Author Topic: BitUSD supply  (Read 2829 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
The market cap of BTS is determined by the market's subjective expectations of what future value it can accrue for the benefit of its owners. It has little direct relationship with the value of bitAssets, except that it imposes a limit on how much bitAsset can be produced.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
When bts is fully mature its valuation will also be based on the fees it generates.

I think it just needs heavy marketing / integration. The point I was trying to make is that no matter how good BTS is, if there is no demand for BitUSD, it won't take off.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
When bts is fully mature its valuation will also be based on the fees it generates.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Like I said take out the speculation, once BTS is an entirely mature product, it's main utilization would be around providing collateral. From that perspective I think 3x the market cap of all BitAssets is fair.

It is ludicrous to think of this valuation before it's mature. So apologies if I gave the impression of a real value.

I meant we need more BitAssets demand that will drive price up.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
at least BTS has an utility..creating bitassets that track real assets. What is the utility of Doge,LTC, PPC and any other cryptocoin out there? Why do these even exist? because people and a lot of merchants will use them in the future? lol...

There should only be bitcoin (for now), Ripple and maybe some other bitcoin 2 projects..maybe..

Always invest in fundamentals and in people..

Offline fuzzy

I shorted at 250 with 200% collateral.. whats my margin call at roughly?

You are much braver than I am.  As much as I believe in BTS I will never short a bitAsset.  My investing mentality is not correct for leverage, I buy and hold things I believe in no matter what. 

I hope it works out for all current bitAsset shorts!  Its sad that so many have been hurt the past several months because the bears beat us.

Is this normal or do you feel the market is unfair to shorts due to the current requirements?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile

You are much braver than I am.  As much as I believe in BTS I will never short a bitAsset.  My investing mentality is not correct for leverage, I buy and hold things I believe in no matter what. 

I hope it works out for all current bitAsset shorts!  Its sad that so many have been hurt the past several months because the bears beat us.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
Multiply the BitUSD supply by 3x and that's your realistic BTS market cap. Quite disturbing BTS is currently worth $300K if you take out all the speculation.

You forgot other BitAssets.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Whats up is that people converted to BTS during the crash, which is absolutely what they should do.  And those short bitUSD (thus long BTS on margin) were forced to cover due to margin calls.

The fact that bitAsset supplies must shrink as BTS market cap drops is exactly the thing that makes it not a ponzi.  This is why BTS is better than Nubits - because supply of bitAssets decreases when demand goes away (instead of the value of bitUSD just going to 0).

Also, the idea "3x bitUSD market cap = BTS value" is not accurate.  The BTS market cap relative to bitAsset market cap only shows the potential for how much bitAssets could be created/supported at that time.   Back before bitAssets even existed, BTS had a market cap.  The lack of bitAssets didnt imply the cap should be 0.

Bitcoin has no bitAssets.  This does not mean that bitcoin is worth 0.

+5%

Indeed.  He has it backwards, [Market cap] / [Margin call ratio] is the maximum BitAsset total that can be fully backed.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Whats up is that people converted to BTS during the crash, which is absolutely what they should do.  And those short bitUSD (thus long BTS on margin) were forced to cover due to margin calls.

The fact that bitAsset supplies must shrink as BTS market cap drops is exactly the thing that makes it not a ponzi.  This is why BTS is better than Nubits - because supply of bitAssets decreases when demand goes away (instead of the value of bitUSD just going to 0).

Also, the idea "3x bitUSD market cap = BTS value" is not accurate.  The BTS market cap relative to bitAsset market cap only shows the potential for how much bitAssets could be created/supported at that time.   Back before bitAssets even existed, BTS had a market cap.  The lack of bitAssets didnt imply the cap should be 0.

+5%

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:10:47 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline yellowecho

BitUSD is created when shorts match longs.. no shorts means no BitUSD.. and no one is shorting right now because the market is fucked>:(
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Multiply the BitUSD supply by 3x and that's your realistic BTS market cap. Quite disturbing BTS is currently worth $300K if you take out all the speculation.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
What's with the drastic drops in BitUSD supply? http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/asset/info?asset=USD