Author Topic: [untrue] Forced settlement makes the blockchain a market maker  (Read 4050 times)

Offline monsterer

In other words, the shorts will normally not "lose out" and with the daily limit on the percent of BitUSD that can be force settled their "losses" are minimal and all risks are ultimately priced in. 

In other words, no one gets screwed and all risks can be estimated and priced.

I had forgotten about the force settlement delay. This will indeed allow some amount of risk to be priced in, but does that lead to a better or worse price for the shorts? If the feed adjusts ahead of time to compensate for the total expected movement in price due to the force settlement volume, then that gives a different total cost than if the feed gradually adjusted away as the volume was processed. In reality, I'd expect this uncertainty to cause a wider spread.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Correct, whenever someone forces settlement or the Black Swan ProtectionTM kicks in, the price of BTS will be naturally forced towards the moon.

So the worst that can happen when people panic and trigger the escape hatch is that you make money on your BTS(due to logical buy pressure).  Do you agree now that this is much better than the old "panic sell your BTS because the 30-day rule is clunky 30-day rule"  ?

I'm not sure you fully understood my point. In the 2.0 design, the shorts are settled at the feed price, meaning there will be no reactionary rise in the BTS price to compensate for all the bitUSD selling - this will lead to the arbitrage opportunities which will mean the shorts lose out.

Why is it that people complain about the premium and then pretend it doesn't exist by claiming people will actually settle at the feed WITHOUT reaction rise in the BTS price relative to BitUSD.       Either there is no premium *or* there *is* a reactionary rise in the BTS price before the forced settlement executes.

In other words, the shorts will normally not "lose out" and with the daily limit on the percent of BitUSD that can be force settled their "losses" are minimal and all risks are ultimately priced in. 

In other words, no one gets screwed and all risks can be estimated and priced.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline monsterer

Correct, whenever someone forces settlement or the Black Swan ProtectionTM kicks in, the price of BTS will be naturally forced towards the moon.

So the worst that can happen when people panic and trigger the escape hatch is that you make money on your BTS(due to logical buy pressure).  Do you agree now that this is much better than the old "panic sell your BTS because the 30-day rule is clunky 30-day rule"  ?

I'm not sure you fully understood my point. In the 2.0 design, the shorts are settled at the feed price, meaning there will be no reactionary rise in the BTS price to compensate for all the bitUSD selling - this will lead to the arbitrage opportunities which will mean the shorts lose out.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

Yes, if someone is force settling below the market, they themselves are paying a "premium" for the convenience. BM has a theory to also make them pay an additional premium based on liquidity, too, by moving the BTA sell wall away from the external feed value proportional to the trading value's deviation to the external feed.

Forced settlement of bitUSD shorts by longs cashing out to BTS is a bitUSD sell, which should, by rights, push up the price of BTS leading to a worse settlement price as the cash out volume increases.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Ok, well I guess the conclusion must be that if the blockchain does not issue BTS in a forced settle, the blockchain cannot lose out due to arbitrage, however, the shorts will?

Yes, if someone is force settling below the market, they themselves are paying a "premium" for the convenience. BM has a theory to also make them pay an additional premium based on liquidity, too, by moving the BTA sell wall away from the external feed value proportional to the trading value's deviation to the external feed.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline monsterer

Ok, well I guess the conclusion must be that if the blockchain does not issue BTS in a forced settle, the blockchain cannot lose out due to arbitrage, however, the shorts will?

Offline monsterer

No BTS is issued by forced settlement EVER.

Thanks for the clarification - I remembered hearing something about infinite liquidity at the feed, which is what sparked this post, but looking for the reference recently, I was unable to find it again.

Offline bytemaster

No BTS is issued by forced settlement EVER.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Xeldal

The blockchain is not a traditional market maker and does not actually hold a balance.  It does not need to balance its books or hedge in any way.   

Although technically it is holding the BTS collateral of the shorts, this is still not the same as having a balance.  All funds are held by the market participants.  The blockchain is simply able, at a users request, to close a short and unlock the collateral.  Its also only operating on one side of the market,  I'm not aware of any way the blockchain can sell your bUSD.

As I understand it, the forced settlement will eat through the orderbook first, but will then actually start to issue BTS to make up the difference between the available orders and the price feed. This issuing creates the effective inventory imbalance.

I don't think its designed to issue anything.  Its simply forcing the least collateralized shorts to cover at the feed.  There can't exist a situation where there is more bUSD being sold/settled then there are available BTS from locked short collateral, so no reason to issue new BTS.   Assuming normal conditions, not a black swan.

Thats my understanding anyway, I would not support issuing new BTS for forced settlement.

Offline monsterer

Block chain is never exposed to risk.   The risk of loss is priced into a premium.  The feed should rarely be called upon to settle because better prices can be found above the feed.

As soon as the blockchain starts issuing BTS to meet a settlement request, it takes on inventory risk.

Offline monsterer

The blockchain is not a traditional market maker and does not actually hold a balance.  It does not need to balance its books or hedge in any way.   

Although technically it is holding the BTS collateral of the shorts, this is still not the same as having a balance.  All funds are held by the market participants.  The blockchain is simply able, at a users request, to close a short and unlock the collateral.  Its also only operating on one side of the market,  I'm not aware of any way the blockchain can sell your bUSD.

As I understand it, the forced settlement will eat through the orderbook first, but will then actually start to issue BTS to make up the difference between the available orders and the price feed. This issuing creates the effective inventory imbalance.

Xeldal

With the bitAssets 2.0 proposal, forced settlement at the feed price means the blockchain essentially becomes a market maker, because it will need to be able to exchange USD for BTS when the existing book is insufficient to meet demand.

This simple exchange process exposes the blockchain to inventory risk. Inventory risk occurs when a market maker holds more of one currency than it does of the other - the risk is that the currency it holds the greater quantity of could fall in price leading to further risk and potential cascade of losses.

A market maker is risk neutral if they hold equal value on both sides of the market. Then, they are essentially in a hedged position. This is exactly equivalent to an equal match of bitUSD longs and shorts.

Whenever the blockchain is forced to settle at the feed, it must be able to respond to the change in demand by altering the price it is able to settle at. However, in the current design, this will not happen instantly, it relies on the feed price changing. This will only happen after arbitragers have taken advantage of the profit available between the price on an external exchange and the price on the internal exchange. Once this has happened, only then will the feed price update to compensate for this discrepancy.

IMO the gap between any large settlement and the blockchain's ability to adjust to it will mean the blockchain will lose every time. Thoughts?

The blockchain is not a traditional market maker and does not actually hold a balance.  It does not need to balance its books or hedge in any way.   Although technically it is holding the BTS collateral of the shorts, this is still not the same as having a balance.  All funds are held by the market participants.  The blockchain is simply able, at a users request, to close a short and unlock the collateral.  Its also only operating on one side of the market,  I'm not aware of any way the blockchain can sell your bUSD.

Block chain is never exposed to risk.   The risk of loss is priced into a premium.  The feed should rarely be called upon to settle because better prices can be found above the feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+5%

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
what about the relative order future... Has bytemaster abandoned it totally?
In that way "all"** users are market-makers? Not?

**users that use the relative order future

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
I will check the ether rule. It seems they have a better rule, not code the market make in the blockchain.

(We just code to make super USD, but lack limit of super USD. This will broke the balance)