Author Topic: Utilizing UIA's / Delegate spots to help school children  (Read 939 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
This is a minefield.  There are lots of different charities, and it's very controversial which ones are accomplishing real good, which ones are well intentioned but create dependencies and unintended consequences through poor implementation, and which ones are outright scams.  Picking which charities to support is a very personal decision and requires a lot of research (at least if your goal is actually improving things and not just easing your conscience).  As such, I'd prefer making BitShares more efficient to leave our customers with more money to choose their own charities, rather than imposing any more personal philosophy than necessary on BitShares users and investors in a "take it or leave it" manner.

Now if someone wanted to start a sustainable sanitary pad production operation in a third world nation to fill that need in a sustainable way and improve the local economy, BitShares could certainly facilitate the operation with UIAs and financial services.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Hey there guys,

I've been doing a fair amount of tinkering with gaming and crypto over the past months. I am getting closer to making a  few announcements in the days to come. With the major announcement set for release on Monday, I figured its best we let that excitement pass before I made any announcements on FS' behalf. That said, I am posting this thread in regards to checking for interest in regards to utilizing Bitshares Delegate posts / Dev fund re-allocation for charity. Apart from working on gaming, I've been involved with a social enterprise in a 3rd world nation for a while. It intends to make cheap, sanitary pads available for bottom of the pyramid markets. 1 out of 3 girls drop out of school in certain nations in the east, due to lack of access to pads. Nations in Africa have reported women giving into prostitution   to keep themselves alive, post  dropping out of school and having access to no source of income.  The organization has been doing its fair amount of research for the past 6 months and worked upon creating distribution channels via NGO's catering to schools and direct access to manufacturers currently supplying sanitary pads to main-stream brands. 

Earlier today, while working on a document for the same organization, I realized how meagre dollar amounts could create massive impact on such economies.
For instance, 1 dollar could pay for a month's worth of pads for a girl going to school (3 packets of 7 pads each are aplenty) OR - 12 USD could mean enough pads for a year. To put this in perspectve, a delegate spot churning 1k USD (I know its lower, adusted for calculation) could provide enough pads for 600 students for a month. Going by the calculation of 40 students (average no. of girls per school), that's sufficient pads for 15 schools. Ofcourse, at scale the dynamics and feasibility of this changes. I see a number of delegate spots on the forum and I figured it would be good to bounce this idea.

I personally don't perceive, charity to be a sustainable model of business, but am a huge believer in CSR. If the blockchain could make its impact on 100 schools, just through "transfer fees", that's the future right there, in my personal opinion. The organization is currently experimenting with the target market to see if the children can afford the pads, by doing a test programme with 10 schools by June 15 and intends to be 100 schools by Q3 2015. 

I am open to any suggestions/ Queries from the users side.
P.s - I have kept the details / names of the organization private to keep my personal life away from the forums, but am happy verifying more details about it :)