Author Topic: Greek island agrees to test digital currency  (Read 2855 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
what would be truly interesting is for a DAC to figure out a decentralized way of introducing metal backing.

Only when the human smartchain can control the robots who control and protect the gold vaults will we have truly decentralized tangible commodity backed currencies.  Decentralization in this case would mean physically unstoppable open source coded robots controlled by the global human consensus.

Looks like we are going to need some more delegates for this one fellas.

Like this :

Whoops, I mean like this:

HAHAHAHAHA  +5% +5% +5%

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
what would be truly interesting is for a DAC to figure out a decentralized way of introducing metal backing.

Only when the human smartchain can control the robots who control and protect the gold vaults will we have truly decentralized tangible commodity backed currencies.  Decentralization in this case would mean physically unstoppable open source coded robots controlled by the global human consensus.

Looks like we are going to need some more delegates for this one fellas.

Like this :

Whoops, I mean like this:

You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
"Nautiluscoin was originally designed as stable store of value with a "stability fund" that would act as an internal central bank to reduce the notorious volatility associated with digital currencies like bitcoin."

Well that's one way to do it (trust that the central bank won't screw you method), but isn't that exactly what got us here in the first place.  Live and learn I guess.

i'm all for full decentralization, but it'd be interesting to see freely competitive hybrid models like a gold-backed crypto. that kind of assurance would make a lot more people out there feel comfortable about switching over to crypto, which would ultimately be a good thing for us. having a central authority in charge of buying and storing that gold introduces a whole new point of vulnerability, but so be it...what would be truly interesting is for a DAC to figure out a decentralized way of introducing metal backing.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
From cnbc article...
The mayor of the Greek island of Agistri has agreed to...

As a greek I can only say that the combination of those two words usually is an indication of either malice or stupitidy.

Not to mention the whole "gold backing" scheme.

LOL great point! i'd trust this a lot more if Greeks were spontaneously adopting it, but not at all when a politician steps up and supports it; most likely after a nice pre-mine chunk is secretly deposited in one of his wallets.

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
"Nautiluscoin was originally designed as stable store of value with a "stability fund" that would act as an internal central bank to reduce the notorious volatility associated with digital currencies like bitcoin."

Well that's one way to do it (trust that the central bank won't screw you method), but isn't that exactly what got us here in the first place.  Live and learn I guess.

You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline Buck Fankers

• Under New Management
    • View Profile
    • TuckFheman.com
  • BitShares: buckfankers
Nautiluscoin up 75% - way to generate hype.  ;)

Just look at who created the coin.

chryspano

From cnbc article...
The mayor of the Greek island of Agistri has agreed to...

As a greek I can only say that the combination of those two words usually is an indication of either malice or stupitidy.

Not to mention the whole "gold backing" scheme.

Offline fuzzy

yeah, seriously! wish i had some inside intel on that article coming out!

if this experiment actually proceeds i wouldn't mind supporting with a little investment, but i'm not yet convinced this is anything more than a quick pump n dumper
Who of you can recall AuroraCoin?
* Raises hand *
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
http://cryptolife.net/scam-alert-nautiluscoin/

Looks like this could be bogus?  Having been to many of these small island towns, it's hard to believe any of them would jump on the crypto bandwagon.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

if this experiment actually proceeds i wouldn't mind supporting with a little investment, but i'm not yet convinced this is anything more than a quick pump n dumper
Who of you can recall AuroraCoin?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
yeah supposedly 'gold backed' but some things that worry me:

-originators retain majority tokens/coins that are released to market as demand increases. will this just be a massive profit opportunity for the guys holding the coins?

-despite claiming to be backed by gold, the metal is only purchased over time with proceeds from transaction fees. if this were a serious government effort, it'd be best to start the pot with $10M or something worth of gold in a vault, then implement the transaction fee rolling scheme.

Offline MJK

• View Profile