Author Topic: Changing/Resetting BTS Wallet/Client Password  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
Thanks guys, using the command line worked. Much appreciated!

The actual command and syntax used was:

wallet_change_passphrase "new_passphrase"

where the new passphrase is enclosed in double quotes. (The new_passphrase_verify parameter is optional.)

Thanks again!

-Merc

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

go to the console   ( bottom of your account names > advanced > Console )

and use the command  "wallet_change_passphrase" like this:

wallet_change_passphrase <new_passphrase> [new_passphrase_verify]

PS It is grayed-out for all of us...
@vikram
can we fix it! (?)   :)

? Is the change-password file-menu option grayed-out for everyone, i.e. this just how it is for whatever reason for the time being?

I believe that cmd is now walletpassphrasechange .. however I have submitted a bug report on it. At least in linux client, attempting to use it killed my wallet afterwards. The encryption got messed up somehow. Anyways its in github now and I am sure it's likely going to be taken care of eventually.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
go to the console   ( bottom of your account names > advanced > Console )

and use the command  "wallet_change_passphrase" like this:

wallet_change_passphrase <new_passphrase> [new_passphrase_verify]

PS It is grayed-out for all of us...
@vikram
can we fix it! (?)   :)

? Is the change-password file-menu option grayed-out for everyone, i.e. this just how it is for whatever reason for the time being?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:41:56 am by liondani »

Offline emailtooaj

Hello Mercury and welcome aboard!!!
Please don't take my answer as official, as I'm not sure I'm 100% correct... But I do believe that the password you select/choose also generates your private wallet key and if you registered your name with that password, then that user name is now linked to the chosen password and can not be changed or modified. Again, maybe someone else can chime in who's  more knowledgeable in this area and clearly answer this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
Hello,

I'm just starting to get on-board with BitShares and I would like to reset my BTS Client password (for security/confidence sake), but the File/Change-Password menu option is grayed out and not selectable.

I went so far as to uninstall and reinstall the BTS Client hoping it would give me the option to recreate my wallet/password, but after re-installing the BTS Client (as I feared), it simply reverted back to the previous account/credentials.

I registered my BTS account, hoping perhaps I might then be provided an un-grayed-out change-password menu option I could use, but it's still grayed-out and not selectable.

? Am I overlooking or missing something?

Thanks in advance for anyone's clarification on this.

-tb