Author Topic: Bitfinex has been hacked  (Read 2313 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
This is Bitfinex's response:

Bitfinex and BitGo Partner to Create World’s First Real-Time Proof of Reserve Bitcoin Exchange
Posted: about 4 hours ago

We are very excited to unveil our new Bitcoin settlement system and security architecture that for the first time ever offers complete segregation of all customer bitcoins. Based on BitGo’s revolutionary multi-signature technology, we are now able to provide individual multi-signature wallets for each customer, allowing traders to verify funds on the Blockchain for complete transparency while retaining institutional-level security.

Starting today we will begin using unique sets of keys for each user, and will separate each user’s funds on the public blockchain. This powerful combination of BitGo’s multi-sig technology with our exchange mitigates most of the shared pool security risks while simultaneously enabling users to verify their individual holdings on the blockchain.

We will start migrating users' accounts to the BitGo system over the next couple days. We hope to have the full migration completed in less than a week.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Yes I know Ive said all these things before, but we cant go advertising BitShares as a better alternative to BitFinex until its actually usable.
I totally agree .. also, it's r/bitcoin .. you can't just go there and tell them about BitShares .. they won't listen ..
This time, I tried a more defensive approach and that way was able to start a rather interesting discussion without anyone calling "shit altcoin" ..
Goal was to make them curious and let them do some research on their own ..

Exactly this ... let them get convinced by their own research ;) Love this approach !!!!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline betax

• View Profile
Very interesting conversation :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yes I know Ive said all these things before, but we cant go advertising BitShares as a better alternative to BitFinex until its actually usable.
I totally agree .. also, it's r/bitcoin .. you can't just go there and tell them about BitShares .. they won't listen ..
This time, I tried a more defensive approach and that way was able to start a rather interesting discussion without anyone calling "shit altcoin" ..
Goal was to make them curious and let them do some research on their own ..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
how about a blockchain that can do leverage/lending/bonds and has an exchange?
all without counterparty risk?!

Yeah but we just arent yet in a position to benefit from their problems:
  -bond market isnt ready yet
  -web wallet says "Assert Exception" when I clicked on the market: https://wallet.bitshares.org/#/market/BitBTC:BitUSD/guest/buy
  -and it has no liquidity
  -and it has no obvious deposit page

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:58:21 pm by speedy »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
AndAlso bitcoin talk is downwas hacked.. i'm wondering if there is a connection...
fixed it for you :)

chryspano

And bitcoin talk is down.. i'm wondering if there is a connection...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:07:15 am by xeroc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ »