Author Topic: The end of Ripple from cryptocurrency believers?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Once we stabilize the rules of the game and the client, I will definitely make a lot of meetups and hopefully will bring new people (some very wealthy I hope) in the system...
But as the situation stands right now I I don't know the final rules and I don't like misleading people.. I believe in the future of Bitshares no matter what because I believe that the Devs and BM are honest with good intentions and many people in this community want to make BTS the next best thing without carrying only for their profits. I do not want to convince people jumping in the system because of my beliefs but rather inform them properly based on proven results.

We will eventually get there..

Offline fuzzy

Ripple is awesome as current banking 2. You can move around millions without the need to have exposure in XRP. Therefore XRP as an investment to me has no value... Ripple as a centralized network has/will have great great value.

Bitshares will become awesome as decentralizing the financial sector. You can not create bitassets without having BTS therefore BTS the token will have great value (or at least I hope so).. We only need the platform to work properly, the rules to be finalized and a couple of fiat gateways...

I was showing to some friends yesterday how fast bitshares transactions and how user friendly with the name registration are and light bulbs were signing on top of their heads...

Have you ever thought about holding meetups?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I was showing to some friends yesterday how fast bitshares transactions and how user friendly with the name registration are and light bulbs were signing on top of their heads...

I do it the same way.
It's tough to explain it to some people but if you just show them how the web wallet works (voip screenshares are a great way too!) then it all clicks a lot faster.

The older people want to secure their savings and retirement and the younger people ask me more about investing for their future, paying off their student loans and stuff.

When they learn about how we're decentralized and how crazy-fast BitShares' transactions are too, it's a no-brainer.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Ripple is awesome as current banking 2. You can move around millions without the need to have exposure in XRP. Therefore XRP as an investment to me has no value... Ripple as a centralized network has/will have great great value.

Bitshares will become awesome as decentralizing the financial sector. You can not create bitassets without having BTS therefore BTS the token will have great value (or at least I hope so).. We only need the platform to work properly, the rules to be finalized and a couple of fiat gateways...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yes, but Ripple retains power that Bitshares decentralizes and therefore does not.  Ripple apparently pressured Bitstamp into freezing a transaction and they complied.  Would Bitshares be able to do that to a Bitshares gateway?  I don't think so because there is no central authority within Bitshares that could punish a gateway.  A gateway is responsible for it's own conduct and reputation, but in this case, their decision may have been affected by the power Ripple holds over the network.
Yup ... people need to realize that they can do with the blockchain whatever they want .. no need to ask for permission!

Though it's a different thing for gateways, they figuratively interconnect the two worlds and need to comply with regulations .. that's why even in bitshares they will be allowed to free costumers IOUs .. though they only harm their own users base (i.e. bitstampUSD) and not the blockchain. The blockchain doesn't care. and there is still a unfreezable bitUSD (the one BIG difference to ripple -- they only have IOUs)

Offline fuzzy

if my balance is freezable ... what has changed since banking 1.0 then ^^

Agreed.  This is why I believe we should move to granular whitelists and blacklists (webs of trust). 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Bitshares gateways operate in the same manner. Gateway IOUs are credit, they are not supposed to be fungible. In Bitshares' case you have bts and bitusd for that.

Yes, but Ripple retains power that Bitshares decentralizes and therefore does not.  Ripple apparently pressured Bitstamp into freezing a transaction and they complied.  Would Bitshares be able to do that to a Bitshares gateway?  I don't think so because there is no central authority within Bitshares that could punish a gateway.  A gateway is responsible for it's own conduct and reputation, but in this case, their decision may have been affected by the power Ripple holds over the network.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
if my balance is freezable ... what has changed since banking 1.0 then ^^
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bitsapphire

Bitshares gateways operate in the same manner. Gateway IOUs are credit, they are not supposed to be fungible. In Bitshares' case you have bts and bitusd for that.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
http://bitcoinist.net/not-decentralized-ripple-freezes-1m-user-funds/

It appears that Ripple will support just fine the existing system. Bitcoin whales should just move to Bitshares..

I've said it before, as have others......Ripple and any system like it that retains authority over transactions are the manifestation of central banking 2.0

If the power is available, eventually it will be used to further special interests and the corruption sets in.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
http://bitcoinist.net/not-decentralized-ripple-freezes-1m-user-funds/

It appears that Ripple will support just fine the existing system. Bitcoin whales should just move to Bitshares..