Author Topic: Reconstruct memo info from a seed  (Read 1701 times)

Offline bytemaster

Bts already does this using info from the transaction.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the hosted wallet and Light Wallet currently allow complete recovery from the blockchain. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline vikram

If we want to reconstruct the entire transaction history of an account, we need to decode the memos that were sent from us and the memos received by us. (The second ones are not a problem since we have all the necessary information to decode).

But, the reconstruction of the shared secret (used to encrypt the memo out) forces the client to keep a reference to the key used (child index of HD key, full ECkey, other).

If we can just store 4 bytes in the memo we can relieve the client from storing that references (since the reference will be in the blockchain) and will let reconstruct the entire history just from a seed.

This 4 bytes can be obscured/encrypted using skip32 or other mechanism.

It there any possibility to do this in the core?
I don't want to increment blockchain size since it will have a big impact on the long term, but can we give a new meaning to some memo fields?

@vikram

I believe we are planning to use a scheme like this for a future upgrade to BitShares. bytemaster or modprobe can confirm.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Not for outgoing transactions ... those are usually only identifiable from the transaction history stored on-disk.
elmato proposes a scheme to allow recovering the memo from the blockchain ..

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
If we want to reconstruct the entire transaction history of an account, we need to decode the memos that were sent from us and the memos received by us. (The second ones are not a problem since we have all the necessary information to decode).

But, the reconstruction of the shared secret (used to encrypt the memo out) forces the client to keep a reference to the key used (child index of HD key, full ECkey, other).

If we can just store 4 bytes in the memo we can relieve the client from storing that references (since the reference will be in the blockchain) and will let reconstruct the entire history just from a seed.

This 4 bytes can be obscured/encrypted using skip32 or other mechanism.

It there any possibility to do this in the core?
I don't want to increment blockchain size since it will have a big impact on the long term, but can we give a new meaning to some memo fields?

@vikram
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:21:49 pm by ElMato »