Author Topic: The easiest way to import your backup wallet.dat  (Read 4259 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
You don't need to delete everything, just replace the wallet file with the one you want to restore.
Hope you haven't been waiting for the blockchain to download every time!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline robozombie

• Technoholic
    • View Profile
Hi!

Since I was struggling to find a fast, efficient solution to import my  God-sent backup (phew!) I had in a thumbdrive of my wallet.dat files into my cryptocoins clients (Bitcoin/Protoshares), I want to explain to you in a layman's language how to do this without hurdling over command lines or consoles or terminals or whatever. Remember, these are my recommendations and I've tested this over and over and it's just worked for me, so YMMV! I am not held responsible if you miss something and lose your beloved cryptocoins!

1- You need to (obviously!) have your wallet.dat file(s) ready to import.

2- Download your cryptocoin client from its original source.

3- After fresh-installing your cryptocoin client, go to:

a)   %APPDATA%\YourCryptocoin\ (if you're using  Windows)

b)     ~/.YourCryptocoin/ (if you're using Linux)

or

c)     ~/Library/Application Support/YourCryptocoin/ (if you're using Mac).

4-
Delete EVERYTHING and just copy your wallet.dat file there.

5- It will take a little bit to resync with blockchain, but you'll have your wallet.dat imported and you'll see your balance without too much sorcery involved ;)

If you found this tutorial helpful, you may donate some coins to any of my cryptocoin addresses:

PTS: PgsF9nrU5EnXENUt92y2suDdUwXGz3s4SL

BTC: 12ZPjHQhTKabxHCgUr5trjnffnD4j4EcFR

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:50:32 am by robozombie »
Robozombie