Author Topic: Bit shares web wallet doesn't work.  (Read 1912 times)

Offline phillyguy

Am I correct in saying you cannot currently access your desktop client wallet through the web wallet? The main thing you can do with the web wallet (currently) is create a temp wallet you can use to send funds to your desktop client wallet? That was my understanding so please correct me if not true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Xeldal

I don't recommend metaexchange until they fix their rate reporting. the rates listed on the site are admittedly bogus and not what you can expect to receive.  It apparently only affects a couple markets though and is a temporary 'experiment', so BTC:bUSD may be fine.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,12317.msg210481.html#msg210481

The BTC->bitUSD pair does not use the liquidity based pricing. The pricing is completely based off the internal market; a spread against what BTS:bitUSD is actually trading at. It's probably why I'm buying BTC for 199 bitUSD vs Blocktrade's 160 and selling BTC for 212 bitUSD vs their 231. Shapeshift is paying more for BTC (212 vs 199) but are charging a lot more for it (251 vs 211).

There is a good reason they may be working with a 44% spread. There is a fairly large price disparity between the internal and external prices of BTC. I think I can make a go of it with my relatively narrow 6.5% spread since I'm seeing a lot of volume in and out. As long as I can avoid having to refresh funds on the external market it should work out.

However you raised another point that i think needs addressing: Locking in the price. The timing of this should be when the currency is first seen on the network. For Bitcoin and Bitshares this is close enough to instant. The long transaction times of BTC mean holding the price open until it settles can result in not getting what you expect. Sometimes you'll get more and sometimes you'll get less. Guess which is the only result we have ever had reported  ;) . Anyway, I recognize that as something that needs to be fixed.
I shouldn't have said metaExchange as a whole, as I've had no issue with most of their markets.  Just the BTS:BTC market.

I would be ecstatic if metaExchange, or whoever, offered instant lock in.  That would really take the guess work / risk out of moving liquidity around from market to market(for me anyway), but I understand the need for confirmation.  That risk is not my complaint.  I can deal with the risk that the market moves against me within the terms of a trade.  The only issue I had with mX is the rate on some markets are not as advertised.  If you can only get the 1BTC= XBTS rate when you trade less than .01 BTC, and not when you trade 1 BTC then the advertised rate is misleading.  Perhaps something more like blocktrades rate discovery would be beneficial.  So long as I can find the rate I can expect, there need not be any issues. 

The BTC:BTS market is the only one I had this experience with.  I've not had any issues (that I noticed) with BTC:bitUSD. : )

Offline Riverhead

I don't recommend metaexchange until they fix their rate reporting. the rates listed on the site are admittedly bogus and not what you can expect to receive.  It apparently only affects a couple markets though and is a temporary 'experiment', so BTC:bUSD may be fine.

The BTC->bitUSD pair does not use the liquidity based pricing. The pricing is completely based off the internal market; a spread against what BTS:bitUSD is actually trading at. It's probably why I'm buying BTC for 205 bitUSD vs Blocktrade's 160 and selling BTC for 212 bitUSD vs their 231. Shapeshift is paying more for BTC (212 vs 199) but are charging a lot more for it (251 vs 211).

There is a good reason they may be working with a 44% spread. There is a fairly large price disparity between the internal and external prices of BTC. I think I can make a go of it with my relatively narrow 6.5% spread since I'm seeing a lot of volume in and out. As long as I can avoid having to refresh funds on the external market it should work out.

However you raised another point that i think needs addressing: Locking in the price. The timing of this should be when the currency is first seen on the network. For Bitcoin and Bitshares this is close enough to instant. The long transaction times of BTC mean holding the price open until it settles can result in not getting what you expect. Sometimes you'll get more and sometimes you'll get less. Guess which is the only result we have ever had reported  ;) . Anyway, I recognize that as something that needs to be fixed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:06:03 pm by Riverhead »

Offline eazyigz

• View Profile
You should be able to receive funds using the web wallet.

I only use metaexchange.info, which is similar to shapeshift, but anyway:

Does Shapeshift let you send to a BTS public key and not just to a registered username? Bter had that restriction for a while. I assume you dont yet have a registered BTS username as you havent used any BTS funds to buy one yet.

Hi, I believe Shapeshift only let's you specify a username.  And anyway, when I created my Bitshares accountaccount I had to specify and username/password in order to receive create my Wallet.  In guess the web page for Bitshares wallet just isn't functional on mobile devices.

Xeldal

Hello,
I have placed my first buy order of BitUSD through Shapeshift.io.  I specified the account name to buy the bitshares with - same account name which I specified upon opening my Bitshares account through the desktop  client.  Now, I went to wallet.bitshares.org, expecting to be able to login and view my newly purchased BitUSD, but the webpage doesn't render correctly on mobile, nor does it let me view my owned BitUSD.  So I'm wondering - is the only way for me to retrieve my purchased BitUSD through the desktop client again?  I am traveling and do not have my laptop with me.  I was hoping to do all this Bitshares stuff on my mobile phone, like Coinbase let's you...

Thanks,
Igor

Yes, the webwallet is not currently supported for mobile access.  This issue has been reported several other times.  Until they fix that you'll need to access the webwallet from a desktop/laptop.

ShapeShift has a better rate for BTC -> bitUSD and blocktrades.us is more reliable IMO. (you get what you expect)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
You should be able to receive funds using the web wallet.

Does Shapeshift let you send to a BTS public key and not just to a registered username? Bter had that restriction for a while. I assume you dont yet have a registered BTS username as you havent used any BTS funds to buy one yet.

Offline eazyigz

• View Profile
Hello,
I have placed my first buy order of BitUSD through Shapeshift.io.  I specified the account name to buy the bitshares with - same account name which I specified upon opening my Bitshares account through the desktop  client.  Now, I went to wallet.bitshares.org, expecting to be able to login and view my newly purchased BitUSD, but the webpage doesn't render correctly on mobile, nor does it let me view my owned BitUSD.  So I'm wondering - is the only way for me to retrieve my purchased BitUSD through the desktop client again?  I am traveling and do not have my laptop with me.  I was hoping to do all this Bitshares stuff on my mobile phone, like Coinbase let's you...

Thanks,
Igor
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:32:31 pm by eazyigz »