares in short-name assets (3 to 5 character), which require 500k BTS? Or do they have an option to choose long company acronym, say 6 to 8 character?

This is one of those areas that is still up in the air. 

The current plan involves gemspace handling the creation and registration of the asset name on their behalf as soon as they receive a filing ID back from the SEC.  I can see this quickly becoming cost prohibitive though, especially if the price of BTS climbs. I mean really, what happens here if/when BTS reaches dollar parity? 

What will likely happen is that we will give them a longer ID for bitshares purposes, and then adapt a plugin/filter that performs an on the fly rename for the asset.  This happens all the time on the bigger exchanges.  You might see AAPL, but you're really trading AAPL:US on the NASDAQ or something that looks an awful lot like US0024812085 on other exchanges ("note, that is the ISIN for a completely different company, but it's given as an example").  Back in the day, we dealt with things that looked like US0024812085.1.10.002 which would denote a company, an asset class a batch number and lot.  Trading systems can get really specific.

Again something being discussed, but the point is to keep the process affordable. 
You shouldn't have to mortgage your house just to seek crowdfunding.

Good questions guys, please keep them coming.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think this sounds awesome..  +5%

These are some of my qustions:

• You say compliance with Canada.. however, the securities compliance for crowdfunds in Canada are provincial and not federal.. will that be the level of compliance you will accomplish?
  • You say maw paw shops.. that suggests to me you are going to need boots on the ground so to speak to act as gateways/hand holders to these businesses that otherwise know nothing about this opportunity to crowdfund. does the business model incorporate regional partners?
  • You mention seeking out existing ATM operators.. I have a friend in my area that owns many in this area and manages them from top to bottom. What would be the advantage to him to incorporate this into his existing ATMs..can he?
  • I have tens of thousands of sq/ft of space in the bunker that would be ideal for assembly and/or distribution... need a Canadian distributor? Guaranteed to keep inventory safe under all conditions!  ;D
Looking forward to your reply!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Something tells me this is an alt-account created by someone who has been here awhile and they are attempting to pray on the desperate with the thoughts and dreams of success when BTS is at an all-time low in price and morale. It also seem that there are a few people blindly backing and accepting this guy despite the flags. This makes them either stupid, gullible, blind, or part of the scam. No offense of course.

Your advice is timely and should be well heeded. It is better to be careful then to regret later. 

The OP should answer the questions raised by NewMine.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Thanks. Just one more question. Are entrepreneurs supposed to create their IPO shares in short-name assets (3 to 5 character), which require 500k BTS? Or do they have an option to choose long company acronym, say 6 to 8 character?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
Alec or tsaishen, can you elaborate how Gemspace has to do with BTS demand?

PS. Oh I'm really confused with Gemspace and Moonstone, calling Gemspace as Gemstone, and Moonstone as Moonspace.  :P

Good question.

Firstly there is the simple exposure.  We are not targeting you guys (nothing personal and you are free to participate if you want to), the plan is to bring in mom & pop small business, offer them the chance to take advantage of the capital markets and make the experience as seamless and easy to use as possible.  However they are going to have questions about this BTS stuff and that will have an effect on price.

Secondly is actual demand.  To issue a security itself takes BTS and quite a lot.  That is a demand channel because it eats into supply directly.
Furthermore when people buy the security they will be doing so in BTS and we are going to recommend that companies hold their BTS as bitUSD.  We are also going to try and encourage them to do business with eachother directly in bitUSD rather than cashing out to fiat. 

Imagine the effect if someone wanted to absorb and hold $1M USD in BTS through either BTS directly or via a bitAsset such as bitUSD.  The expectation is that this serves as a liquidity mop.  It drives demand directly by increasing the use cases.

Third is demand through the ATM network itself.  Some people will be interested in BTS and bitAssets and will acquire those directly for cash via the ATMs.  Your average bitcoin ATM sees about $3k per month in traffic.  However they aren't really in the highest traffic locations.  By placing them in higher traffic locations and also teaming up with other ATM owners, the exposure increases and thus demand should as a side effect of exposure.

I hope that's clear enough.