Author Topic: Paypal - New Draconian Polices take effect July 1st  (Read 6754 times)

Offline bitacer

merockstar

thanks for bumping this guys. I just closed my account.

I wasn't able to remember my password (luckily I've since wised up and started using keypass), they had an old address and debit card on file, and I couldn't remember who my favorite historical figure was. I was completely locked out of my account.

I literally had to call them and navigate through their maze of an automated system before I finally asked it for a person. When I got the person, they had to ask me a series of questions to verify that it was me. One of them was what month my uncle's ex-wife born in (they've been divorced for a decade). I lucked out and happened to know, but man I would imagine most people are screwed if they lock themselves out of their account. The lady said the questions get even more absurd than that sometimes.

Anyway, I got to verbally express why I was closing my account, that was fun.

2500 for violating the terms of service, and it's against their terms to buy crypto...

yea... that would be 2-3 months worth of pay over nothing... intolerable...

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
I bought some bitcoin from someone using Paypal back in the early days.
Paypal then said I was not allowed to use Palpal for virtual currency stuff and accused me of funding terrorism and money laundering.

They have me the option to provide more details about myself and explain my actions.

I decided to just close the account.

Offline fuzzy

I'd like to point out that the changes vary significantly from region to region across the globe. The changes being discussed here are relevant in the United States.

So bear in mind, if you're not in the U.S., that the updates may not include the issues being discussed here.

If I find time, I'm going to go through the terms for the UK. It's annoying to have to do this, and I don't like what they're doing in the U.S. (so maybe I'll just close my account regardless)... >:(

edit: Well it seems we have it relatively good in the U.K. (and I think the whole of the E.U.?) - we can set our own communication preferences, and so opt out of surveys, newsletters, marketing etc.

If you think about it, it is only aatter of time before they try to expand those powers. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
I'd like to point out that the changes vary significantly from region to region across the globe. The changes being discussed here are relevant in the United States.

So bear in mind, if you're not in the U.S., that the updates may not include the issues being discussed here.

If I find time, I'm going to go through the terms for the UK. It's annoying to have to do this, and I don't like what they're doing in the U.S. (so maybe I'll just close my account regardless)... >:(

edit: Well it seems we have it relatively good in the U.K. (and I think the whole of the E.U.?) - we can set our own communication preferences, and so opt out of surveys, newsletters, marketing etc.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:21:14 pm by hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline mangou007

BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone de BitShares
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares French gateway
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Offline onceuponatime

We're all about to find out what happens when an entire world's financial system is based on usury.

I hope we are ready in time!

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
We're all about to find out what happens when an entire world's financial system is based on usury.

Offline onceuponatime

I hate to say this, but if this NDAA, chicago blcak torture sites, NSA spying, TPP...and now paypal stuff doesn't open people's eyes, nothing will.

TPP is the Trans-Pacific Partership I'm assuming.

People are only motivated when they get effected directly.  Very few people look at the future and make preparations now.  Most people are engineered to only worry about today and let tomorrow handle itself.

Here's an example, why do we call them "Credit Cards" ?   They should be called "Debt Cards"  (not debit, but debt)

Everytime you use one, you're basically creating debt for yourself, even if you do pay it off later.

+5%    

Hopefully, we ae the ones who are preparing.

p.s. I don't have a credit card.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
I hate to say this, but if this NDAA, chicago blcak torture sites, NSA spying, TPP...and now paypal stuff doesn't open people's eyes, nothing will.

TPP is the Trans-Pacific Partership I'm assuming.

People are only motivated when they get effected directly.  Very few people look at the future and make preparations now.  Most people are engineered to only worry about today and let tomorrow handle itself.

Here's an example, why do we call them "Credit Cards" ?   They should be called "Debt Cards"  (not debit, but debt)

Everytime you use one, you're basically creating debt for yourself, even if you do pay it off later.

Offline fuzzy

Wow is that even legal? Regardless, I'm closing my paypal account as well. I'm not agreeing to those Nazi like terms.

They write whatever they want in there and then when shit hits the fan it's your lawyer against theirs.

Mark my words...all of us here are going to have to make some very tough decisions as we move forward.  Many of us, if we stick to our principles, will likely be called cyber terrorists and indefinitely detained.  And if we go along, we will likely only be spared until all the other sheep are tortured, killed, or worse...

All I know is that every time I look at my baby jericho, I feel the need to continue working here to whatever degree I can.  This is literally the only thing any of us can do.  The world we are moving toward make 1984 seem like a dull story.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:50:25 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Riverhead

Wow is that even legal? Regardless, I'm closing my paypal account as well. I'm not agreeing to those Nazi like terms.

They write whatever they want in there and then when shit hits the fan it's your lawyer against theirs.