Author Topic: A Toast to Toast  (Read 9368 times)

Offline yiminh

• View Profile
Toast has been a great member of our team but has always been a free agent and not an employee.   He came to BTS to produce the DNS chain but that has been absorbed by BTS.

He is currently serving as a liaison to BTS Music team which was progressing largely without technical support from the core team until Toast went over to help.   I recently talked with Toast about the future for BTS Music and am gathering the requirements that they would need to launch on the BTS chain rather than their own chain.   

To my knowledge Toast is actually bringing new money into the BTS ecosystem and is still a believer in our future.   I applaud Toast for finding a way to pay his bills while still contributing to our ecosystem full time without having to sell all of his BTS.   

Toast is sending any BTS his delegates earn to the angel account and we are using those funds to keep the other developers fed. 

To Clarify:  Music is still planning their own chain and that hasn't changed.  I am merely attempting to find out what it would take to CHANGE that while still providing a win for NOTE holders.   It is possible that nothing could change that.  COB and Eddie have done said nothing and my position has long been a desire to bring them into BTS.

Toast made a good choice, Bitshare is dead, long live Notes/Music!

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

At this point I WOULD like to sell note on the Bitshares blockchain.
What's stopping you?  NOTES are in the internal market.

Sorry I worded that wrong.

Hopefully Note will stay on the Bitshares blockchain and not create its own chain.

Agree - better for both parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Sorry I worded that wrong.

Hopefully Note will stay on the Bitshares blockchain and not create its own chain.

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation on NOTES.  I had read the info before but it never really clicked for some reason. Sounds like an incredible project.

The reason why it is not perceived as hostile is because they allocated 70% of their stake to people who held AGS, PTS and BTS, and 20% went to a crowd-sale where anyone could participate. In essence they raised money for a new project, and still gave "us" most of the stake in that new project, which makes most of us more than happy to support them. The main reason why some would want a merger is because it would be ideal with more liquidity in the BTS system ASAP. So the pro/con mainly becomes a technical/marketing consideration rather than a question of ownership.

Spot on.

At this point I WOULD like to trade notes  on the Bitshares blockchain and keep trading them.
-No need for IOU usd, BitUSD could be used
-Bitshares blockchain has been worked over for some time now and held up just fine(mostly). I am not technical but it seems easier to maintain 1 chain instead of 2
-This allows Toast or whom ever to work on Note but still benefits Bitshares directly because they are traded within the same client on the same chain
-I don't believe it would change marketing for Note of Bitshares. In fact I think it gives added functionality to both products, which in turn gives a user more reasons to give us a try and perhaps stick around. Come for trading features on a Decentralized market and stay to get a piece of your favorite artist.     
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:31:04 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline fuzzy

Not to be stupid here, but what exactly the heck is notes and why is it not part of the blockchain?  I'm trying to grok the ecosystem a bit better here.
What would be their reason for running a blockchain fork which to my mind would be a hostile action.

I find it strange that you are involved in developing a major BTS integrated solution and don't know what notes are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They might be really busy in the background and might not really care to do much digging on the forums.  Maybe the tech itself was enough to get them interested without ever caring who the players were.  However...maybe not. 

We are in talks about scheduling a hangout but I want to get at least 5 days advance notice so I can tell everyone when it is...because it doesn't seem to me like Fridays are going to work for them.  Hopefully we can help clear some stuff up there. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline d3adh3ad

• View Profile

Not to be stupid here, but what exactly the heck is notes and why is it not part of the blockchain?  I'm trying to grok the ecosystem a bit better here.
What would be their reason for running a blockchain fork which to my mind would be a hostile action.

I find it strange that you are involved in developing a major BTS integrated solution and don't know what notes are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation on NOTES.  I had read the info before but it never really clicked for some reason. Sounds like an incredible project.

The reason why it is not perceived as hostile is because they allocated 70% of their stake to people who held AGS, PTS and BTS, and 20% went to a crowd-sale where anyone could participate. In essence they raised money for a new project, and still gave "us" most of the stake in that new project, which makes most of us more than happy to support them. The main reason why some would want a merger is because it would be ideal with more liquidity in the BTS system ASAP. So the pro/con mainly becomes a technical/marketing consideration rather than a question of ownership.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I hate to be a spoiler but we have increased the Bitshares supply to acquire DNS and Vote. Everyone was screaming about dilution and then BTS started its downfall. I for once was in favor of the increased supply of BTS and thought that acquiring DNS and Vote would be hugely beneficial for BTS. DNS is very important. Toast who supposed to create Bitshares DNS now works for Music...It reminds me the days that Brian Page, our super marketing director left Bitshares just after our short lived pump.

I really like Toast and he has been always very helpful so I am happy for his decisions in working with Music so I wish him all the best. I just hope I don't see anyone else leaving any time soon and projects to remain unfinished..

Proof that the merger was a bad idea. But hey I wasn't in favor of dilution either if you check my posts.

I tried to be optimistic about it because long term maybe it was right to do the dilution but the merger? I don't think we gained anything from it. Bitshares isn't dramatically better.

No more mergers. It's not a good idea to merge prior to the other DACs having proven themselves to have a community worth merging with.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I hate to be a spoiler but we have increased the Bitshares supply to acquire DNS and Vote. Everyone was screaming about dilution and then BTS started its downfall. I for once was in favor of the increased supply of BTS and thought that acquiring DNS and Vote would be hugely beneficial for BTS. DNS is very important. Toast who supposed to create Bitshares DNS now works for Music...It reminds me the days that Brian Page, our super marketing director left Bitshares just after our short lived pump.

I really like Toast and he has been always very helpful so I am happy for his decisions in working with Music so I wish him all the best. I just hope I don't see anyone else leaving any time soon and projects to remain unfinished..

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile
Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation on NOTES.  I had read the info before but it never really clicked for some reason.
Sounds like an incredible project.

As for Toast, I saw some of his posts, and he seemed like a good guy.  Sad to see good people leave.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
You can find that information here: http://whatarenotes.info/

Under "NOTES VALUE":

One of the differences between the current BitShares blockchain and the upcoming BitShares Music blockchain is that the BitAsset market engine will be removed. BitShares Music will serve as a distributed, on blockchain, market for all UIAs. This includes both artist tokens and USD pegged IOUs created and issued out by gateways that protect all users and artists from volatility.

Gateways provide the on and off ramp to/from fiat_USD to crypto_USD.

Those that fear counterparty risk from the gateways (you must trust the gateways to redeem the IOU_USD for a real USD) can move their funds into BitAssets, like BitUSD, BitCNY or even BitGOLD, on the BitShares blockchain since BitAssets are free from counterparty risk.

Under "UPCOMING WALLET":

Moonstone.io will be integrated seamlessly within PeerTracks from day one. Moonstone allows for low trust crypto-to-crypto exchange between multiple different blockchains. This will provide much needed initial liquidity for BitShares Music. Initial crypto pairs available on Moonstone include:

Bitcoin
    BitShares (Including all UIA and BitAssets like BitUSD and BitCNY)
    BitShares Music (including all artist tokens and gateway IOUs)
    BitShares Play

Moonstone provides a simple exchange interface for both markets within the corresponding blockchains and in between blockchains.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I can understand Moonstone providing some ACCT functionality for trading between assets of different blockchains. But I was surprised to learn that BitUSD on the Music blockchain has essentially been replaced by IOU_USD (I guess I missed that change). But I think the claim that those who want to be free from counterparty risk should just hold BitAssets on the BitShares blockchain is a little misleading. I don't think you will be able to use the BitUSD on the BitShares blockchain to buy music directly. You would need to do a two-step process. First do ACCT of the BitUSD with the IOU_USD and then use the IOU_USD to buy the music on the Music blockchain. This is because I imagine the blockchain mechanisms (having some percentage of purchasing funds go towards to the artist and some to NOTE holders) require that the purchase operation be done on the Music blockchain with tokens that exist on the blockchain (which BitUSD does not).

Also, although apparently Moonstone will allow you to do ACCT of BitUSD on the BitShares blockchain with artist tokens on the Music blockchain (therefore only needing one step, not two, if your goal is simply to get the artist tokens), it is still not the same as trading on a DEX. A DEX allows you to place your orders without the couterparty of the trade known a priori and just wait until it is automatically matched and filled by the blockchain with no further effort necessary from you. ACCT don't quite have those nice properties. My guess is that Moonstone will not try to use ACCT between two different parties but will rather act as the sole liquidity provider for Moonstone client users that want to (conveniently) trade between assets of the blockchains listed above. So you may not necessary get the best deal available, but that is the cost the user must pay for convenience.

The other thing I am wondering is whether Peertracks actually expects to have a fiat gateway available by the time they launch? Are they going to go through all that regulatory process to provide the USD gateway? And what about initially providing a multisig BitUSD gateway (since that doesn't have regulatory issues) if getting the fiat gateway online ends up adding too many delays to the initial release?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:52:47 am by arhag »

Offline robrigo

Basically, a new DAC is launching to focus on entertainment startups that want to leverage the functionality of BitShares. This DAC won't have market pegged assets and will function autonomously from BitShares. Multi-currency wallets such as moonstone will act as the bridge between multiple chains, so one can still trade between artistcoins issued on the Entertainment DAC and bitUSD issued on BitShares.

Citation needed.

not sure on the minute mark...
https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/beyond-bitcoin-music-dev-hangout-03-27-2015-s3

Thanks. I listened to this hangout before and don't remember the bolded conclusions above. I will listen to it again.

Although, I would appreciate it if bitsapphire could just confirm whether it is true or not and save me time.

Edit: I only skimmed through it (it would be so nice if there were transcripts), but I am pretty sure those claims were not made in that hangout.

You can find that information here: http://whatarenotes.info/

Under "NOTES VALUE":

One of the differences between the current BitShares blockchain and the upcoming BitShares Music blockchain is that the BitAsset market engine will be removed. BitShares Music will serve as a distributed, on blockchain, market for all UIAs. This includes both artist tokens and USD pegged IOUs created and issued out by gateways that protect all users and artists from volatility.

Gateways provide the on and off ramp to/from fiat_USD to crypto_USD.

Those that fear counterparty risk from the gateways (you must trust the gateways to redeem the IOU_USD for a real USD) can move their funds into BitAssets, like BitUSD, BitCNY or even BitGOLD, on the BitShares blockchain since BitAssets are free from counterparty risk.

Under "UPCOMING WALLET":

Moonstone.io will be integrated seamlessly within PeerTracks from day one. Moonstone allows for low trust crypto-to-crypto exchange between multiple different blockchains. This will provide much needed initial liquidity for BitShares Music. Initial crypto pairs available on Moonstone include:

Bitcoin
    BitShares (Including all UIA and BitAssets like BitUSD and BitCNY)
    BitShares Music (including all artist tokens and gateway IOUs)
    BitShares Play

Moonstone provides a simple exchange interface for both markets within the corresponding blockchains and in between blockchains.

Hope that helps.

Offline daidai

• View Profile
@bytemaster. BM,please don't touch bitshares music,we don't allow you to do so.
you've hurt DNS\VOTE helders!we don't want to be hurt by you anymore.

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile
Basically, a new DAC is launching to focus on entertainment startups that want to leverage the functionality of BitShares. This DAC won't have market pegged assets and will function autonomously from BitShares. Multi-currency wallets such as moonstone will act as the bridge between multiple chains, so one can still trade between artistcoins issued on the Entertainment DAC and bitUSD issued on BitShares.

Citation needed.

https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/beyond-bitcoin-music-dev-hangout-03-27-2015-s3

Thanks. I listened to this hangout before and don't remember the bolded conclusions above. I will listen to it again.

Although, I would appreciate it if bitsapphire could just confirm whether it is true or not and save me time.

Edit: I only skimmed through it (it would be so nice if there were transcripts), but I am pretty sure those claims were not made in that hangout.

It might actually be in the Taulant / Max Wright interview....
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
To Clarify:  Music is still planning their own chain and that hasn't changed.  I am merely attempting to find out what it would take to CHANGE that while still providing a win for NOTE holders.   It is possible that nothing could change that.  COB and Eddie have done said nothing and my position has long been a desire to bring them into BTS.
how about peertrack.com , does it belong to note holder ,i think it would belong to note holder ,
I think the value of note is out of chain ,
peertrack.com is a company ? note is the stake of this company? and the stake is exchanged in bts system , is it right?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:30:23 am by BTSdac »
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem

Citation needed.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:06:06 am by arhag »

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile

Citation needed.

"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem

Citation needed.

Offline valtr

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Cheers to Toast.

Offline bobmaloney

TO TOAST!
(I still think BitSharesTOAST was the best idea that never happened)  :P

Hear, hear!

I still hope to purchase a .toast domain with crumbs and jelly someday soon.

Sent from my Cap'n Crunch Bo'sun whistle.

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Riverhead

Glad to hear Toast has found a way to pay the rent and still contribute to the BTS project as well as others. I have complete faith in the the remaining core devs. Having Toast on other projects strengthens the ecosystem as a whole.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
In the future there might be a Bitshares VIDEO, who knows?
And a BitShares Digital Art!

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

Scalability. By having multiple blockchains which we collectively own a piece of the DPoS community scan scale. What doesn't necessarily remain the same is the percentages of holdings but that's not so important to everyone.

The social consensus is that 10% would go to AGS and PTS. As a result the community owns a stake in Bitshares Music even though it is a separate chain. Additionally Bitshares can communicate with Bitshares Music through ACCT (atomic cross chain transactions).

Notes had a separate crowdsale and you're free to buy some Notes if you want but it's not the same purpose of Bitshares. It's for music artists exclusively. In the future there might be a Bitshares VIDEO, who knows?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline robrigo

Check out http://whatarenotes.info.

The reason it is being launched separate dates back to the idea of multiple DACs using the BitShares toolkit- some of the projects started were merged into BitShares (VOTE and DNS for instance) while others (Play and Music) are still working on their own version of the code.

Offline onceuponatime

What are NOTEs
http://whatarenotes.info/

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Thanks for the clarification BM.. the vacuum of silence here on matters like this creates a lot of crazy new stories.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Tuck Fheman

when can i get some bittoast?

Offline yellowecho

TO TOAST!
(I still think BitSharesTOAST was the best idea that never happened)  :P
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
think of it this way .

The development fund of BTS------ namely AGS , has a lot of stake in the Music system  .

If Music will be to the moon , that means the development budget of BTS will have great increase in value  , and be worth to compensate the BTS developers .

In fact , we would want to help all of the DACs who have gave AGS fund significant stake to succeed .

Absolutely!  We are closely economically aligned, almost like that was the plan!  +5%

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
think of it this way .

The development fund of BTS------ namely AGS , has a lot of stake in the Music system  .

If Music will be to the moon , that means the development budget of BTS will have great increase in value  , and be worth to compensate the BTS developers .

In fact , we would want to help all of the DACs who have gave AGS fund significant stake to succeed .

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:12:42 pm by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Thank you Toast.  Long may your journey with BitShares continue.  BitShares Music will surely benefit from your expertise!  +5%
Haha.. interestingly, I can recall forum members complaining a year ago how BM could possible offer a job to a "newbie" from the university :)
Not this forum member I hope!  ;D  I would gladly have eaten humble pie though, BM's not always right but Toast has been brilliant.

Tuck Fheman

Haha.. interestingly, I can recall forum members complaining a year ago how BM could possible offer a job to a "newbie" from the university :)

right. "hiring teenagers" i believe was what i read a few places back in the day. now it's "toast was all bitshares haddddd!" from some.

elvis has left the building lel

i'm pretty sure i and the rest of you have a stash of notes which toast is working on thanks to having bitshares ags/pts. so i don't really see how toast has left meh or any of us.

but sure so long toast!  i'll read you on another forum.

guess we'll have to hope this dan guy (if that's his real name) can save us.

( ̄ー ̄)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Toast is one of the most valuable players in our ecosystem!

Thank you so much for all work you've done and you'll doing for BTS MUSIC etc...
I've got your back…

c
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Tuck Fheman

Toast left?!

When did this happen? Is there an official thread announcing this or should I create four or five threads inquiring about it?  Yes he's probably posted in this thread by now acknowledging such as fact, but I need proof!

:P

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thank you Toast.  Long may your journey with BitShares continue.  BitShares Music will surely benefit from your expertise!  +5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Toast has been a great member of our team but has always been a free agent and not an employee.   He came to BTS to produce the DNS chain but that has been absorbed by BTS.
I totally agree. He also used to be very active hear in the forum. We just don't see anything from him anymore .. and that's too bad

He is currently serving as a liaison to BTS Music team which was progressing largely without technical support from the core team until Toast went over to help.   I recently talked with Toast about the future for BTS Music and am gathering the requirements that they would need to launch on the BTS chain rather than their own chain.   
Woops .. that's news to me. What was the outcome of your talk?
It seems toast is working on BitShares MUSIC and not for peertracks? Does he get a fair compensation there?

To my knowledge Toast is actually bringing new money into the BTS ecosystem and is still a believer in our future.   I applaud Toast for finding a way to pay his bills while still contributing to our ecosystem full time without having to sell all of his BTS.   

Toast is sending any BTS his delegates earn to the angel account and we are using those funds to keep the other developers fed.
I would have preferred to read this from toast himself but I am ok this way too.

@toast, what's your take in your delegates? I recall you say they it would be a great test for the system to have them voted out. Though, reading above makes me like to add them to my slate again .. now what?

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Pics or it didn't happen. 

Offline bytemaster

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:26:54 pm by bytemaster »
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.