Author Topic: BitShares 0.9.2 Feedback  (Read 28230 times)

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
I have been gradually buying BTS and really want Bitshares to prosper. I also realize that the developers work very hard for very little and I am hesitant to complain. However I am really frustrated by the Windows client installation procedure, and I doubt I am the only one, and I can’t help but think these problems are having a big negative effect on Bitshares adoption.  I cringe whenever there is a mandatory upgrade because I know it won’t go smoothly and will inevitably result in me having to download the blockchain yet again thus taking up a lot of time and using up about 30% of my monthly download allowance (I have a satellite connection with monthly download limits). There really needs to be an easy-to-find set of installation instructions with trouble-shooting procedures if something goes wrong.
Here are a few things I have experienced:

When I start the client I get a window that says “Starting Bitshares” but nothing happens even if I wait for a half hour.

I have tried deleting config.json and letting the system recreate it. This has never helped.

I get a Critical Error Message Window: An error occurred while trying to start. Please try restarting the application. This, of course, never helps.

Sometimes it will tell me that my database needs to be re-set. This never seems to help either.

Also, I don’t understand what the “Check for Updates” option. It always says No updates are available, but when the synchronization gets stuck, it’s usually because an upgrade is required, and it turns out that there is an upgrade available.

What I usually end up doing is to:
1)   Make a backup copy of C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Bitshares
2)   Delete the whole C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Bitshares folder
3)   Start Bitshares client and then close it when it asks me to create a new wallet
4)   Copy the wallets subfolder back into: C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Bitshares folder
5)   Start the client again and wait for it to sync up the blockchain again
6)   Make sure that my bitshares balance is the same as it was before the upgrade

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
Severe networks problems it saying all day, i reset router ect.. but still saying that and loosing conections

edit 0.9.1 available lets try
delete the "chains" folder from your config/data directory
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Config

it will resync the whole blockchain from the seed nodes ..

3 hours later,,,, it works! and with spanish languaje too. thanks bro.
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

zerosum

I don't have 16 GB and i7 to try new wallet but I'am sure that these one is best in the whole crypto space. Thank you. I can't wait version 1.0 and new few billions shares more with everything inside.
Happy Angel shares owner

@dritz3r - You will be glad if you upgrade to 0.9.0, it is much more stable, runs a little bit faster, and the new features are nice too.
I have a reeeeeeeeeeeally old computer too.

Let me know if you need any help, thanx :)
  -ken

Running 9.0 and it is far superior in terms of speed and smoothness!

Here we go with the useless pumping...

As I said it is upgradable... running it is as pain in the ass as 0.8.0 was.... basically it takes about 100M more memory than 0.8.0 .
 Restarting it immediately after you opening it for the first time is a almost obligatory first step. So is restarting it after opening 2 markets (if you are lucky for them to load that is)....

And btw this is supposed to be feedback thread. The devs are fully aware that it is not as smooth and polish as you describe it. If you want to promote some inexistent smoothness in 0.9.0 just open a dedicated pump up thread in the genera area.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:59:30 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Severe networks problems it saying all day, i reset router ect.. but still saying that and loosing conections

delete the "chains" folder from your config/data directory
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Config

it will resync the whole blockchain from the seed nodes ..

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee
Running 9.0 and it is far superior in terms of speed and smoothness!

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:05:38 pm by infovortice2013 »
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I don't have 16 GB and i7 to try new wallet but I'am sure that these one is best in the whole crypto space. Thank you. I can't wait version 1.0 and new few billions shares more with everything inside.
Happy Angel shares owner

@dritz3r - You will be glad if you upgrade to 0.9.0, it is much more stable, runs a little bit faster, and the new features are nice too.
I have a reeeeeeeeeeeally old computer too.

Let me know if you need any help, thanx :)
  -ken
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

zerosum

Happy Angel shares owner
I am as vocal as it gets (including about the damn client). But I do believe you have not even tied upgrading this time!!!!!

Believe it or not all phases of upgrading to 0.9.0 went with less than 1G memory for me - old laptop win7/32bit, regular HD.

Conditions:
-fully synced blockchain before start;
-use bitshares_client.exe (i.e. the CLI client);
-restart after replaying the blockchain (replay took about 70 min.) and log in into your wallet(s).

This should help if you care to try it.

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile

Happy Angel shares owner

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
Please make transaction scanning faster. As i have multiple wallets, it is such a waste of time to wait for each wallet to be scanned.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
New market layout is awesome! Especially, I love using full precision function - this will beat tricky sellers.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
in 0.9 you can' see your own created assets

in Dashboard>Assets>My Assets it shows me no assets at all
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:35:40 pm by Shentist »

zerosum

And if you wonder why on pic#1 you cannot see and on pic#2 you can see the order - pic one is under 'short' and pic#2 is what you see under buy orders.

OK it's an issue of your screen having low vertical resolution, 1*the open orders will let you scroll inside their table but you can't even see that. BTW there should be an auto-update of the GUI available to a new version that has the orderbook chart switchable with the price chart.

2*What resolution are you using? I'll use it to see if I can figure out a solution..

Edit: You can tell you're trying to confirm a short from the coloring of the price which is blue, but 3*I can see if I can make it more explicit.
1* No I cannot see that.
2* 1366x768
3* Please!

Offline svk

And if you wonder why on pic#1 you cannot see and on pic#2 you can see the order - pic one is under 'short' and pic#2 is what you see under buy orders.

OK it's an issue of your screen having low vertical resolution, the open orders will let you scroll inside their table but you can't even see that. BTW there should be an auto-update of the GUI available to a new version that has the orderbook chart switchable with the price chart.

What resolution are you using? I'll use it to see if I can figure out a solution..

Edit: You can tell you're trying to confirm a short from the coloring of the price which is blue, but I can see if I can make it more explicit.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

zerosum

1.The installation, replay database and whatever update to the wallet it does, went surprisingly smooth on an unsupported 32bit Win7 regular HD machine (using the bitshares_client -  i.e CLI)

2. The New GUI trading looks nice...one problem only - IT WILL BE REAL NICE if ONE CAN SEE and ACTUALLY PLACE his/her orders....(or to have any idea if it is a call/buy or short order for that matter)....pic coming if this is not clear by itself.

A picture would be appreciated for #2, because obviously you can see and place orders in a normally working wallet.

Here is the pic. BTW see the right-hand sliding bar - I cannot go any lower than that. And this is just one short order not placed yet (and no open orders - and at times one can have tens of already placed orders!)

You should know this but one have no idea what kind of order (buy/sell/short) she is confirming.