Author Topic: Ideas on Bitshares Referral Program  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Bump.  Thoughts? I'd really like to source feedback on this.  I really think this is a good idea that they community should form an opinion on.  Against my stance that polls shouldn't be used to propose ideas, I also just added one to generate discussion and understanding.  Please vote!

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
I'm trying to think ahead to what the referral program will be like because I find it quite intriguing.  Right now I'm piecing together the bits of clues that Bytemaster has been dropping on the members.  So far what I can say it sounds like:

1) Incentive businesses to build on the blockchain by transaction fees.  This would likewise consider a increase in the current .5 bts transaction cost. 
2) Will be a one tier referral, similar to Max's.  Meaning fees will not be distributed in pyramid incentive structure.
3) Ideally, benefits to the business will be based on both users signed up and by transaction volume.  Unlike the standing delegate system, this is a direct performance based outcome.  (eg. Not a performer, your just not paid at all.) 

So right now, since the actual referral program is in the conceptual stage, I'd like to kick a few ideas around which may help guide the discussion and possibly enhance the referral program.

The way I see a business on the blockchain being compensated for their direct contribution is by allowing them to register a specific set of addresses.  A Business would pay a fixed fee for reserving these public addresses and it will be associated only with them.  It could be something like as BTS- COMPANY-XYZ-098jfHB5XMLmzFVj8ALj6mfBsbifRoD4miY.  I believe this was done in the Bitcoin universe for Edward Snowden, where every address that had 1snow delimited in the first few characters was all allocated to him.  Thus we can know any transaction done with these addresses, is linked to this businesses.  Like Coinbase, the Business will have the new users that they bring in subscribe to that particular address.  This allows the Bitshares network to pseudonymously track users and the transactions that particular business is creating.  Any program, such as a reddit/gambling/messaging app, uses only that specified set of addresses. Fees will proportionally go back to the business's bts account.  Sure anybody can sign up to these specially delimited addresses, but its a moot point, since the transaction fee that user created will go right back to the Business.

The vision in the end is to have many different and diverse companies offering a wide range of services.  They each would have their own pet addresses.  How are the transaction fees allocated from here?  Bitshares might distribute transaction fees proportional to first users brought in and also to total transaction volume.  I envision there will be a ultimate list of reserved addresses (btssnow, btscoin, btspts, btsnotes,btsmoon,, etc) sorted first by total registered addresses and then by total transactions.  So really the Businesses that have the most registered users on the blockchain and then to most transactions will receive the largest percentage of transaction fees.  This would align with the goal was not only to get users, but users who are active in the Bitshares blockchain. Its not most registered users (since there could be many empty accts).  Or even most transactions.  Sorting it twice allows for a double performance metric: most transactions after most users.

This are just some ideas I thought the the community should think through.  How practical do you think this is?  What do you think of this type of incentive scheme being implemented into Bitshares?