Author Topic: Minimum requirements for delegate nodes and source code portability  (Read 2600 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
xeroc, I lost this thread in the mean time.

I have looked into chain servers, nice concept but there seem to be some up already and since it needs manual editing of the config file, I suppose >95% users are not using them now.

I'll revisit the idea of running one if their discovery by clients becomes automatic.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline karnal

• View Profile
If you are extra generous you can run a full-node chain server to help with fast syncing

Please elaborate ? I would be very interested to know more.

Is there an up-to-date wiki/article about node types in BitShares?

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
If you are extra generous you can run a full-node chain server to help with fast syncing
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
One last question related to this, if you're not aiming for paid delegate position, is there any benefit to the network from running under-101 delegates?

I realize that these wouldn't sign blocks, but do they help with client syncing? Any other functions they would have?

A stable node with high uptime and static IP address would help a little, yes. But not so much that you should dedicate a machine to it.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Cool guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

And thanks Ken for summoning the right people :)

One last question related to this, if you're not aiming for paid delegate position, is there any benefit to the network from running under-101 delegates?

I realize that these wouldn't sign blocks, but do they help with client syncing? Any other functions they would have?

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I am wondering if anyone who is presently running a node could comment on disk space requirements / CPU% usage / used memory when running bitshares continuously.

Disk usage on my client is currently at ~3.3G. CPU usage is high while syncing, but very low when running continuously. RAM is hard to tell, you should allow 1G for the CLI client.

For a knowledgeable developer, I would also like to ask how much was the code written with portability in mind - will it run easily on BSD and Solaris?

Well, the code compiles on Windows, OS-X and Linux, so portability is certainly a goal. Generally, the code is C++11, which means you need a recent compiler (but not too recent, see https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1540 ). You also need recent libraries (most importantly boost, and qt-5 for the GUI client).
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Riverhead

To just run the node is actually reasonably light once the chain has synchronized and indexed. I understand they are revamping the database so the information below is likely to change in the near future.

From my delegate VPS:

Digital Ocean:
  • 2GB Ram
  • 40GB SSD Disk
  • Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Code: [Select]
top - 06:05:13 up 18 days, 15:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.24
Tasks: 108 total,   2 running, 106 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  2.0 us,  0.8 sy,  0.0 ni, 96.3 id,  0.8 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   2049960 total,  1974308 used,    75652 free,     1616 buffers
KiB Swap:  4194300 total,    95856 used,  4098444 free.   809236 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                   
24279 james     20   0 2705916 1.012g  47856 S   5.0 51.8 104:49.35 bts_0.9.2     

Disk Space used by .BitShares folder: 3.5GB

The memory and CPU usage can both spike up to nearly 100% but is typically much lower than that; especially if you deny incoming connections.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am wondering if anyone who is presently running a node could comment on disk space requirements / CPU% usage / used memory when running bitshares continuously.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Hi karnal, I have paged a couple of the Tech Support people (cass and pc) for this one.
Hang in there, thanx :)
   -ken
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Greetings,

For a knowledgeable developer, I would also like to ask how much was the code written with portability in mind - will it run easily on BSD and Solaris?