Author Topic: What Is Bitshares? A Financial OS.  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I like to see BitShares as a platform for smart contracts. So OS metaphor works pretty well here, but it's not necessary have to be narrowed down to financial applications.

I definitely see your point. Why limit Bitshares to a single niche? But is it really wise to attempt creating an OS that does everything or is it better to focus on a niche? If Bitshares were architected from the ground up to cater toward finance, I think that would offer us a significant competitive advantage.

Offline phillyguy

I think CarpetRide and BTSWildPig have come the closest to what MethodX is talking about - language that is understandable to the non crypto or tech savvy person.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

For the tech savvy: BitShares is an engine that operates as networked distributed nodes enabling the exchange and ownership of digital assets.

Everything else is more or less an implementation detail.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
BitShares is system that facilitates all kinds of financial and business applications using blockchain technology with high performance and low cost .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline valzav

• View Profile
I like to see BitShares as a platform for smart contracts. So OS metaphor works pretty well here, but it's not necessary have to be narrowed down to financial applications.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
I like FinancialOS.  You can say look at all these fintech startups that have popped up in the last two yearsBitshares is going to be their backend operating system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:02:08 pm by Carpet Ride »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I have tried using the phrase, "Bitcoin, with a built-in exchange between internal assets," to explain Bitshares. That doesn't cover everything, but a good chunk of the core tech can be touched on through this theme.

While accurate, this assumes an understanding of what Bitcoin is, what an exchange is and what "internal assets" mean. This limits your definition to only the most informed crypto hobbyists.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:47:56 pm by Method-X »

Offline Chronos

I have tried using the phrase, "Bitcoin, with a built-in exchange between internal assets," to explain Bitshares. That doesn't cover everything, but a good chunk of the core tech can be touched on through this theme.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
A metaphor is an important tool used to convey complicated ideas to the general public. Since the beginning of Bitcoin (and especially Bitshares) we've had a very hard time coming up with a simple way to convey the core essence of what is being created here. Is it a company, community, bank or a government? The truth is, Bitshares has the potential to be all of these things. So what do all of these things have in common? What is their essence?

ANSWER: They can all be described as types of operating systems.

I'd like to conduct a fun little experiment. Pretend like you're chatting with a relatively tech savvy person and he asks you "what is bitshares?" In your own words, describe Bitshares using the FinancialOS metaphor as your foundation.