Author Topic: BitShares 0.9.0-RC1 Feedback  (Read 13966 times)

Offline SmileyChris

QT wallet is crashing for me. Here's the console log after it did it's block replay. Re-running the program causes the same exception apart from the initial "successfully replayed / blockchain size changed" lines.

Loading config from file: /home/chris/.BitShares/config.json
Using built-in blockchain checkpoints
Initializing state from built-in genesis file
Successfully replayed 2342769 blocks in 1840 seconds.                         
Blockchain size changed from 1308MiB to 1310MiB.
/index.html
/css/app.css
/js/app.js
/locale-en.json
/img/xts-logo-xl-white-shadow.png
/img/logo-ico.svg
/img/xt-background.jpg
/webfonts/Roboto-Regular-webfont.woff
/webfonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff
QNetworkReplyImplPrivate::error: Internal problem, this method must only be called once.
/webfonts/Roboto-Regular-webfont.ttf
QNetworkReplyImplPrivate::error: Internal problem, this method must only be called once.
/webfonts/Roboto-Regular-webfont.svg
fish: Job 1, “./programs/qt_wallet/bin/BitShares ” terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Possible memory leak while 'Repairing key record'.
I was running the client with a max_memory limit, it crashed:
Code: [Select]
Continuing wallet upgrade...
Repairing key record     11746MEM CPU 555.43 MEM 4814328 MAXMEM 4814328 STALE 1721
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
4.) >Exchange>%market> Wallet occasionally crashes on selecting a market

There have been reports of this for a long time, but we haven't been able to track it down yet: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1477

It would be extremely helpful if anyone could get a stack trace of this crash.

Yes it does it and it is indeed randomly ,from what I can tell ( in 0.8.0).
The only relatively sure [7-8 out of 10 times on 8G + regular hard drive] way to achieve/recreate it is:
- Restart the client (GUI) after at least 6h of not running it. (preferably 24h+)
- Go to exchange; and click on non-BTS market (so something like bitUSD:bitBTC should work) do this fast - before the Market (i.e. its graphs) has fully loaded.

[edit] And no I have not let it to do crush as of late - it starts consuming memory like crazy in a matter of minutes. So I kill the process when it approaches 2G RAM.
Your issue is probably caused by the poor performance while fetching historical (matched) market orders especially in non-BTS market. See https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1202.
And perhaps there are race conditions somewhere...

zerosum

There have been reports of this for a long time, but we haven't been able to track it down yet: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1477

Yes it does it and it is indeed randomly ,from what I can tell ( in 0.8.0).
The only relatively sure [7-8 out of 10 times on 8G + regular hard drive] way to achieve/recreate it is:
- Restart the client (GUI) after at least 6h of not running it. (preferably 24h+)
- Go to exchange; and click on non-BTS market (so something like bitUSD:bitBTC should work) do this fast - before the Market (i.e. its graphs) has fully loaded.

[edit] And no I have not let it to do crush as of late - it starts consuming memory like crazy in a matter of minutes. So I kill the process when it approaches 2G RAM.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:49:44 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
I wasn't able to create a short earlier.  The only way I can get it to go through is if the collateral field does not contain a decimal.
Maybe this is caused by the API change "all numbers should be passed in as strings" as well.
@svk31

Offline vikram

I've downloaded the 0.9.0-RC1 on my Windows 7 test machine and am having numerous problems.

It crashed several times and froze and had to be closed several times, but finally it loaded and synced.

But there are 21 accounts at the Dashboard page, 19 of them not mine! Some of them appear to be accounts that I sent 0.5BTS to when I was sending to newbies to register. Others, I have no idea, and they aren't registered.

And now the client says "Severe network problems" and is not syncing even though on my main machine with the 0.8.0 version there is no network problem.

Shut down and restarted again, twice. Same thing. "Severe network problems", not syncing, and still al the extra accounts at Dashboard.

I can't get to the console for information because the 21 accounts go below the page, and I can't scroll down past them to "Advanced".

This sounds like a possible side-effect of the wallet db upgrade on first open--has your situation changed at all?

Final release should have a fix for the extraneous accounts showing up.

Offline vikram

Xeldal

I wasn't able to create a short earlier.  The only way I can get it to go through is if the collateral field does not contain a decimal.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Overall slick! Here's what I found in the GUI on OSX:

Exchange page
 - MPA and UIA tables are not populated

Market page
 - Price graphs are not showing in 'Flipped' mode
 - Price graph scrolls on its own when my cursor hovers over it
 - 'Volume' and '24hr Low/High/Change' in the upper pane all read 0 but 'Latest/Call Price' is fine
 - The 'Short Sell' and 'Margin Call' tables also get stuck to my cursor. The Buy/Sell tables don't seem to exhibit this behavior

Suggestions for 1280 x 800 display

- Can the price graph be shrunk vertically by 25% or so? I can't see the whole depth graph without scrolling.
 - Can the Order History pane be widened a little? It requires horizontal scrolling and feels a bit cramped, especially in 'My Order History'

Also, I restarted the client and got another exception. I launched it once more and it runs fine again.

ninja edit:
I like the new graphs.. big improvement! Especially with the 'All-time' view which seems to work now! The issue I mentioned above needs to be resolved so I can get the full graph experience. Also, are tooltips in the price graph gone now, or is that a bug?

It's always surprising to see the number of bugs that just appear out of nowhere on release! :)

I'll have a look once I get home. Any values not showing are most likely related to changes in the backend client API, I only tested it with 0.8.1 and there's been some changes since.

The price graph has data for 1 year now which is why the all time view "works" as you say. The tooltip should be displayed in text inside the graph window, no moving tooltip.

You have a pretty low resolution screen but I'll have a look if there's anything to be done.
The 0 numbers issue could caused by the API change "all numbers return as strings"

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
No way to do titan anymore?
TITAN is possible with CLI/console.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
It took me 4 hours to re-index on my non-SSD machine with --statistics-enabled, and 8770 seconds with no --statistics-enabled. Heavy IO operations.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Ubuntu 64bit cli version.

Seems to crash after an hour or two, need to keep restarting when this happens. 
The only message there is "killed".

This was on a fresh account that never had a previous version of bitshares before.
Deleting .Bitshares folder just results in everything starting over again.

Command line is extremely slow to respond and this slowness grows the longer the client is running.
Command line slowness is no joke, there is always literally at least 1 second in between characters, regardless of my typing speed.

I think you have a memory leak because the whole machine slowed to a crawl near the end of the last incident then became snappy again once the "killed" message appeared.

Have not yet synced the block chain, been at it 2 days.
Thanks for the hard work though!

How much memory have you?
Are your system using a swap file?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

This was on a fresh account that never had a previous version of bitshares before.

Command line is extremely slow to respond and this slowness grows the longer the client is running.
Command line slowness is no joke, there is always literally at least 1 second in between characters, regardless of my typing speed.

I think you have a memory leak because the whole machine slowed to a crawl near the end of the last incident then became snappy again once the "killed" message appeared.

you OS kills the client if it neess more ram than you have ..

Also, search the bts.wiki for "chain servers" .. it will show you how to sync alot faster!

Offline tsaishen

• View Profile

Xeldal

1.) >Exchange> Market-Pegged Assets tab and User-Issued Assets tab are both empty

2.) There is a market BTC:USD and bitBTC:bitUSD they appear to be the same book with same history etc,  just different names?

but, there's also a bitBTC:USD and bitUSD:BTC markets with no book and no history.  I don't get it.

3.) >Exchange>%market> Buy tab -  "Lowest Ask xxx.xxxxx" doesn't includes short orders for lowest Ask.

Suggestion:
4.) >Exchange>%market>   - get rid of 24hr Low, 24hr High, and Volume.  Ideally this information can be taken from the chart.  One would simply change the chart period to 1 day (every candle = 24 hours)(I understand we don't currently have period selection) and hover over the 24hour period you are interested in and this information would be displayed.   Also I think the constant repetition of (BTS/bitUSD)(bitUSD)(BTS/bitUSD)(BTS/bitUSD)(BTS/bitUSD)(BTS/bitUSD)(BTS/bitUSD) in most cases is not necessary.  All one needs to do is look at the BASE in the pair your trading (ex: BASE:QUOTE) and you should know what every number is representative of.  Its fine in some places but gets very redundant and just takes up space.  Get rid of these and you can make the actually information, the numbers, much bigger and readable without squinting.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:55:07 pm by Xeldal »