Author Topic: Should there even be a PR Focus Group? (Poll)  (Read 5180 times)

Offline davidpbrown

The question is kind of misframing my point(though respectful and constructive, as I have come to expect from you). There is nothing keeping 1000's of businesses from using the bitshares platform, but we have to provide incentives for businesses to want to do the opposite of what we see today. It is a matter of incentives...and a delegate to subsidize your freedom-loving (3D Printing, free energy) business is a huge benefit.  This is especially true if competitors are monitoring each other in hopes of taking eachothers' delegates.  I think the incentives are absolutely critical. 

It isn't just that we reach a high marketcap, but also how we set the foundation for that growth in a way that incentivizes companies to see bitshares' citizens' rights as the number one priority.

But this is not the point of the OP. ;)

The incentive should be the utility that BitShares provides. There is no point in a product that need subsidising .. bribing users is a short term indicator that something's wrong. If the timing is wrong, then wait a while and find a different class of user/audience who will engage at this stage.

If it's a matter of bridging that gap in time, then approach Richard Branson or similar.. he's apparently hosting some Bitcoin summit roughly now: http://www.coindesk.com/richard-branson-blockchain-summit-private-island/ If not him, then Bill Gates etc. Fortune favours the brave?

Perhaps what we need more that what is typically PR, is ambassadors. The best will be those close to the core dev team who can communicate exactly on target what is possible and inspire that support.

Trifold brochures etc are all very well.. but who's getting the message? The measure of PR/Marketing is the volume [quality x quantity] of the message they are creating. It's unclear that the message is getting out or to the right people in the right way.. perhaps it is and we're suffering the natural evolution of BitShares class of activity right now, coupled with pressure on BTC from merchants turning it over. Perhaps the halving date in 2017 will be the next uptick. Plan for worst case and enjoy the difference..  8)

Edit: fixed detail of Richard Branson event : http://www.coindesk.com/richard-branson-blockchain-summit-private-island/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:51:07 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
sure bts need PR. need to go and present saying here we are, you need to use because you get a ton of profits for your bussines left out the game your competence thanks to our advantajes.

New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

PR should be done by business building on top of bitshares.

If we create enough incentives to attract entrepreneurs and devs then we should have no problem
getting the exposure and marketing we need.

So basically, I don't think the protocol needs a PR focus group.

We need products and services built on top of BitShares and rewarding those businesses for bringing in users.

Exactly. 

Over time, BTS value will be driven by demand generated by real businesses built on top of the platform, not so much from speculation about the platform itself. 

(Although, this is also something real that professional speculators can base quantitative decisions upon.)

Altcoin holders are, in general, stuck speculating on the continuing value of a meme.  Nothing wrong with that as harmless entertainment, I suppose.   

But growth lies with an ability to support profitable businesses. :)

my  big concern is how those businesses get into positions of power and if the stakeholders will have the ability to vote them out if they do something against our foundational beliefs (like verizon tapping and sending off all your info)

I know you care about this platform fuzzy and I appreciate everything that you do for the platform.

I would like to know your opinion about this question:

Do you want people to have the ability to vote on which business can or cannot be built on BitShares?

The question is kind of misframing my point(though respectful and constructive, as I have come to expect from you). There is nothing keeping 1000's of businesses from using the bitshares platform, but we have to provide incentives for businesses to want to do the opposite of what we see today. It is a matter of incentives...and a delegate to subsidize your freedom-loving (3D Printing, free energy) business is a huge benefit.  This is especially true if competitors are monitoring each other in hopes of taking eachothers' delegates.  I think the incentives are absolutely critical. 

It isn't just that we reach a high marketcap, but also how we set the foundation for that growth in a way that incentivizes companies to see bitshares' citizens' rights as the number one priority.

But this is not the point of the OP. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:58:40 am by fuzzy »

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog

If we create enough incentives to attract entrepreneurs and devs then we should have no problem

We need products and services built on top of BitShares and rewarding those businesses for bringing in users.

Exactly. 

Over time, BTS value will be driven by demand generated by real businesses built on top of the platform, not so much from speculation about the platform itself. 

(Although, this is also something real that professional speculators can base quantitative decisions upon.)

Altcoin holders are, in general, stuck speculating on the continuing value of a meme.  Nothing wrong with that as harmless entertainment, I suppose.   

my  big concern is how those businesses get into positions of power and if the stakeholders will have the ability to vote them out if they do something against our foundational beliefs (like verizon tapping and sending off all your info)

I know you care about this platform fuzzy and I appreciate everything that you do for the platform.

I would like to know your opinion about this question:

Do you want people to have the ability to vote on which business can or cannot be built on BitShares?

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Exactly. 

I'm not sure what kind of "position of power" any business could get into, but let's consider something concrete:

Suppose a business is engaging in something obnoxious like promoting capitalism or Austrian economics or selling Baltimore Ravens football tickets.  Do we really want shareholders in the neutral platform to be able to somehow stop them?

Whup.. Stan took the train to crazy town.. Baltimore Ravens tickets?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Exactly. 

I'm not sure what kind of "position of power" any business could get into, but let's consider something concrete:

Suppose a business is engaging in something obnoxious like promoting capitalism or Austrian economics or selling Baltimore Ravens football tickets.  Do we really want shareholders in the neutral platform to be able to somehow stop them?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:00:52 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fuzzy

Exactly. 

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Exactly. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I dont see what you are selling here .. besides the nice interview at cointelegraph I cant see your contributions .. please enlighten me!!

xeroc, what's up? Why are you attacking me? Am I not working hard enough?
In my Delegate Proposal I show exactly what I am doing here. bts.wiki work doesn't start with gamey until robrigo and I are done with Wikipedia first.

Please read my DP:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vg-N7NbX5J5FC9EvxRqjoRqXyl9f2oNpQnphk1yW5Jw/edit
And:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=30868
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
ehm .. what wikiS are we talking about here??
Changes made in bts.wiki in the last30 days:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=&limit=500

I dont see what you are selling here .. besides the nice interview at cointelegraph I cant see your contributions .. please enlighten me!!

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
ehm .. most content if not all in the wiki has been written for FREE by volunteers of the community .. how come you think you can get paid for doing it?

I'm doing a lot more here than just the Wiki's:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vg-N7NbX5J5FC9EvxRqjoRqXyl9f2oNpQnphk1yW5Jw/edit
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline davidpbrown

ehm .. most content if not all in the wiki has been written for FREE by volunteers of the community .. how come you think you can get paid for doing it?

People are free to pitch for a delegate in whatever way they want. Votes win prizes..
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc