Author Topic: The Bitshares Handbook  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I got the handbook idea when I was thinking about doing a website in Finnish that explains what Bitshares is (for the referral program). For that I'll need a good documentation because I don't know yet how to explain all the features. I'm a little bit perfectionist so I really would like to include every tool that Bitshares has to offer, so that anybody who reads the handbook will know what they can do with Bitshares and how it works.

First of all, I'd like to have a complete table of contents. This would be very helpful even if there won't be any handbook. It's good to know what there is that should be known.

And then a little bit of brainstorming. Do we really need a handbook or will the official documentation be enough? Or is the documentation going to be too detailed for newbies?  Should the handbook has it's own domain or should bitshares.org host it? Please throw in any ideas you might have regarding this.

I have a full time job so that limits the time I can put in to this project. And English isn't my native language so at least I need somebody to proofread and to write some of the most complicated stuff.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Current problem, most content has to get updated before we can publish it!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
this is really needed .. @cass afaik has started a documentation platform based on markdown and jekyll but i am not sure if devs are already working on the content ... @cass: whats the status?

Currently on hold i guess ..! Yeah, it a cute doc framework .. but AFAIK it's not jekyll but eats markdown as well as :)!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
this is really needed .. @cass afaik has started a documentation platform based on markdown and jekyll but i am not sure if devs are already working on the content ... @cass: whats the status?

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Problem with Bitshares has been that there are no good documentation for newbies. So I got an idea of a handbook that would be a primer for people without any prior knowledge of Bitshares. Like "read this and you have a clear picture what Bitshares is and what you can do with it".

When the 2.0 comes out there will be lots of new stuff and I'm pretty sure that people will be confused what for that all is and how to use everything. A handbook would be a good solution to that.

Do we really need this or is normal documentation and wiki good enough? Are developers already planning some kind of full documentation that is newbie-friendly?

Here is a quick table of contents that I made. Not in any way complete but to give you an idea what I'm looking for.

- Users
-- Wallet (how to use)
-- Currencies / Assets
--- Recurring and scheduled payments
-- Accounts
--- Membership
--- Account transfer
--- Dynamic permissions

- Owners
-- Voting
(I'd like to emphasize the difference between DPOS and other consensus mechanisms. BTS owners can increase the value of their holdings by voting wisely. It's really important that new people understand this.)

- Businesses
-- BitAssets / User Issued Assets (how to)
-- BitAssets / User Issued Assets (what for)
-- Referrals
-- Business Examples
--- Exchange

- Witnesses
-- How to be a good witness

- Delegates
-- How to be a good delegate

- Workers
-- How to make a worker proposal