Author Topic: BTS vs. Other "Decentralized Asset Exchanges"  (Read 3373 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Dan Larimer keeps a blog that is one of the best sources for research IMO. If you've not read it already here is an article discussing the free market for decentralization and goes some way to explaining how bitshares are issued
http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/article/2015/01/20/The-Minimal-Requirement-for-Decentalization

http://bytemaster.github.io/article/2015/01/20/The-Minimal-Requirement-for-Decentalization/

this link should work for sure...

srrryyyyy @Permie - i'Ve accidentally edited/updated your post! f*** pls excuse .. the quote and edit button as admin are directly side by side - i tried to restore your post but without luck!
I just want quote your section with link to blog and point to a working link ... so pls excuse again .. :(
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I'm working on such a comparison at the moment: 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1153740.0 

Please come comment on features that make BTS unique (and let me know if I have anything wrong or things I should add).
Thanks!

You may like to update the privacy feature of bts in your chart - it is moving away from titan and into 'confidential transactions '.  See https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17687.0.html
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline jwinterm

I'm working on such a comparison at the moment: 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1153740.0 

Please come comment on features that make BTS unique (and let me know if I have anything wrong or things I should add).
Thanks!

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
We (BTS) not only needs to be 'different', 'better', than all the others out there, but we need to be able to quickly and easily get that information/understanding into any and all newcomer's hands.   
Yeah, this has been a problem. Essential information has been scattered on the website, wiki, forum, youtube videos, hangout recordings, etc. It has been a challenge to learn all the important things about Bitshares. On the other hand, this is somewhat understandable. Development has been fast and lots of different things has been tried.

I hope this is going to be changed when the 2.0 comes out. The new website is already a big step forward with clear explanations of the important features.

Yes, I understand. This is all part of being in on the ground floor of a new, innovative project. If we waited until everything was "perfect", - it would never happen. It's kinda like the chicken and the egg dilemma.

Either way, I'm happy to be on-board and can hopefully provide some useful input, support, and other benefits to the BitShares project as it continues to develop, grow, becomes more established, and ultimately blasts-off into the mainstream!

Peace.

-Mercury   

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
We (BTS) not only needs to be 'different', 'better', than all the others out there, but we need to be able to quickly and easily get that information/understanding into any and all newcomer's hands.   
Yeah, this has been a problem. Essential information has been scattered on the website, wiki, forum, youtube videos, hangout recordings, etc. It has been a challenge to learn all the important things about Bitshares. On the other hand, this is somewhat understandable. Development has been fast and lots of different things has been tried.

I hope this is going to be changed when the 2.0 comes out. The new website is already a big step forward with clear explanations of the important features.

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I did ultimately find a comparison table on this forum outlining some of the differences among BTS and other cryptos, but I came across it only by chance and can't seem to find it now that I'm looking for it again.

This is just a thought, but perhaps the community could put that comparison table, if not an even more definitive or comprehensive comparison (video?) and put it somewhere where it'll be right smack 'in their face' when people come to the forum so they can readily see a link to go to for review.

From what I've been studying and researching, BitShares is most certainly in a league of its own (that's why I'm here and invested in it) and with sooo many new crypto-currencies (and decentralized "financial ecosystems", etc. i.e. NXT...?) vying for attention from the world, I think it would serve our community (and efforts) well for any and all newcomers to have clear-cut, easy-to-find, 'in-your-face'  :) access to the information that will quickly help show them the differences and benefits of BTS compared with all the others popping up out there on the crypto-scene. (Not unlike the excellent newcomer "Video Tutorials", bam! right there, at the top of the list.)

It's a confusing new world out there for most people and the quicker and more efficiently we can "bring them up to speed", reducing their research time, confusion, and uncertainties, the better for everyone. After a long, hard day at work, etc. most people, regardless of their interest and enthusiasm, have limited time and energy to go on a long-and-wide information hunting excursion to find answers to some of the more fundamental questions they'll likely have in trying to decide what BTS is, how it differs from other potential cryptos and competitors (NXT?), etc. ( A big, bold, smack-in-your-face link: "HOW BTS IS DIFFERENT (& BETTER) THAN ALL THE REST")

I think the quicker (easier to find) we can get the basics answered for newcomers, the quicker they'll dig deeper into it all and feel more inspired, comfortable, and enthusiastic jumping on-board.

Anyway, just a thought. A consideration.

(Damn, I wish I had bookmarked that page with the comparison table already put together, because now I'm hunting again myself to track it back down.. It's a very helpful and useful comparison table, but it might go a little farther/deeper in its comparisons/differences with something like NXT, but, - where the hell was it again....? 8) )

Peace.

-Merc
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:46:12 pm by Mercury »

Xeldal

The initial distribution of BTS was through traditional mining like bitcoin.  You could mine PTS (protoshares) and later you could purchase AGS(angleshares) with PTS or BTC.  BTS was sharedropped 50/50 on PTS and AGS holders.

Here's an excellent recap of BitShares history:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14019.msg182299#msg182299

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Dan Larimer keeps a blog that is one of the best sources for research IMO. If you've not read it already here is an article discussing the free market for decentralization and goes some way to explaining how bitshares are issued
http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/article/2015/01/20/The-Minimal-Requirement-for-Decentalization

http://bytemaster.github.io/article/2015/01/20/The-Minimal-Requirement-for-Decentalization/

this link should work for sure...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:25:25 pm by cass »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
a) When you purchase BTS on any exchange, the BTC you use to purchase goes to the user(could be anyone) who put them up for sale on the exchange.  Just like you put an order to buy BTS on an exchange, you can put an order to sell BTS on an exchange.  If you're talking about a bridge service like MetaExchange or Blocktrades, these markets are maintained by various individuals and you would be buying from them, they receive your BTC...  but they generally source their coins from various exchanges as well and just act as a middle man.  ShapeShift is another bridge service that does the same thing.  So in almost every case the BTC your using to purchase ends up going to some random person on the other end of an exchange.

Thank you for your response. But, I must still not being "getting" something. Where do the random people with bitshares to sell get their bitshares?

With BTC, I understand the mining concept and the miners doing the work get the blockchain's generated BTCs and can then sell them into the market, but with bitshares, my understanding (at the moment) is that they are not "mined" by Miners, so where do they come from? How or who gets to issue the bitshares?

I must be missing some important, fundamental concept here: Who/How are the "bitshares" brought into existence? My limited understanding at this time has me concluding someone (some entity) is in a position to simply create the bitshares "out of thin air" and then sell them into the marketplace for BTCs...

What am I missing? Where/how/who creates the bitshares themselves?

Thanks for trying to help me "get it". It's very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:15:33 pm by Mercury »

Xeldal

Hello,

a) When someone purchases "bitshares" (not BitAssets, but the bitshares used to purchase the BitAssets) with their BTC on one of the BTC exchanges, where do the BTCs go? Whose pockets do the BTCs end up in?

b) Is there a cap on the number of bitshares that will/can be generated? i.e. Does the share dilution ever decline or just increase indefinitely?

I've been reading and watching a lot of information about BitShares, I apologize if I've missed (or not understood) the answers to my questions while going through all the info I've gone through so far.

I thought perhaps just asking these questions pointblank on the BitShares forum might get me to some answers more efficiently and quickly. 

Thanks in advance for your help and clarifications.

-Merc

a) When you purchase BTS on any exchange, the BTC you use to purchase goes to the user(could be anyone) who put them up for sale on the exchange.  Just like you put an order to buy BTS on an exchange, you can put an order to sell BTS on an exchange.  If you're talking about a bridge service like MetaExchange or Blocktrades, these markets are maintained by various individuals and you would be buying from them, they receive your BTC...  but they generally source their coins from various exchanges as well and just act as a middle man.  ShapeShift is another bridge service that does the same thing.  So in almost every case the BTC your using to purchase ends up going to some random person on the other end of an exchange.

b)There is a cap.  We are currently at around 2% annualized dilution.  more stats here: http://bitsharesblocks.com/charts/supply
dilution is controlled/determined by the holders of BTS.  dilution can if desired by user votes, go to zero or even go negative.  A portion of all fees are burned and reduce the total supply.

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
Hello,

I've been researching and bringing myself up to speed on the BitShares concepts/platform, etc.

Can anyone tell me or point me to any information that provides a simple, succinct comparison that will help me understand the differences between the BitShares DAC exchange and these other "Distributed/Decentralized Crypto-Asset Exchanges"?

http://cryptoassetcharts.info/markets/info
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=decentralized+cypto-currency+exchanges&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=distributed+crypto-currency+exchanges&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Along the same lines, can anyone explain or point me to any straightforward and succinct documentation/information regarding:

a) When someone purchases "bitshares" (not BitAssets, but the bitshares used to purchase the BitAssets) with their BTC on one of the BTC exchanges, where do the BTCs go? Whose pockets do the BTCs end up in?

b) Is there a cap on the number of bitshares that will/can be generated? i.e. Does the share dilution ever decline or just increase indefinitely?

I've been reading and watching a lot of information about BitShares, I apologize if I've missed (or not understood) the answers to my questions while going through all the info I've gone through so far.

I thought perhaps just asking these questions pointblank on the BitShares forum might get me to some answers more efficiently and quickly. 

Thanks in advance for your help and clarifications.

-Merc