Author Topic: Unconventional marketing idea... The Perfect Road Trip  (Read 1770 times)

Offline roadscape

Just found this thread in my bookmarks! Sorry for the late reply :D

First off, I know nothing about marketing, so please feel free to build on this idea, it is very rough around the edges.

I'm looking at this trip suggestion here: http://www.shareably.net/perfect-road-trip-map/

What if people started an infinite never ending loop following the path of that trip, to help people who want to go on that trip collaborate, and also start providing accommodations locally, heck may be even using BitUSD?

I.e. like a perpetually moving community hitting all states at once and growing. Raising awareness and building a community is probably one of the keys to success for crypto adoption. Hopefully folks who recently did the road trip could share some light on what works and what doesn't.

It could help build the sense of community, combine Uber, AirBnB, etc. into one. i.e. ability to collaborate and coexist entirely using a crypto, while also making it fun.

Imagine a hop-on/hop-off tour bus endlessly driving that route.. lol

I do agree there's a lot of opportunity here. Community building will be very important, especially if want BitShares to be a strong and resilient grassroots movement. There's a lot of ways to approach it.. do you want a decentralized 'P2P tour' model, or centralized conferences/meetups? How many members are getting together.. 2, or 2 dozen? It boils down to questions of time, cost, and purpose.

Here are our community "hubs" thus far: http://bitshares.meetup.com/
And individual nodes: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1162907

We need more meetup groups. That's the first step.. to be active locally. Meet the enthusiasts near you, or infiltrate a local Bitcoin meetup. Start something. As we grow more hubs, transportation/collaboration between them will be more efficient and come naturally.

Meeting community members in person is a truly gratifying experience; one that no number of forum posts could replace. :)
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I really like the idea, it's certainly ambitious!  Perhaps with a defined goal of visiting every state would be better though.....you could always do it again!  Also, maybe do this in parallel with trips in Europe and in China or anywhere else that could gather enough participants and support like xeroc suggested.....that would be awesome!

You'd need a clearly defined set of objectives with regard to media generation and how you'd use it before, during and after the trips.

You made me think of the Gumball Rally for Bitshares.....of course we'd be showcasing Bitshares sexy cryptotech rather than cars.  More challenging perhaps but not impossible.   

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
In math, they call this "traveling salesman problem" :)
and it lacks half of the continent together with the other 4 continents to become a *perfect* roadtrip :)

It supposedly hits all 48 continental states. My point was to organize a group that takes that trip together, and in the process try to use BitUSD to barter.

i.e. if you are already one of the people taking that trip, might as well spread the word.

Of course for this to happen you'd need a killer mobile wallet working first.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In math, they call this "traveling salesman problem" :)
and it lacks half of the continent together with the other 4 continents to become a *perfect* roadtrip :)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
In case people missed it in the article..

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
First off, I know nothing about marketing, so please feel free to build on this idea, it is very rough around the edges.

I'm looking at this trip suggestion here: http://www.shareably.net/perfect-road-trip-map/

What if people started an infinite never ending loop following the path of that trip, to help people who want to go on that trip collaborate, and also start providing accommodations locally, heck may be even using BitUSD?

I.e. like a perpetually moving community hitting all states at once and growing. Raising awareness and building a community is probably one of the keys to success for crypto adoption. Hopefully folks who recently did the road trip could share some light on what works and what doesn't.

It could help build the sense of community, combine Uber, AirBnB, etc. into one. i.e. ability to collaborate and coexist entirely using a crypto, while also making it fun.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:44:33 am by bitmeat »